Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dual Receivers

Old 09-23-2003, 03:56 AM
jetstuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Receivers

hi all
are there any potential problems to be aware of by operating two receivers on the same channel for redundancy/fail safe operation in a 33% model. I was hoping to split the functions and use two battery packs/switches as well....
thanks
John
Old 09-23-2003, 08:15 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Dual Receivers

John,
thousands of modelers do this every day.
drawbacks? two receivers means 2 pieces of equipment that can fail.
advantages? two receivers means that if one fails the other gives you significant control capabilities to save the aircraft.
potential problems? interference when the 2 antenna are run too close together. lack of protection for switch failure on each receiver, which is far more common than receiver failure.
hope this helps!
Old 09-23-2003, 09:10 AM
jetstuff

Thanks, yes..... it was the potential for interference between receivers that I was concerned about..... any guidelines here?
John
Old 09-23-2003, 07:00 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Some here have posted previously (about 6 months ago I think, search all threads with dual RX in this section and you'll probably find it) the potential for interference between two RX's in close proximity. I however, have run two RX's in a 35% and never had any problems. I know of others that run two RX's and I have never heard them mention any problems. I don't know if interference of this type is common, but my experience leads me to belive that it is not common. However, if you want add some safety on this issue, just seperate the RX's and antenna as far as possible, i.e. left/right side of fuse.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:27 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

There is the potential for interference between the two receivers, but I've never experienced that either, and I run dual receivers in all my larger airplanes. The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is the reduced range when running dual receivers. Its not enough to be a problem in most aircraft, but be aware that there is a small reduction.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:44 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Steve, I sent you an E-mail and it bounced, can you get back to me??
Old 09-24-2003, 07:42 AM
jetstuff

thanks for all that ......the other main reason for considering dual Rx is also to share the load of the servos (all digital) without going for other opto isolators and seperate packs... trying to keep it as simple as possible...open to offers on the BEST way!
John
Old 09-24-2003, 08:07 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

thanks for all that ......the other main reason for considering dual Rx is also to share the load of the servos (all digital) without going for other opto isolators and seperate packs... trying to keep it as simple as possible...open to offers on the BEST way!
John
It is quite simple to use the Fiber Optic system and keep the receivers completely free of any load which would give the receivers a better performance