Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba Transmitter Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 10:19 PM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba Transmitter Questions

I have a few questions about Battery compatibility of Futaba Radios.
I have a 4 year old 6XH Transmitter. I have purchased a Hobbico 1650mah NIMH 9.6v flat 8 cell battery pack for it. WIll this transmitter take this battery without harming it.
Also if I upgrade to the 9 channel radio like the CAP can I install that same flat 8 cell pack into it or does it take a square style.

Also with the 9 Channel CAP transmitter can I controll my planes with JR and Hitec flight packs installed. How compatable are the crystals between the Futaba transmitter and the JR and Hitec reciever crystals.

How much of a frequancy difference can I go when changing crystals on the transmitter.
Say it's on #60 can I install a 46 crystal to match a reciver pack in one of my planes.

Also On my Futaba Nicad packs how low a mah reading can I get and still use the battery. I am getting 490mah for a 600mah pack after cycling a few times.
Is this pack dying.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:14 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba Transmitter Questions

I have a few questions about Battery compatibility of Futaba Radios.
I have a 4 year old 6XH Transmitter. I have purchased a Hobbico 1650mah NIMH 9.6v flat 8 cell battery pack for it. WIll this transmitter take this battery without harming it.
I cannot think of any reason why it would hurt the transmitter...

Also if I upgrade to the 9 channel radio like the CAP can I install that same flat 8 cell pack into it or does it take a square style.
My 8U Super uses an 8 cell brick -- not a flat pack like the T6. My guess is the 9C will use a battery configuration similar to the 8U and your flat pack from the T6 will not fit...

I was right -- here is a replacement pack for the 9C/8U series..

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBTJ1&P=7

Also with the 9 Channel CAP transmitter can I controll my planes with JR and Hitec flight packs installed. How compatable are the crystals between the Futaba transmitter and the JR and Hitec reciever crystals.
Your US market Futaba radio is negative shift and cannot ever control positive shift receivers. In the US JR and Airtronics are positive shift...

If your Hitec receivers are negative shift (Futaba/Hitec) then you can still use them with the 9C... At worst you may need new crystals...

How much of a frequancy difference can I go when changing crystals on the transmitter. Say it's on #60 can I install a 46 crystal to match a reciver pack in one of my planes.
You're not ever supposed to change crystals in your transmitter. It is acceptable and legal to change the crystals in the receivers. However, be aware that Futaba receivers are labled Hi (36-60) or Low (11 to 35) band and should not get a receiver crystal outside of thier stated band...

The 9C uses a frequency module that you can interchange at will. They can safely and legally be swapped around, but they are of course more expensive than a simple crystal...

Also On my Futaba Nicad packs how low a mah reading can I get and still use the battery. I am getting 490mah for a 600mah pack after cycling a few times.
Is this pack dying.
Yes it is dying... Once a pack won't attain 90% of its rated capacity it should be taken out of airborne service...
Old 09-23-2003, 02:25 AM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with everything Galen writes. Also, you will need a different charger for the higher capacity/nimh batteries.

George
Old 09-23-2003, 08:14 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two stars to Galen! An exceptionally well written response! And i agree 100% with everything he said! :-D