Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR XP8103 update 2.4 or upgrade to new radio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 02:54 PM
salt_life_addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR XP8103 update 2.4 or upgrade to new radio?

Long story (kinda) short, I've been in and out of the hobby since I was 8 or 9, I’m now 38. My most recent hiatus from the hobby happened when I met my (now ex) wife back in 2003. Apparently the hobby has really advanced since then… I recently moved to Sarasota Florida, and to do so I sold almost my entire RC collection. I held on to my 2 old trusty JR 8103H’s, and some misc electronics, and other nic naks related to the hobby that didn’t take up too much space during the move.

Anyhoo now that I have access to 2 airfields with 500 foot paved runways less than 10 miles from the house and can fly all year round in shorts, and flip flops I’m itching to get back into the hobby. I was so excited about having such awesome airfields nearby that I just picked up an Aero-Works 50cc Extra 300s that I’m itching to build and get in the air. That being said I’ve never flow anything bigger than 90 or 1.20 class due to the size of the airfields I used to fly at. Now that I have the airspace, and these killer 500 foot runways I’m going to get into bigger birds. I also used to fly heli’s back in the day too, but I think my primary focus now will be flying planks, and getting into performing more advanced high alpha maneuvers. I already plunked down some cash on real flight 6.5 because my old real flight classic wouldn't run on my new laptop to bust the rust off. It took about 2 minutes for me to feel comfortable with all the airframes in 6.5. I’m now practicing rolling harriers, blenders, and flat spins so I’m ready for attempting more advanced 3D maneuvers with the new Extra.

I love my old 8103’s, and never had any issues with them that I can recall. I think I purchased them both at or around 99 or 2000. The transmitters have the old style battery connectors, I know because I just replaced the batteries. They both have been meticulously cared for, and look brand new. I still have the protective covering on the button selection area. However after taking a couple runs out to the airfields just to poke around I’ve noticed that almost everyone is flying on 2.4. Now I’m really conflicted if I should keep my tried and true, however old 8103’s or replace them. I’m tempted to update them to 2.4 too, but not really sure that’s money well spent. There are so many options I’m not sure what direction to take. I’ve done tons of research trying to come up with the best solution. What I’m trying to avoid is spending money un-needlessly. That being said I don’t want to sacrifice a $1500 plus airplane in the process of trying to pinch pennies. Any advice updating older JR radios to 2.4 would be greatly appreciated. Anyone with some solid input on the upgrading path to a new radio for someone looking to get into larger aircraft would be appreciated too. I’m not really brand loyal, and have pretty much used them all with the exception of the newer Spektrum, and Hitec brands. I’ve never had any issues with Futaba, Airtronics or JR radios I’ve owned over the years. Radios that have caught my eye are the Airtronics SD-10G which doesn't seem to get much love, but offers a lot of bang for the buck, and the funky looking JR 11X. I was also looking at the Spektrum DX18, but a little concerned about build quality, and signal link reliability. I don’t know too much about current Futaba radios, but it appears that programming them is not as robust as the other radios I’ve mentioned.

Or do I just keep it simple and fly on old 72?

Regards,
Steve
Old 11-05-2013, 03:34 PM
keithtsr
My Feedback: (3)

If you loved your old 8103, I did, you will love the new radios from JR.

I fly a 11X and love it. The programing with this radio is super simple it makes flying so much more fun. Every JR radio has very simple programing but yet it will allow you to do anything the others will or at least very close. I fly a 42% Edge 540 as well as Jets and now Classic pattern ships off of my 11X. Go to JR Americas and look at the new radios they have.

Welcome back!
Keith
Old 11-06-2013, 05:38 AM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Steve,
You might want to consider the purchase of a Spektrum 2.4 module which drops right in your JR 8103 TX. The module now has an integrated antenna instead of the coax connector which was prone to problems. The module comes with a 7 channel full range Spektrum receiver that is already bound to the module, truly plug-n-play. The cost of the module and receiver was less than $100 at my LHS. I've been flying this setup in an F-20 propjet all season with no issues whatsoever. The best part was that all the F-20 TX settings crossed over to 2.4 and it has been glitch free. I do recommend upgrading to a 6.0 v airborne pack to prevent any brownout on the 2.4 receiver. Welcome back to the hovbby and good luck on this.

Art ARRO
Old 11-06-2013, 12:01 PM
salt_life_addict

Thanks for the replies! I have been doing so much reading my head is going to explode! I think I have narrowed down some of my options in the process tho. After trying to retain all of this recent knowledge I've made the decision to upgrade to 2.4. I've narrowed the brands and models to 3, and I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger on the new Hitec Aurora 9X. The radio has gotten rave reviews, and offers a lot of bag for the buck. With the Tower Hobbies discount, free shipping, and Hitec purchase rebate incentives for a free 7 channel receiver, data link PC cable its a hard to deal to beat. Hitec is also offering 50% off their telemetry modules with the purchase of the 9X will I will take advantage of too. Never really considered telemetry until I read about people saving their planes because telemetry informed them that there was issues ahead of time before a total loss of control. Rx battery info and signal strength alarms are something I'm definitely interested in having. Being able to monitor engine temp, rpm and GPS data is icing on the cake. Being that I'm a sport flyer I don't see myself needing more than 9 channels so the 9X fits the bill there too. Obviously a couple extra channels would be icing too, but not necessary. I gave a serious look at the JR 11X, and the newer version of the 11X. I liked everything except the price tag, at almost double the cost of the Hitec 9X. If the 11X had a touch screen I think it would make it much more attractive at its current price point. The last option is the Airtronics SD-10G but since it doesn't offer telemetry I'm going to pass. I think I would consider Spektrum if I was a BNF guy, but I'm not. I also have some serious concerns over their build quality outside of their 18 channel radio which apparently is made my JR. I've held a couple spectrum radios, and none of them made me want to own one. That being said I haven't held the 18 which is more than what I need anyway. If I decide to get into the BNF scene I will buy the 2.4 module for my 8103 as I prefer it over any of the Spektrum radios I've touched thus far. I'm continually amazed at how far the hobby has come since I've been out of the scene, and super excited to be involved with it again!
Old 11-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Steve,
I suggested the Spektrum 2.4 module upgrade to your existing JR 8103 as a quick and inexpensive (relatively) to get into 2.4 while still retaining a JR radio. I've been into JR since 1990 when I won a PCM-10 at Jets Over Deland and traded a jet kit for an 8103 several years after. About 4-5 years ago I purchased a JR X9303 integrated to 2.4 and JR has satisfied my RC needs very well. I too am wary of the Spectrum systems but their receivers, and now servos, seem just fine-plus Horizon does service JR at very reasonable prices. The only Spectrum system which piqued my interest was their latest DX-9 which has audio/verbal descriptions of the received telemetry data. I just don't want to look away from my models to see the telemetry information. Good luck in whatever you purchase.
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 11-06-2013, 02:25 PM
bchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Art ARRO
Steve,
You might want to consider the purchase of a Spektrum 2.4 module which drops right in your JR 8103 TX. The module now has an integrated antenna instead of the coax connector which was prone to problems. The module comes with a 7 channel full range Spektrum receiver that is already bound to the module, truly plug-n-play. The cost of the module and receiver was less than $100 at my LHS. I've been flying this setup in an F-20 propjet all season with no issues whatsoever. The best part was that all the F-20 TX settings crossed over to 2.4 and it has been glitch free. I do recommend upgrading to a 6.0 v airborne pack to prevent any brownout on the 2.4 receiver. Welcome back to the hovbby and good luck on this.

Art ARRO
+1 on using the Spektrum 2.4 Module and the 6v receiver pack. I have a similar story as you and have been back in the hobby now for about 3 years.

I have the XP8103 as well and have used the module system for a couple of years with no problems. No need to spend $800-$1000 getting a new JR transmitter when you're just getting back into the hobby. The module works just fine and I've used it in scale airplanes as well as trainers. I trust it just like I would a regular 2.4 transmitter.

I will say that I flew the 8103 and used the 72 mHz receiver for quite a while when I got back into it and it worked just fine, so you could do that for a while as well. The nice thing now is that there is usually nobody flying 72 mHz anymore, so the frequency board is usually always wide open!

Welcome back to the Hobby!

Brian
Old 11-06-2013, 02:47 PM
keithtsr
My Feedback: (3)

There certainly is a lot of choices out there for a guy to ponder. It's not an easy choice until you pick up a JR Radio....you really can feel the difference. I owned one Hitec radio back in 96 and just didn't like the programing.

I have been with JR since they came into the country, Circus Circus Hobbies, and have nothing but good luck with them. Don't get me wrong I have owned a host of other radios, Kraft, EK, Futaba, Pro Line, World......JR has great customer service, easy programing, and feel that no one else has.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:01 PM
grizzly59

Time for a new transmitter. The 8103 is history.
I know-- had 8103, 10X, 10X with Spektrum adaption, 9303 FM, 9303 2.4, 9503. 11X. I still have and it is great.
the Spektrum 9X is the one to get.

Last edited by grizzly59; 11-06-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:48 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want to go the cheap route, consider a FrSky module. Drops right in 8103 and gives you a telemetry radio system. Oh, did I mention the 8ch receivers are $27.

If you are bent on getting a new radio, consider FrSky new 16 channel radio for $175.

Last, nothing wrong with staying on 72. We still have a few guys who have not moved. But if you like flying at events, most will only allow 2.4.

pm me if you want the links to FrSky info.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:03 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rf links work on all the new stuff -as long as YOU do it right-this is old news.
I also have owned a number of radios inc ones I built
The absolute handiest one of the bunch is the new DX9 Spektrum-
All my flying is -flying- - I really don't play much with telemetry -tho it is good at that too.
on a typical outing we will fly five different models and share models ,,letting others fly em (pattern types 3D - little foamies etc..
The tx is light -easy to use and very accurate in doing tiny inputs.
The new voice thing is extremely handy for time announcements - one of the best ideas in years.

Last edited by rmh; 11-10-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:31 PM
salt_life_addict

Thanks for all the input! I went with the new Hitec Aurora 9X. The telemetery, touch screen and menu system/program-ability features is really what sold me on this radio along with the many positive reviews it has received here, and on other forums. I also couldn't pass up the promotion that Hitec is running on the 9X right now. I purchased the radio thru Tower for $380 shipped. Hitec is going to send me an Optima 7 RX, and the HPP-22 computer data cable for free. I'm also going to take advantage of their one time discount offers for the telemetry packages which includes the sensor station, GPS, RPM Sensor and 2 temp sensors for $80. It was just way too good of a deal to pass up!

I actually wasn't that interested in telemetry and saw it kind of a novelty until I was lurking around a couple of threads where guys were able to ground their plane prior to having RX battery voltage issues. Not saying telemetry is going to be able to save every plane, but I really started to find it important to know what the RX batteries are doing while in flight. Especially since I'm moving into larger more expensive birds. Monitoring GPS, temps, and engine RPM data are just icing on the cake.

Anyhoo, I received the Aurora 9X today, and have had a little time to play around with it. My initial impression of the radio are very good! I'm 6'6" it looks, and feels awesome in my hands. I love the rubber sides, and back grips! I'm a pincher, the switches, sticks and gimbals feel very nice, and are well placed. Straight out of the box the touch screen, and menu system interface is very easy to navigate, and straight forward. I'm not saying I'll never need to read the manual, but this radio is very user friendly programming wise. Anyone with computer radio programming experience will have zero difficulty programming this radio. The radio also has some nice little touches like being able to adjust gimbals tension thru an access port on the back of the radio. I also like the way it lays down at a nice angle that makes it easy to program. The only aspect of the radio that I could criticize are the sliders are a little cheesy. I've never had them before so I have nothing to compare them too, but they look, feel cheap unlike the rest of the radio that feel very solid. Some people might be critical of the green LCD, but from a functional standpoint it will perform better in the sun, and will draw much less power than much nicer color displays that are only available in much more expensive radios.

Obviously I haven't had the opportunity to actually field test, and fly the radio, hopefully it will provide the rock solid performance other members have reported.

Now that I have this new piece of tech staring me in the face I'm really itching to get my 50cc Aero-Works Extra 300S built, and in the air. I'm looking at Savox digital servos to take advantage of the 4096 resolution. I've never used Savox servos before, but I've heard, and read good things. I'm also trying to wrap my head around all power systems, and related hardware for the rest of the build. It appears that a lot of giant scale guys are using A123 battery systems which is the direction i'm leaning. I like not having to use regulators, but I'm getting off topic of my OP. However any input would be appreciated too!

That being said, as far as my old 8103's go I'm not quite ready to retire them completely. I think I'm going to hold on to at least one as a back up, and install the suggested Spektrum 2.4 module in it. I've never been into the BNF park flyers, but at least it will give me that option too. However after playing around with the 9X I can't see myself plugging thru the 8103 to program anything in it in the future unless it was necessary.

Putting both radios side by side the 8103 still looks, and feels great, however I just fell in love with the 9X's touch screen, and don't think I could go back to button pushing, and navigating thru layers of directories.