Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spectrum modules and receivers- 1st gen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 10:16 AM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spectrum modules and receivers- 1st gen?

I have been absent from the hobby since around 2005 so I'm a bit behind. I do remember swapping out my Futaba transmitter 50mhz rf module for one that's a Spectrum 2.4ghz and a Spectrum receiver. I did this in three aircraft but never flew them with the 2.4ghz equipment. The Great Recession, a house sale and eventual retirement got in the way.......

So, here it is about 8 years later and I have all this first generation Spectrum stuff, never used, and installed. I recall back in 2005~2007, can't remember exactly, reading of some problems/loss of aircraft using the 2.4ghz systems.....Binding, then unbinding, and so forth. I'm sure that the second generation has improved reliability.

I have a Spectrum DS8 (DSM2) Fut 8 channel module in the transmitter.
I have 3- AR7000 receivers installed
I have 3- AR7000 receivers NIB......

So, what is the consensus on the use of this equipment? Funny thing, I don't see any of this stuff (transmitter module) on the Spectrum website so I assume it's not made anymore.

P.S. I just read in another thread that Spektrum was trading these receivers for an upgraded one, for free? Comments?

Bob T.

Last edited by branded; 10-27-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

It's all fine to use. Speculation would have it that Spektrum went after Futaba users as that module could be had with an AR7000 rx for $109.99 while the same type of module and the same rx for a JR radio cost $279.99, what do you think???? lol

The stuff you have is fine to use with the exception that the rx's need to have the updated firmware with the brownout detection (if it's not already installed) and more importantly, the ability to almost instantly reboot if the thing shuts down due to a power problem or "brownout".

If your rx's do not have the latest firmware, Horizon will upgrade 'em for free. There are bulletins on the firmware at Horizon's website as well as SpektrumRC.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:08 PM
branded

Originally Posted by Zeeb
It's all fine to use. Speculation would have it that Spektrum went after Futaba users as that module could be had with an AR7000 rx for $109.99 while the same type of module and the same rx for a JR radio cost $279.99, what do you think???? lol

The stuff you have is fine to use with the exception that the rx's need to have the updated firmware with the brownout detection (if it's not already installed) and more importantly, the ability to almost instantly reboot if the thing shuts down due to a power problem or "brownout".

If your rx's do not have the latest firmware, Horizon will upgrade 'em for free. There are bulletins on the firmware at Horizon's website as well as SpektrumRC.
Thanks. I will be selling all this stuff as I just ordered a new Futaba radio......
Old 10-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by branded
Thanks. I will be selling all this stuff as I just ordered a new Futaba radio......
Well it would have been nice if you'd said you were going with Futaba to begin with, I would not have taken the time to respond to your original post.....
Old 10-29-2013, 04:17 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zeeb, No good deed goes un punished.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:28 AM
branded

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Well it would have been nice if you'd said you were going with Futaba to begin with, I would not have taken the time to respond to your original post.....
Firstly, thanks for your response......Given I'm selling this stuff I want to know I'm not passing off unreliable 'stuff' to others.
I made the decision to Buy Futaba after no responses to this thread, sort of 'impulsive'........But alas, how could that possibly be concern to you?

If you do not wish to dispense your 'expert' opinion, then move on........You volunteered what you know, I did not personally solicit your input and forums are for the many, not the few and so your comments are not wasted as they may help others that have the same question in the future......

So the next time you respond to a question in a thread understand that you are not just talking to the OP, personally, but anyone else interested in the topic so your 'time taken' isn't going to waste.......you're speaking to the topic.......

Last edited by branded; 11-14-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:11 PM
grizzly59

Oh la ta ta, I am with you Zeeb. He had his mind made up before the question. Kinda advertised that we would see his stuff in the sales section.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:31 PM
branded

6 posts........