Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dymond Servos

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 03:56 AM
bandman45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dymond Servos

Any feedback on Dymond servos? Pros or cons? I am new to the hobby and would like as much knowledge as possible from seasoned veterans! THANKS!!!
Old 05-25-2013, 06:10 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Dymond Servos

I have the D 5000's in two planes a Giant Ugly Stick and an Ultra Hots, both 80 plus inch Gassers. I have about 50 flights on the Stick with no problems, plenty of power. The Hots gave me some problems
and required that the old wires be replaced from this 1980's plane that had very out of date Futaba servos and wire so has yet to be flown. The nice thing about the D 5000 servos is that they are the same size as standard servos.
I recently lost a Chipmunk due a Futaba 3004 loosing a nylon
gear tooth (several) on the rudder in flight, the servo would not center...............exactly why this happened I don't know?
I have had no problems with the Dymonds and the good folks there are great to deal with. I will continue to be a customer.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:08 AM
bandman45

Thank you so much for the advice! I have talked to the owners over the phone and actually met them at the Joe Nall show in South Caroline during second week of May. Very nice people! I purchased a charger and power supply from them. Price was great!
Old 05-25-2013, 03:25 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Gizmo-RCU

I have the D 5000's in two planes a Giant Ugly Stick and an Ultra Hots, both 80 plus inch Gassers. I have about 50 flights on the Stick with no problems, plenty of power. The Hots gave me some problems
and required that the old wires be replaced from this 1980's plane that had very out of date Futaba servos and wire so has yet to be flown. The nice thing about the D 5000 servos is that they are the same size as standard servos.
I recently lost a Chipmunk due a Futaba 3004 loosing a nylon
gear tooth (several) on the rudder in flight, the servo would not center...............exactly why this happened I don't know?
I have had no problems with the Dymonds and the good folks there are great to deal with. I will continue to be a customer.
You probably had flutter. Also you should replace those old servos gears.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Gizmo-RCU

It was more than flutter as I took the servo apart and found the damaged gears, As I remember the servo was in a plane that "retired" early[:@]. These servos were old and I just chuck them after cutting off the lead as the cost of a gear set is almost as much
as a new servo.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:09 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I have seen flutter completely destroy servos.
Think of it as a small tornado on your wing.
Thats exactly what it is.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Gizmo-RCU

Except it was the rudder and it failed to re-center, it started on the first easy turn off the strip and blocked out most of the aileron functions. I know what your saying
but in this case I think most of the initial damage was done before flight and although everything checked out before flight the added pressure on the surface took it's toll on the
next gears over assisted by the gear chips already floating around.......just my opinion.
A good reason to use metal gears.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:52 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bandman45 Any feedback on Dymond servos? Pros or cons? I am new to the hobby and would like as much knowledge as possible from seasoned veterans! THANKS!!!
"Dymond" is a German brand label only, the same servo (were manufactureded by Prafar) see:
. Servo - Horn Arm Spline Count and Inter Brand Compatibility
"Dymond D47 is also known as LSX-110, Ripmax SD100, Robbe FS31 Pico,
Modell-Expert X-31, Exact 4.7, Topmodel 1118, X-Micro, Midget 4.7
Logic RC LSX-110, Tahmazo TS-1002 & TS-47.
Dymond D60 is also known as Ripmax SD150
"

Dymond MG servo are good, but MG do wear out very much faster than nylon or the best wearing "karbonite'
. Servo - FAQ : Metal Gear Servos - DIY Repair & Extend MG Servo Gear Life

Much more information available under sub sections
"Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - Causes and Cures"
"Servo - Alterations, Calculators, Databases, Leads, Repairs, Convert to an ESC or winch & FAQ."
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:47 AM
kelwinf
My Feedback: (2)

Has anyone tried the new D9000 servos from Dymond?? I just purchased a 50cc Edge from Chief at Nall. Specs call for at least a 180 in.oz. digital servos and these seem to be the most bang for the buck.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:21 PM
Gizmo-RCU

Just put an 8000 on the rudder of my new Escapade MX, one flight and so far so good!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Aerocal

If the model is conventional gear (tail dragger) and the tailwheel is linked to the rudder you almost definitely want to run a metal gear servo on it. Bang the tailwheel down with the Rudder deflected and the tailwheel sideways to direction of travel and huge loads can be imparted on the servo gears.
In this case its not so much the actual torque of the servo its the impact load that breaks teeth on the gears.
Metal gear do tend to develop a little slop faster but they can handle repeated impact loads better IMO.
Flutter is possible but Ive broken several tail servos with plastic gears on taildraggers banging down in 3 point alot with a bunch of rudder in crosswinds.
You can really put an impact on with wheel landings as you slow down and have the rudder all the way over then force the tail down as you run out of steering and the tailwheel is sideways when you plant it trying to keep directional control.

Last edited by Aerocal; 05-24-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:01 PM
pilotpete2

I fly nothing but tail draggers and always use a scale style tail wheel assembly that uses pull/pull springs. I've never had a problem with gears with that kind of setup.
Pete