Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Telemetry radios

Old 09-27-2013, 02:04 PM
LRFitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telemetry radios

Are there other radio transmitters on the market with capabilities similar to the Jeti DC/DS 16? I'd like to have a radio that can speak and tell me there is a low voltage condition in the flight or power batteries.

Thanks,

Larry
Old 09-27-2013, 04:13 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

As noted in your RCG thread, yes. I work for Spektrum, and this week we just started shipping our DX9 which provides voice telemetry (and more).

Andy
Old 09-27-2013, 06:54 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

The Futaba 14SG is a good budget telemetry system. It has audio alarms plus vibrate for low radio and motor batteries.
The Jeti costs twice as much, but for several good reasons.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:56 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Hitec and Frsky have what you are looking for.

Last edited by Steve Percifield; 09-28-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:27 AM
LRFitch

Guys,
Thanks for the responses. I will research all the brands you have mentioned before making a buy decision.

Thanks,
Larry
Old 09-28-2013, 04:58 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I have a bud's Frsky X9D in hand and am going thru the programming and setup, which is challenging if you haven't played with a computer radio (and challenging if you have! ). Let's just say it's not user-friendly.
But for $200, you get telemetry and 16 channels. Amazing value! And it talks to ya.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:53 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the Frsky X9D Taranis. The programming can seriously outgun the Jeti (which I was looking at in depth expecting to buy it) and you can have Taranis speak anything you want to you. It's also a fraction of the price of the Jeti. It comes with 16 channels on the built in Frsky protocol rf deck and you can plug in any protocol of JR style module such as Frsky, JR, Orange, Spektrum, Graupner, for up to 32 channels. You can plug in a DSM2 module to use it with bind'n'fly.

Last edited by HarryC; 09-30-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:04 PM
CustomPC

What sensors are available or coming for the Taranis?

I've owned Multiplex M-Link, dabbled in JR DMSS and now use Jeti Duplex via a TX Module in a Graupner radio in conjunction with a Profi box which speaks for all alerts and alarms but cannot announce current stats.

What attracts me to the M-Link and Jeti is they seem to have a wide range of sensors to cover both fuel and electric powered models. They also produce ESC's with their telemetry protocols built-in. And they allow 3rd party vendors to produce sensors that work with their systems such as those from SM Modellbau etc.

All i've seen offered from Frsky is a vario and current sensor.

The Taranis is appealing and i'm sure i will end up with one just out of shear curiosity but as it comes right now it does not fully replace the range of sensors that i've come to appreciate (make that depend on).
A Taranis with my Jeti JR Module has be on my mind for a while now :-)
Old 10-02-2013, 03:29 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CustomPC
What sensors are available or coming for the Taranis?
See https://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-r...etry-equipment most have to be connected to the rx via the hub, which is nowhere near as good as Multiplex's serial bus system, but they are starting to produce "smart port" sensors to plug directly into the smart port of the latest version of their rxs such as http://www.frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=111
Old 10-02-2013, 03:29 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by HarryC
See https://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-r...etry-equipment most have to be connected to the rx via the hub, which is nowhere near as good as Multiplex's serial bus system, but they are starting to produce "smart port" sensors to plug directly into the smart port of the latest version of their rxs such as http://www.frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=111
I have the Taranis. I find its much easier to program than my Multiplex Evo
You might have to wait awhile for the smart port sensors. They have their hands full producing the radios
Old 11-14-2013, 08:32 PM
scott page

If you want to try out the programming of the FrSky Taranis you can download the companion program called C9x and use the TX simulator. https://code.google.com/p/companion9x/downloads/list

And if you'd like to see videos on the use of this radio you can check out https://www.youtube.com/user/PagesFlyingCircus/videos