Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dx8 to futaba?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Fatam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dx8 to futaba?

I lost two planes in two weeks do to the lovely spektrum brownout. Selling my dx8 and going to buy one of the 8 channel futabas. I fly .40 and .60 size nitro planes. The $200 for the price difference is huge. I can't seem to find anything as far as reviews on the 8j. Thanks guys!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:49 PM
alan0899

Default RE: Dx8 to futaba?

ORIGINAL: Fatam

I lost two planes in two weeks do to the lovely spektrum brownout. Selling my dx8 and going to buy one of the 8 channel futabas. I fly .40 and .60 size nitro planes. The $200 for the price difference is huge. I can't seem to find anything as far as reviews on the 8j. Thanks guys!

G'day Mate,
If you use the same battery, & switch, with your Futaba radio, you will most likely have problems too.
What were you using with the DX8, as far as battery voltage, switch & cable size from switch to RX.
Were you using digital servos, & what are the symptoms of your crashes, caused by an Illeged brown out.
"Brown out" means, not enough voltage to feed your RX & servos.
Were you using telemetry during your flights? If so what was the RX voltage?
So instead of blameing the radio, maybe you should look at the reasons why.
If you lost 2 planes in 2 weeks, did you try to find out what happened to the 1st one.

Cheers
Old 10-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Fatam

thats not what i asked at all. if your not going yo help with my question then dont answer. i have been through each plane with a find tooth comb. running right batteries, switches, ect... even had the big shot check them out. so yes i have done my homework and am 110% over spektrums B.S. they have cost me a lot of money anf not just me but many othrr guys st my field.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:52 PM
KRASHKOPTER
My Feedback: (1)

Found this....I'm just a noob up late and thought I'd post....hope this helps ya.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1643680

K
Old 10-21-2012, 11:56 PM
alan0899

G'day Mate,
There are none so blind, as those that will not see.

If everything is OK, then I wish you all the best with your new radio.
Whatever you end up with.

Cheers
Old 10-22-2012, 01:54 AM
Jerry-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

I would like to have your DX8...... PM me
Old 10-22-2012, 02:53 AM
pdm52956

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats not what i asked at all. if your not going yo help with my question then dont answer. i have been through each plane with a find tooth comb. running right batteries, switches, ect... even had the big shot check them out. so yes i have done my homework and am 110% over spektrums B.S. they have cost me a lot of money anf not just me but many othrr guys st my field.
Kind of wondering something here...............you say you had "the big shot" check things out and then you say Spektrum has cost you and "many other guys at my field" a lot of money. So is the big shot one of those many other guys? What system does he fly?

Not trying to be sarcastic, just curious if the right guy is checking it out for you since a "brown out" is a power issue.

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:33 AM
Fatam

no the club prezident runs futaba and the other guys had low volt issues. one was a kit trainer that lost everthing. next was a bnf eflight carbon z yak that lost everything after about 2 min into the maden.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Based on your comments - it isn't the equipment which is the issue
Unfortunately you have apparantly convinced yourself that the equipment is the issue.
FWIW - the old "two minutes into the flight comment is a classic - which indictes all is well until power runs out
I have setup way over one hundred of these Spektrum models - some for other fliers
No problems such as you note.
Whomever your expert is - you might do well to start over with someone who really understand power setups and rx application and positioning - .
Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: rmh

Unfortunately you have apparantly convinced yourself that the equipment is the issue.
FWIW - the old ''two minutes into the flight comment is a classic - which indictes all is well until power runs out
I have setup way over one hundred of these Spektrum models - some for other fliers
Whomever your expert is - you might do well to start over with someone who really understand power setups and rx application and positioning - .
And he can get another brand radio and no longer worry about receivers ultra sensitive to voltage, need for satellite receivers, tricky positioning of components, BNF stuff that has a high failure rate within a few flights (ask my local HS), tech support saying you didn't hold your tongue right, etc.

Certainly some modelers do themselves harm but when long time, very experienced modelers suffer the same mysterious Spektrum failures it generates many questions..

Old 10-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Aerocal

Richard
Some ppl simply hear what they want to hear. Its pointless to try to reason with someone who is surrounded by "Big Shots" at a club field. They tend to not approach a problem from the standpoint of reason.
I found its best to just stay the heck out of their way. The big problem is that many times they will band together and decide there should be a ban on a specific brand or product. At this point they generally dont want to listen to anything anyone else has to say. There is a specific psychology associated with this type of behavior. They have made their judgement. At this point the main focus becomes imposing their will upon others. Its a no win situation.

To the OP.Whatever you choose will work fine for you if you use it properly.If you know what you want then simply compare the features and price.Best of luck to you.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:36 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I'll give you $50 to take that piece of trash Spektrum Dx8 out of your hands
Old 10-22-2012, 12:37 PM
5skyhawk172

Have close to 1500 flights on a DX7.  Never any kind of problem at all.  Just make sure you use a 6 volt receiver battery.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:54 PM
TimBle

FWIW - the old "two minutes into the flight comment is a classic - which indictes all is well until power runs out

ah the usual sarcy , evasive, condescending responce from the peanut gallery. Try answering the question without trying to sell your magnetic personality.

Fatam, you said you're looking into "one of the Futaba 8channel radio's" I completely understand the loss of faith in what you're holding in your hands and thats not going to allow you to enjoy the hobby.

Ok firstly there is only one 8 channel at the moment and that is the 8J. The other radio, known as the 8FG is actually a 14channel radio but is sold with a R6208SB receiver that allows 8 PWM channels and 14 channels via S.bus.

There is a $200 price difference yes and this is made up mostly of the following:

The 8FG is FASST while the 8J is FHSS/S-FHSS
The 8FG comes with a rechargeable NiMH battery and charger while the 8J does not come with batteries. You can either use 4x1.5V alkaline batteries or buy the optional rechargable battery pack and charger which narrows the price gap considerably.
The 8FG uses an SD card to store aircraft set up and trim data while the 8J stores in internally probably in flash memory.
The 8Fg is software updatable while the 8J is not. I'm not sure hwo many more updates the 8FG(S) will receive since the 14SG is effectively building on its platform.
There is also more subtle programming and functionality differences which can be examined in more detail here:http://www.futabarc.com/systems/feature-compare.html

Although the 8J is a very capable radio I'd be inclined to splash out the extra and get the 8FG. It is not currently telemetry enabled but RObbe in Germany has developed with Futaba a telemetry box and Rx (R6308SBT) that is designed to provide telemetry for the non FASSTest Futaba radios like the 8FG(S), 10C, 12FG, 12Z, and 14MZ. This box will not work with the 6EX and 7C currently.
The 8Fg offers quite a lot of flexibility wrt to what it allowa you to do when setting up a plane, glider or helicopter. It does have a bit of a learning curve to it but mostly because it's language is different to other radio's. Its more mathematical in its logic stucture

Old 10-22-2012, 01:22 PM
fly24-7

There's a 8J review in one of the recent issues of Model Airplane News or Fly RC. Can't remember which one. Also a review on rcpowermag.com. Basically, TimBle hit the main points above. You get a lot more flexibility with the 8FG. If you don't want to pay the added cost, get the 8J. You won't have a problem finding a buyer for the DX8.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:53 PM
pdm52956

ORIGINAL: TimBle

I completely understand the loss of faith in what you're holding in your hands and thats not going to allow you to enjoy the hobby.

I'll agree in that I can understand the concern on the OP's behalf but to loose faith in a radio. although you can't identify the cause of the "accident", is beyond me. Personally I would want to know before trashing something. That's only fair.

There is a difference in brown out and "signal loss" and to confuse the two is a sign that the person might just not have a full understanding of it to begin with. In the event of the infamous brown out, the radio didn't do it so why loose confidence in the brand of equipment?

To each his own. I fly both the subject brands and haven't had any issue from either. I certainly wish the OP the best of luck regardless.

Happy flying boys!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:09 PM
rmh

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

FWIW - the old ''two minutes into the flight comment is a classic - which indictes all is well until power runs out
And he can get another brand radio and no longer worry about receivers ultra sensitive to voltage, need for satellite receivers, tricky positioning of components, BNF stuff that has a high failure rate within a few flights (ask my local HS), tech support saying you didn't hold your tongue right, etc.

Certainly some modelers do themselves harm but when long time, very experienced modelers suffer the same mysterious Spektrum failures it generates many questions..

Having setup hundreds (really) of Spektrum models for myself and others - I have yet to find a mystery -
had two failures -one a battery the other - - a linear BEC in a low power ESC unit. Each took some careful digging around but mysteries are just that - until you resolve the cause - you can't really blame any component .
If you like another brand and feel it is a fix - have at it - There is nothing mysterious about these things once you do your homework.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 PM
ncsky

I'm a sport flier and upgraded to the 8J about 1 month ago. For me personally it is a fantastic radio. The receivers in the S-FHSS line by Futaba are very well priced compared to the other big brands. The 8J or the 8FG either way are winners.

Good Luck

Old 10-22-2012, 02:17 PM
clearblue
My Feedback: (5)

I have had the very same ordeal with the spektrum brown out! I lost a G.S. P 51. DX 7 / AR 7000 RX. I talked with the head of product support, person to person at Horizon the next day. He asked for all my RX’s, So went home pulled all my RX’s, And they replaced everyone of them No charge. Great product support, right? They said it could have been my carbon prop cutting down the signal? Could have been a brown out, Or the type 7000 I had could take up to 8 second to re connect if the signal was lost? trust me, you don’t have eight seconds flying 90 MPH at less that a hundred feet up! I flew this plane for two years with a ton of flights in over three states. I never once didn’t feel 100% in control. then one day my bird was on her back hunting the ground at 90 MPH. It was back to smaller than kit size in mere seconds! I do find it questionable that they “ Spektrum” are on their 3rd or 4th generation of how the transmitter talks to the receiver. I’ve read a bunch of online articles and forums about this. I came to the conclusion to change over to Futaba. I purchased a 10CAH 2.4 Faast system. I have been flying on this Fasst set up all year now and So far so good! So Fatam, I came to the same conclusion you did! Fatam, I Switched.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:19 PM
AlmondRancher

Fatam,
Iam not convinced. Could you post some detailed information? What makes you suspect the two plane crashes were related? Or due to a "brown out"?

- Allan B
Old 10-22-2012, 02:30 PM
rmh

ORIGINAL: clearblue

I have had the very same ordeal with the spektrum brown out! I lost a G.S. P 51. DX 7 / AR 7000 RX. I talked with the head of product support, person to person at Horizon the next day. He asked for all my RX’s, So went home pulled all my RX’s, And they replaced everyone of them No charge. Great product support, right? They said it could have been my carbon prop cutting down the signal? Could have been a brown out, Or the type 7000 I had could take up to 8 second to re connect if the signal was lost? trust me, you don’t have eight seconds flying 90 MPH at less that a hundred feet up! I flew this plane for two years with a ton of flights in over three states. I never once didn’t feel 100% in control. then one day my bird was on her back hunting the ground at 90 MPH. It was back to smaller than kit size in mere seconds! I do find it questionable that they “ Spektrum” are on their 3rd or 4th generation of how the transmitter talks to the receiver. I’ve read a bunch of online articles and forums about this. I came to the conclusion to change over to Futaba. I purchased a 10CAH 2.4 Faast system. I have been flying on this Fasst set up all year now and So far so good! So Fatam, I came to the same conclusion you did! Fatam, I Switched.
Carbon prop problem?
frankly your story is a bit over the top-
Old 10-22-2012, 02:46 PM
philakapd

Hi,

I had to compare too, I upgraded from 72 Hitec Flash 5 last year. I was looking at the same radios...along with Spektrum. I ended up with the 7c. I only fly 4-5 channel using .40 aircraft. I am VERY happy. Installed LiFe TX battery and enjoy the FAAST technology.

I did not want to spend too much on a radio and I dont need features. The radio transmitter models will be updated sometime and I will spend the money on the next generation of radios. Until then...I am happily keeping my 7c. I have 6 planes/RX's and never had a problem.

Clear skies to all of you.

Good luck!

PD
Old 10-22-2012, 03:01 PM
clearblue
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: clearblue

Carbon prop problem?
frankly your story is a bit over the top-
Over the top? Call Mr Pool at Horizon! Plus why do you think they make a AR 9310 or 9300 " carbon Fuse" RX ???? Ya, I made up the whole story, NOT!
Old 10-22-2012, 03:08 PM
rmh

Carbon prop - -you mentioned - not carbon fuselqge -a BIG difference .
also the rx setup you mentioned -long reboot-goes back a number of years . 3rd fourth generation protocol?
I missed a couple of those As for the stories on line - some are as fanciful as Snow White
Your story is simply too full of holes to be acceptable .
Old 10-22-2012, 03:15 PM
108buzz
My Feedback: (14)

There is a recall on certain DX8's. Go to their website and check the code on your radio. I good friend at my club lost a plane and almost another. He sent theTX in and the findings from the inspection found a faulty RF board in the TX. Another flyer at my club is having some of the same issues, but I have not heard what has come of his problems with his DX8. I personnally use a DX6 and have had no problems with it, but for my prized and expensive airframes I rely on Futaba. I guess I am a little bias, but I have been using Futaba scince 1990 and have never had an issue.Anyway keep your wings level.

Buzz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.