Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Question about old FM radios vs new radios

Old 12-17-2013, 02:38 AM
hitcttd
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about old FM radios vs new radios

Hey all - I'm looking to come back to RC after a 4-5 year break. Last time I flew all the buzz was about all the new radios with the new spectrum technologies and what have you. A few questions regarding this:

Is anyone still using the old school radios? I have a Futaba 9CAP - a damn good radio last I remember. Can I still get away with this? I'm looking at flying .60+ size planes. Probably going to start with a sport plane like the Pulse .60 or Pulse 1.25 but eventually I'll probably get back into 3D.

If I were to jump on the new technology bandwagon - what is the consensus these days? I guess I'm looking for 7+ channels at a good price. I always used Hitec and Futaba but am open to whatever is trendy right now. Cost is obviously a consideration but I've always been the kind of person to pay a little extra for quality and reliability. Any good articles, threads, etc to get me up to speed?

Thanks guys

Edit: thought I'd mention i have the PCM version of that model

Last edited by hitcttd; 12-17-2013 at 02:45 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:41 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 9CAP is a good radio and sure you can use it if your club allows 72 Mhz gear. I would give the batteries a good test or better yet replace them with new and also check out to make sure none of the pots have gotten noisy. Do some good range checks and get back to flying!

I went with Spektrum 2.4 Ghz gear just a few months back and am very happy with how they are working out. I'll never order a Futaba after trying to get their customer support to send me some replacement parts. When I tried to get them to drop them in an envelope and reduce the international charges the lady on the phone got very rude with me. No reason for that so Futaba lost this customer.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:06 AM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

I agree; replace the battery with a new one and you should be good to go! If you have any doubts just send the radio to Radio South for a checkup and cleaning. Since so many people have gone to 2.4 technology most of the interference problems where I fly have gone away. My 72 MHz radios still work great although I must admit I am slowly changing over to 2.4, both Futaba and Spectrum. I use the Spectrum because Horizon offers some neat bind and fly airframes that don't work with Futaba...
Old 12-17-2013, 09:28 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly with a 9CAP on 72 MHz. It works great. You have received good advice regarding the batteries and radio chekout.

Be prepared for ridicule at your field. Some newbies will ask you what that "string" coming out of your airplane is for. Just smile and move on.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:51 AM
mattnew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

new battery and fly it… like everyone said.
As for the new radios, All the brands are awesome, All the brands suck, just depends on who you ask. Futaba and Hitec are still excellent brands with some great radios, Airtronics and Spektrum,Jr, Graupner, Jeti, Tactic have some good stuff too… In general its difficult in the forums to decipher which radios have the most problems, but I think if you stuck with one your first two choices you likely would be happy with your experience.

the biggest thing with newer radios and newer digital servos is understanding the new battery requirements. You have to be careful to supply enough power so that the receiver and digital servos are properly powered, The old 700mA NiCd doesn't always cut it anymore, Personally I fly with 2500mah receiver packs… but I'm way over cautious in that respect.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:39 AM
hitcttd

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm keeping the 9CAP. I'll be sure to replace the battery and do full checks. I did some more research and it looks like if I'm going to get a new Radio it'll be from Spektrum. Now onto plane shopping. I'm starting to remember why I loved this so much.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:43 AM
thailazer

hitcttd... Welcome back to the hobby! I was away for a decade and with the help of RCU members, got back in back in 2008. Flying a lot these days and you will find things have changed. Lots of great kits out there and ARFs too. You are lucky you live in the USA and have access to all the great manufacturers there. Enjoy!
Old 12-18-2013, 02:55 AM
hitcttd

Hey - thanks for the warm welcome back. You caught my attention with kits. I've always hated the lack of good kits in the 60+ size, aerobatic planes. Can you recommend any? I've had experience building the SIG somethin' extra, and Great Plane's RV4 and Extra 300 kits. The Great Planes ones came out pretty heavy and really weren't suited for aerobatic or 3D flying. Do you have any recommendations? The SIG was cool except I was fairly new at flying and building at the time so it was very short lived.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:22 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by hitcttd
Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm keeping the 9CAP. I'll be sure to replace the battery and do full checks. I did some more research and it looks like if I'm going to get a new Radio it'll be from Spektrum. Now onto plane shopping. I'm starting to remember why I loved this so much.
A few nice features of the 2.4 radios, and since you mentioned Spektrum that really date your 9C

1. The system processing speed is SO MUCH faster. Its particularly noticeable with dual elevators on the 9C not moving in unison if you yank the stick.
2. Model match. If you have the wrong model selected the receiver won't respond until you do (only Spektrum systems)
3. The obvious freedom from the frequency pin and associated accidental shoot downs. Though this is mitigated these days since so many people are using 2.4 including the walmart/radio shack models that folks would show up with the day after Christmas.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:36 PM
JPMacG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you decide to go to 2.4 GHz don't trash your 9CAP. Used 9CAPs sell for good prices on the auction sites. Maybe $150 or $200 if it is in good shape.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:57 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

If you want to go to 2.4 you can buy a module and replace the module in your unit. You will need new receivers. I went thet way years ago with the XPS equipment. I would not recommend XPS now though, they seem to be getting out of the hobby business.
The Chinese manufacturer FR-SKY makes first class equipment and it is cheap. Dont turn up your nose because its cheap. It works.
Futaba equipment has their equipment made in China. They just charge you $$$ to put their name on it
Try Aloft or Value hobbies.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:54 AM
hitcttd

Originally Posted by dirtybird
If you want to go to 2.4 you can buy a module and replace the module in your unit. You will need new receivers. I went thet way years ago with the XPS equipment. I would not recommend XPS now though, they seem to be getting out of the hobby business.
The Chinese manufacturer FR-SKY makes first class equipment and it is cheap. Dont turn up your nose because its cheap. It works.
Futaba equipment has their equipment made in China. They just charge you $$$ to put their name on it
Try Aloft or Value hobbies.
oh.snap game changer. do they work well?

Thank you

Last edited by hitcttd; 12-19-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:54 AM
hitcttd

Am I seeing this right? The Futaba Module is 300 and the FRSKY module is 50? They are both 8 Channels. The FRSKY one has "TELEMETRY" labeled on it but also includes a receiver so I'm assuming it does everything and not just telemetry?

Links
Futaba Module
FRSKY Module
Old 12-19-2013, 07:59 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes,
they even have telemetry.
But I would not call it first class equipment. you can tell the quality by looking at their board circuitry. I call it second class.

Still, its the best bang for the buck. Oh, and did anyone mention their 16 channel transmitter??

I guess the best thing to say is that its good to have options. Personally, I would just fly with what I have (least cost). In the meantime, read up on all 2.4 brands, then decide which one you want to use. Its going to be a hefty investment so don't rush.

And look around, you will be surprised what comes by sometimes. I helped a friend grab a mint condition Futaba 7c (with 2 receivers) for $100 (no, its not stolen....yes, he stole it).
Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

fyi, Frsky telemetry is a little funky to set up. If you really want telemetry i suggest you do some reading. I will pm you a link.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:08 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I have the FRSKY Taranis TX. Its 32 channels capability - not 16.
The Transmitter looks just like the JR and spectrum except it does not have a roller I think the case is made in the same factory.
The Taranis costs $175 and it compares to the Jeti that costs $1700.
It does have one serious problem. If you order one it will take 3 months to get it.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:43 PM
hitcttd

Originally Posted by wildnloose
Yes,
they even have telemetry.
But I would not call it first class equipment. you can tell the quality by looking at their board circuitry. I call it second class.

Still, its the best bang for the buck. Oh, and did anyone mention their 16 channel transmitter??

I guess the best thing to say is that its good to have options. Personally, I would just fly with what I have (least cost). In the meantime, read up on all 2.4 brands, then decide which one you want to use. Its going to be a hefty investment so don't rush.

And look around, you will be surprised what comes by sometimes. I helped a friend grab a mint condition Futaba 7c (with 2 receivers) for $100 (no, its not stolen....yes, he stole it).
Thanks for the info. That was my plan exactly - to get something inexpensive to get the wheels spinning again. I've never skimped on RC equipment in the past but don't want to make a huge dent in my wallet just as I'm getting back. I'm only looking at sport planes right now. Eventually when I get into the bigger and 3D stuff again I'll get a full set.

Thanks again, and I would love more info on the telemetry if you've got it.

Happy holidays!
Old 12-19-2013, 04:57 PM
thailazer

Hit.... You were asking about kits and from what you say you are already aware of Sig and Great Planes. Don't forget the little guys like Balsa USA as they (for one) are doing a great job of keeping prices down. Lots of lazer cutters offering sub-kits but it seems they are pretty pricey for what you get. Don't forget to peruse EBAY as well as some old-time kits appear occasionally.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:45 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Welcome back, Transmitters have evolved a lot, 2.4 is the way to go. If $$$ is the issue HK has one for $60. I know people that use it and they are happy.
As always if you are not too short on mula invest in a at leat 7 channel Spektrum, the new Dx9 is only $399 and it talks to you
Old 12-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

I use a Futaba T8J 2.4 radio and I am very happy with it. It sells for $279 on TH and if you are a member, you get free shipping and $30 off. Plus their 6 ch receivers are on sale until end of year for $29!...... I ordered 5 of them because regular price is $44.
I also fly with my old 72 radio and never had an issue with either. Also 72mhz receivers are dirt cheap now days.....so either way, you should be good with either.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:02 AM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

I've used a 9C with the FrSky module for 2 years without an issue. I flip between 72 and 2.4 frequently depending in what I fly. I also use FrSky as well as their Futaba compatable 2.4 receivers .
Old 12-20-2013, 05:19 AM
Muttdog

+1 on the FrSky Module. I used one for years. Also, I have a pulse 60 for sale. It's not perfect but great for what you want to do and I can ship anywhere. PM me if interested. I also have FrSky RX's as I have now moved to Spektrum and DX18. I do have a module but it is for JR and I will probably keep it.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:09 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

1++ on the FrSky module and rx. I have on on my 9C and its been flawless so far. Check out rcmodelreview on youtube.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:14 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Change the batteries and fly it. Yea, right! I tried that - luckily the servos went nuts before I started moving. I still haven't found the problem but have been told it could be in either the transmitter or the receiver or maybe even a servo or two.. Seriously, do a compelte check of your radio system, inlcuding range check before you fire up your engine. Then do it again after your fire it up.
BTW, one thing you will find with 2.4GHz is that unlike 72MHz nearly evey manufacturer has their own comm protocols and therefore one manufacturers receivers won't work with another's transmitter. That's one disadvantage to Frysky, Flysky and the cheapy Chinese ones. I was looking at a Flysky 9 channel system yesterday but found that it came with an 8 channel receiver and couldn't find a 9 channel receiver for it.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:43 AM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Change the batteries and fly it. Yea, right! I tried that - luckily the servos went nuts before I started moving. I still haven't found the problem but have been told it could be in either the transmitter or the receiver or maybe even a servo or two.. Seriously, do a compelte check of your radio system, inlcuding range check before you fire up your engine. Then do it again after your fire it up.
BTW, one thing you will find with 2.4GHz is that unlike 72MHz nearly evey manufacturer has their own comm protocols and therefore one manufacturers receivers won't work with another's transmitter. That's one disadvantage to Frysky, Flysky and the cheapy Chinese ones. I was looking at a Flysky 9 channel system yesterday but found that it came with an 8 channel receiver and couldn't find a 9 channel receiver for it.
Any radio system (72 or 2.4) can develop a problem with the TX, RX, and/or servos so your issue can be any one or a combination of the three. That's why you perform radio and range checks prior to any flight. You mentioned a "disadvantage" of FrSky but didn't point out what it was. FrSky has receivers that are compatible with their transmitters and modules, but they also have receivers that are compatible with Futaba 2.4 transmitters. I have several and just ordered two more for use with my 2.4 Futaba transmitter. They are available with or without telemetry capability.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.