Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is there a need for dual Rcvr with 2.4 System?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 04:17 AM
Red_Jeepster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a need for dual Rcvr with 2.4 System?

Hello Guys, I am about to embark on a large build of a Super Flyin King. I am reading through the manual and other places to see that originally many guys put in dual Receivers and batteries. Is this a real issue today?
I've been in the hobby for over 30 years, building and flying... and have never felt the need for dual system.
What are the PRO's and CON's of this?

This may have been a topic before, but I missed it.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:20 AM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is there a need for dual Rcvr with 2.4 System?

Redundancy!! We do it so one receiver works each half of the plane.. I have never done it myself. And would like to know more on this topic myself..
Old 05-24-2013, 05:01 AM
Red_Jeepster

Hi Warbird. I get that part. But I wonder how does that work with Binding 2 receivers to a Futaba?
BTW... I have never had a receiver fail me. I have had a servo quit, but that was the result o using a servo without checking it fully after a previous crash.
I know that receivers get blamed A LOT by the guy walking out to the pile of balsa that use to be his plane! LOL But in reality it is 90% of the time the result of "DUMB THUMB" error.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:41 AM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should be able to bind it like you would be installing it into another plane!! I know if I turn on all my planes at once they all work?? But i really haven't ran redundancy, only battery backs and two switches!!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:57 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey Red, one thing to keep in mind RE multiple receivers: make SURE the receivers you use support pre-selected fail-safe position on all channels.
(I know a lot of the futaba receivers with 7 or fewer channels only support preselected fail safe position for the throttle... the other channels failsafe to their 'last position')
assume you have one receiver handling the left aileron and left elevator, a second receiver handling the right aileron and right elevator.
if one receiver should lose signal with the ailerons or elevator (or both) deflected, those surfaces would HOLD their positions until the signal is re-gained.
if you had preselected fail safe positions, you could set them to a neutral fail safe position which would allow you to (hopefully) land safely with the remaining aileron and elevator.

Hope that helps!!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:38 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Understanding the binding process is key.

You're teaching the reciever to listen to packets that contain the GUID (Globally Unique ID) of the transmitter. (in the case of specktrum it uses the model number as part of the GUID hence model match)

Knowing that you can see how muliple recievers can be bound to a single transmitter but you can't bind multiple transmitters to one reciever.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:39 AM
Red_Jeepster

Jim, Thanks for the info on FAIL SAFE. I had not thought of that possible glitch! I will have to think of that should I go "redundant".
Old 05-27-2013, 05:48 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Red_Jeepster

What are the PRO's and CON's of this?

This may have been a topic before, but I missed it.
The PROS:

1. Redundancy
2. Better servo power distribution

The Con(S):

1. Cost of a second RX. Probably a small fraction of the value of the airplane.