Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Fr Sky Taranis

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 02:56 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

It may be a bit before I can get (afford to buy) a Taranis.

But I am trying to learn at this time. I downloaded Companion9x with the thought I could learn some programing on it. When I run it it is basically empty and I can't do anything. Am I missing something here or do you have to have Tx or some additional files first?

Ken
Old 01-13-2014, 03:53 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't need the Tx, but the system (9xc) is empty and you have to programme everything in, go to model set up and use the wizard to start you off.

Mike
Old 01-13-2014, 06:01 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BaldEagel
You don't need the Tx, but the system (9xc) is empty and you have to programme everything in, go to model set up and use the wizard to start you off.

Mike
Thanks BaldEagel

I finally got it. File > new > and then any of the numbers under general setting. Now I am in and can start to learn a bit.
That was just the one piece I did not know.

Thanks again BaldEagel . I was really starting to think I had a corrupt install.

Ken
Old 01-13-2014, 07:24 PM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingagin
I will watch this thread.
I don't have any thing useful to contribute yet. I just placed an email for the waiting list with Aloft. And downloaded Companion9x.
So hopefully there will be some useful contributions here. On the other website the thread is super long and it is to tough to wade through.

Ken
gravesrc.com has them in stock in florida... ordered mine on Friday, showing up tomorrow supposedly... I'll sub' this thread and input anything useful that I'm able to.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:27 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed
Old 02-05-2014, 02:42 PM
mattnew

Something that took me a while to figure out. In Companion9x its not immediately obvious how to create mixes for things like flaperons or what not... the hint is to right click to add lines...
so each line in Aileron is a different mix setup that is based on a switch position, in this case SC.

look on youTube for a bunch of good instructional videos, that will help you sort it out as well
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-02-05 at 5.39.05 PM.png
Views:	207
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	1965772  
Old 02-18-2014, 01:50 PM
bobferguson

subscribed
Old 02-18-2014, 01:58 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Me also
Old 02-19-2014, 03:29 PM
rexbirk

This is really a very capable radio for a bargain price, although hard to get at this time.! Get on a waiting list.

I have been a JR fan for many years. 6 different generations of JR Radios to be exact. My latest is the X9503.

I find this radio to feel very similar to my JR. I played with the programming this past weekend and set up my 3DHS Slick 70" on it. It does take a while to figure out their method but once you do it is very logical.

There are many utube videos of how to use and program this radio. I spent hours watching and then trying. It just takes some practice.

Their transmission protocol is well liked as far as I can tell by researching on the web. The 8 channel receivers are $33.00 or so.

Aloft Hobbies has plenty of spare parts and great service.

My take so far? This is a great radio. I'm looking forward to using it. There is a lot of info on this radio in another forum. I hope I am allowed to say it is RCGroups?

Watch the Rcmodelreviews review parts 1 and 2 on youtube to see more. He is very honest if he finds flaws. He likes this radio.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:29 AM
mattnew

I think its ok to say.. its not like its a huge secret that it exists. :-)

I think the biggest thing about the Taranis so far for me.... I don't notice the radio when I'm flying. I just fly. the Gimbals are really nice.. to the point where I just simply am not thinking about the radio but am thinking about my flying. for some perspective, I've been a long time mid-high end futaba and airtronics user for years. My other current radio is a 14sg. The 14sg gimbals are better, but not by much. I have a feeling if I opened up the Taranis and tightened up the springs a bit I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I wish the sliders were of better quality, that the screen wasn't plastic ( scratches easily ) but whatever... the other switches are very nice and the gimbals work well. and so far its been rock solid in terms of connection.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:36 AM
BaldEagel

The side sliders can be improved by bending the internal centre detent spring a bit to stiffen it up.

Mike
Old 02-20-2014, 06:50 AM
mattnew

For mine they don't calibrate well.... I don't get -100 to +100 throw on them, even after calibration I get something usually like -110 to +98... its not really a big deal to me, but I still wish they were nice.. I actually wish they were smooth and didn't click... but thats a personal preference...
Old 02-20-2014, 06:59 AM
rexbirk

Originally Posted by mattnew
I think its ok to say.. its not like its a huge secret that it exists. :-)

I think the biggest thing about the Taranis so far for me.... I don't notice the radio when I'm flying. I just fly. the Gimbals are really nice.. to the point where I just simply am not thinking about the radio but am thinking about my flying. for some perspective, I've been a long time mid-high end futaba and airtronics user for years. My other current radio is a 14sg. The 14sg gimbals are better, but not by much. I have a feeling if I opened up the Taranis and tightened up the springs a bit I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I wish the sliders were of better quality, that the screen wasn't plastic ( scratches easily ) but whatever... the other switches are very nice and the gimbals work well. and so far its been rock solid in terms of connection.
Aloft Hobbies sells the plastic Screen Lens for 3 or 4 dollars fyi.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:20 AM
BaldEagel

Originally Posted by mattnew
For mine they don't calibrate well.... I don't get -100 to +100 throw on them, even after calibration I get something usually like -110 to +98... its not really a big deal to me, but I still wish they were nice.. I actually wish they were smooth and didn't click... but thats a personal preference...
Haven't got that problem with mine, but if I remember correctly I did set all the throws up on the companion 9x, have you calibrated the sticks, switch's and sliders in the start up screen?

Mike
Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 AM
mattnew

Originally Posted by BaldEagel
Haven't got that problem with mine, but if I remember correctly I did set all the throws up on the companion 9x, have you calibrated the sticks, switch's and sliders in the start up screen?

Mike

I have, I actually probably would never notice if I hadn't gone through the calibration. The x9d+ update is supposed to provide improved sliders with it so I'll get that when it comes out, until then I'm going to fly it and not worry about it as its really a non-issue from an actual flying standpoint.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:00 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Guys,
I just received my Taranis 16 channel Transmitter and I'm not very computer savy...so its kind of an issue figuring out how to set this up for my first model. I there is a long write up on another web site...but its 1000+ pages long...and all I want to do is to do a simple 4 channel set up on a Spitfire model I have. The manual that comes with the equipment is not very informative...and I need to know how to set up end points, dual rates, servo reversing ect. ect. ect. Does any one have a complete idiots guide to programing this Transmitter..?

I've a good bind to the X8R Receiver, but that's about it. Any help would be really appreciated.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 02-23-2014, 02:11 AM
BaldEagel

On the Companion 9x use the new model set up function to name and set the model, when it appears on the screen on your PC double click on the name and the functions menu will appear, you can then programme all your throws and reversing from there, its much harder on the Tx only as you will have to go through all the screens and edit the menu's, using the page and menu buttons.

Mike
Old 02-23-2014, 03:29 PM
Bob Paris

Hay BaldEagel,
Great information...but what is the 9X program and how do you connect it to my computer? I guess I don't have a clue and I guess the folks that produce the equipment feel all folks buying their radio gear are trained electronic engineers. I would have been more then happy to pay a few bucks for a start up manual for beginners. If I can't get this figured out, I'll just sell it on E-Bay and spend the bucks for a R/C company that prints out a manual, that the weekend modeler can program...that doesn't require a PHD in electronics.

Thanks for the help...but really doesn't help me much. I'm the only one out here with the equipment, but Futaba is going to get my next funds, after I sell this radio. It may be years ahead of the rest...but it feels so foreign to me...the manual might as well be written in Egyptian hieroglyphics. A four page leaflet is a sorry excuse for a manual and no where does it tell you how to set up a standard four channel model. I like to set up my models with the Tx in hand, next to the model, so I can measure the control deflections and end points, as well as set up my rate switches-doing all my adjustments on the bench, prior to its first flight. No where does it show this and if this is the latest and greatest new equipment, it is seriously lacking for the first time user. And this also brings up a serious issue in this hobby...keep this up, and you will keep beginners out of starting into the hobby. I'm no where near a beginner, but this is so confusing to me, I'm at my wits end trying to figure it out.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 02-23-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:39 PM
bobferguson

http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/Video_guides check these videos on the taranis. I learn by watch videos on youtube search for taranis or scott page

https://www.youtube.com/user/PagesFl...w=0&shelf_id=1.

Last edited by bobferguson; 02-23-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:52 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

FrSky provides the Taranis at an incredible price by not spending money where the big guys spend money. In other words no fancy box, no big ad campaign, no factory flight team, no proprietary software and NO manual.

It IS a challenge learning how to program with minimal hand holding from FrSky in the form of a manual BUT the information IS out there and you have very nice software to help you get going, Companion9x.

If you are unwilling to devote the time and effort to teach yourself how to use the Taranis, it is very likely that the radio is not for you. One of the main line radio manufacturers will be happy to sell you something that is more suitable for you. The Taranis is not a radio for beginning flyers or folks new to complex computer radios.

It is a great radio with incredible capability that you can buy for a fraction of the cost of comparable systems from other manufacturers BUT there is a steep learning curve you must get past.

Last edited by 049flyer; 02-23-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:03 PM
Bob Paris

Hay O49flyer,
What is the Companion9x? The problem is that simple...What the heck is it? I don't mind watching a video on the set up...but I've yet to find one for the beginner user of this radio. I'm not asking for a telephone book size manual...but stating having no manual is a plus, just doesn't sound fundamentally user friendly. Yes...I'm frustrated to beat all, and right now I'm just going to roll a nice one and go walk on the beach.

Thanks again,
Aloha,
Bobby of Maui
Old 02-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Hay O49flyer,
What is the Companion9x? The problem is that simple...What the heck is it? I don't mind watching a video on the set up...but I've yet to find one for the beginner user of this radio. I'm not asking for a telephone book size manual...but stating having no manual is a plus, just doesn't sound fundamentally user friendly. Yes...I'm frustrated to beat all, and right now I'm just going to roll a nice one and go walk on the beach.

Thanks again,
Aloha,
Bobby of Maui
Bobby,

Go here http://frsky-rc.com/download/view.ph...Manual-Taranis X9D

there is a lot of info to get you started
Old 02-23-2014, 08:16 PM
049flyer

Wish I could walk on the beach!

At first glance the radio seems not user friendly. It is designed for geeky types with loads of patience and persistence. But you will be rewarded IF you stick with it and take your time. If you get it today and want to fly with it tomorrow you are doomed! Give yourself at least 4 to 6 hours, (took me more like 8), before you try to load up a real plane and fly with it.

Download companion9x here https://code.google.com/p/companion9x/

It can be easily found with a google search if you lose the link.

Companion9x is free public domain software that along with a standard mini usb cable will allow you to connect the Taranis to your computer to teach and aid you in programming the radio. There is even a wizard that after a few simple questions will program the initial settings for you in the radio to help you get started. It runs on Windows or Mac PCs. The software is brilliant once you get the hang of it, but once again, no manual. But everything is explained online somewhere if you will spend some time with a search engine.

You should do a little searching around youtube for video tutorials.

Let google be your friend and you will find all the info you need to get you going.

Last edited by 049flyer; 02-23-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:48 PM
049flyer

Companion9x is set up just like the radio. It is much easier to learn how to program the radio by first learning the software. Once you get the hang of the software then you will find programming on the radio much easier. You can move around through the different screens faster on the computer plus your computer screen is much larger and no worries about running down the battery.

Put the radio aside for an evening, grab a cup of coffee, download the software, load up a few youtube videos and just follow along. Once you can set up a simple 4 channel plane on the computer, without using the wizard you are ready to give it a go on the radio. Of course you can always just shoot the settings straight from the computer into the radio if you don't want to push buttons.

The software has the wizard but the radio does not. The radio does have templates for most airplane types that you can copy and paste.

You must be patient! I think it will take me several months or more to fully understand all that this radio is capable of. I'm in no hurry, I look at it as just another part of the hobby. I add new features to my airplane set ups as I learn them. Last week I learned how to get my own voice alerts into the radio and play them back when I flip a switch. Meanwhile I'm flying simple planes with a very nice radio.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:05 PM
049flyer

One more thing that is hard for some to grasp is that FrSky DOES NOT write the software that runs on their radio. Futaba writes their own software as does JR, Spektrum and Airtronics. It is therefore proper for them to provide info on how to operate their own software.

FrSky relies on others to write the software that runs on their radio, they just provide the hardware. As a courtesy they preload the software on the radio for you to get you going. The folks that write the software provide a manual of sorts but since it is a volunteer effort it may not be as professional or as complete as you may be used to.

The software that runs on the Taranis is a version of OpenTx, you can download a manual here: http://www.open-tx.org/documents.html
There are other versions of the OpenTx manual out there for the Taranis as well as other radios that may also run OpenTx.

Companion9x is also open source. Not produced or supported by FrSky.

Remember FrSky only provides and supports the hardware, the software is a different deal.

This method of marketing radios is revolutionary, growing pains can be expected. Sort of like the difference between MS Windows, Apple OSX and Linux. Linux is open source as is OpenTx.

Last edited by 049flyer; 02-23-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.