Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

futaba 12Z battery question

Old 07-02-2013, 11:15 AM
csandt051196
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default futaba 12Z battery question

I have found the posts on other sites about replacing the existing transmitter batteries in the pack with Fromeco Relio 7.4/18.5Wh/2600 mah. I am curious if any one has replaced the two cells in the futaba pack with A123 and if so which cells did you use. I would think this would be the best solution, but would rather not blow my radio up with out some input first.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: futaba 12Z battery question

I have found it safer and cheaper to go to online auctions and purchase replacement batteries for Sony Camcorders. Search for Sony NP-F570 and you will come up with both name and generic brands. Some are 7.2v, some are 7.4v but all work the same. You can buy pure name brand Sony if preferred.

Many are shipped from China but I have made purchases that were shipped from the US. Bought two 7.4, 2400mah about 6 months ago for $21.00 shipped from Los Angeles. The hold charge as well as the original Futaba versions. Two can give me a full day of flying although one usually does.

I have been buying these types of replacement packs for several years for my 12Z and 14MZ. No problems at all. They are lithium ion cells.

Your call though.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:22 PM
csandt051196
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are right. Why take a chance kill my radio.

Thanks

Scott
Old 07-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The Fromeco Relio cells may be a higher quality but then most are made in China anyway so who knows. I once bought a genuine Sony at WalMart but it would drop to 50% after two flights. Sent it off to Sony who replaced it with one that worked perfectly. Usually Sony is top of the line so quality can have duds too.

Bought generic versions after that, never had a similar issue. I toss them after two years anyway and that is about how long the original Futaba versions lasted. Most folks are unaware that LiPo and LiIon batteries only have an expected service life of 2-3 years. So shop wisely.

At the low prices for generics I don't care if I get a few low life/performers in a batch. Use them for shop/setup packs and save the higher performers for flying days.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Most folks are unaware that LiPo and LiIon batteries only have an expected service life of 2-3 years.
What about if the battery is laying dormant?

I received a new 12Z for Xmas last year, used it a few times, then went back to my 9Z. I might try the 12Z again when I eventually go to 2.4, but for the foreseeable future the radio will be stored in its case. And of course, this radio has been discontinued by Futaba, and the OEM batteries are feloniously expensive.

Also, I wonder how durable (it seems to be mainly plastic) that battery latch us... Seeing as how you must remove the battery every time you charge it. I love the software in that radio... But the ergos and general feel of it leave me unimpressed.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:07 AM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Li-ion batteries store well. Just recharge and check your battery charge %. You should be able to get 8+ flights off a single charge, maybe many more depending on flight length.

I have had no issues with the battery latch after well over 1000 flights on my 14MZ which has the same battery and latch system.

Woodie