Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Replacement for Futaba 12fg

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 02:50 AM
ddaveb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement for Futaba 12fg

Hi has any body any info on a replacement for the futaba 12fg had mine for over 6years now dont want a 14 sg as that would be down grading 18 mz too expensive?? daveb
Old 12-09-2013, 07:00 AM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am considering the same question. I am leaning to the 18MZ but the price is staggering. Would be nice to see a middle ground product from Futaba.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ddaveb
Hi has any body any info on a replacement for the futaba 12fg had mine for over 6years now dont want a 14 sg as that would be down grading 18 mz too expensive?? daveb
I'm in the same situation.
The 14SG isn't in the same class at all, and the 18MZ is ridiculously expensive.

It's almost like Futaba thinks anybody who wants a better radio than a 14SG will simply buy a 18MZ. Are they really that out of touch with reality?
Old 12-13-2013, 01:06 AM
ddaveb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I agree I have used Futaba since I started flying RC in the mid seventies but Iam a little disillusioned with them not just because of this 12fg replacement issue but they never seem to respond to customer needs . for instance many people have had calibration issues with the 12fg what do they do !! release software for the 8fg so the user can do their own calibration & totally ignore 12fg users then go one step further & stop users from entering the service mode with software updates so people cant do a work around to the problem I still have software version 1.6 on my radio for this reason. I have been satisfied with The solid Rf link Futaba has but I think other manufactures have now caught up in that area & seem to offer feature packed radios at more affordable prices just look at the new spektrum DX9. Even owners of the 14sg had to wait ages for many of the features to be enabled if it wasnt for my investment of about 40 Rxs I think I might swap brands wake up Futaba !!!!. Daveb
Old 12-13-2013, 08:58 AM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats strange-everyone on this thread is named Dave. I caved to Futaba, my 18MZ will be here Monday.

Regards,

Dave
Old 12-13-2013, 10:34 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man… looks like I need to catch up. I got a 12Z for Xmas last year, but just began using it a few months ago. I still have two perfectly serviceable 9Z radios (one with a 2.4 module), that I really like -and prefer. But one does NOT tell his bride that the $900 Xmas present she bought as a surprise is not what you wanted...

At any rate, I'm good to go on radios, even though they are all discontinued models. I feel you guy's pain; with the exception of the 18MZ, those higher-end transmitters don't look so impressive.

But I'm curious, ddaveb… unless there is something wrong with your 12fg, or it won't do something you would like it to, why are you looking to replace it?

Are these newer Futaba offerings less durable than the older ones? One of my 9Zs is 12 years old and still working great. I did have it checked out and the internal lithium battery replaced some years back, but I sent it to Tony Stillman at Radio South again last year for a full check-out; he replaced the lithium battery again and said everything else was still in spec, even the stick pots. My other 9Z, which is 9 years old, got the same clean bill of health. So barring any catastrophes, I'm fine on radios for the forseeable future.

But it certainly does seem like Futaba has cheapened things up. That 12z has nowhere near the "solid" feel that the 9Z does. Still, I'm beginning to like it, and will use it as a primary system.

Too bad buying a used transmitter is such a crap shoot; otherwise, I'd suggest that...