Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Fr Sky Taranis

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 03:33 PM
d_wheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taranis in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o9p6i_LpqU

Later;

D.W.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:34 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can read the manual, but the videos helped me get over the programming, there are lots of tutorials on Scott Page's youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaMwa_DbHw8&list=TLIirG98Hw8ywCxsfTSNfBP_uYI7lvfZCW

Old 02-25-2014, 02:37 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d_wheel
Taranis in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o9p6i_LpqU

Later;

D.W.
The trouble with the Taranis is they only seem to fly foamies with it, I wish someone make a video and fly a giant scale airplane or a 700 size heli with it.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:37 PM
rexbirk

Originally Posted by mattnew
For mine they don't calibrate well.... I don't get -100 to +100 throw on them, even after calibration I get something usually like -110 to +98... its not really a big deal to me, but I still wish they were nice.. I actually wish they were smooth and didn't click... but thats a personal preference...
There is a great video on youtube about replacing a gimble. The solution on mine for the throttle not staying at idle was removing the spring in the throttle stick gimble. Even with the screw all the way in the spring was still pulling the stick up slightly. Calibration did not help that. Not sure that is your problem but on mine that fixed it.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:41 PM
rexbirk

I have my 30cc 3dhs Slick programmed in. Whenever the weather here in Ohio gets better I will fly it and post my results. From what I have found online the range seems to be outstanding. Looks like the fpv guys have tried it out extensively and gotten very long range. Much farther than my eyes can see?
Old 02-25-2014, 03:24 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fw190
The trouble with the Taranis is they only seem to fly foamies with it, I wish someone make a video and fly a giant scale airplane or a 700 size heli with it.
Sounds like you just volunteered.

Mike
Old 02-25-2014, 04:01 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm flying smaller glow planes and gliders with mine. I have had my 2 meter glider at the limit of visibility without problems. It is nice to have telemetry so I know exactly what the signal strength is at the receiver when at extreme range. Better still to have a voice alert when signal strength drops to a minimum or battery voltage drops below my preset level.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:07 PM
d_wheel

I don't fly giant scale or 700 helis but do have a giant stik and 550 helis. As soon as I get 25 or 30 trouble free flights with the equipment in my beater airplane, it will go into the stik. The next receiver will go into the heli after testing. I do this with any brand of equipment. The Futabas in my aircraft now were put through the same process when they were new. The Taranis has been absolutely trouble free and if it continues, I will have total faith in it. I had doubts about it before trying one, but it has so far proven my doubts to be baseless.

Later,

D.W.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:36 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

as a foamie flying Taranis user... I think the only thing you'd gain from seeing me put my Taranis in a large plane is you'd see that I have enough confidence in the system to fly something more valuable than a foamy with it. Once you've seen that video your presented with a new problem. Am I showing confidence in the system, or am I just an idiot with more money than brains and not really worried about the consequences of having a 25lb plane "fly off" on me. As happy as I am about the concept of an open source system and as happy as I am that it seems to be taking off... this radio is really quite new... most of last years flying season these radios were backordered, its only now that people are really getting there hands on them.

Frankly... I do have a lot of confidence in it so far, it will go in larger and larger planes, but I'm also in no rush there. Most of us have had this radio less than 6 months, I've had mine for a month and a half... Trust and confidence takes time, or at least it should take time.... I think once you start to get through the 2014 flying season you'll see more and more flying vids of more expensive planes than a foamie...

I guess my point is lets not rush it. I think its a great radio, I have been given no indications through flying the foamie that there are going to be any problems with it in larger planes...but I am still being cautious, I think we all have to be a little bit as responsible members of this community.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:50 AM
BaldEagel

My confidence in this system is low enough I haven't flown it in anything, the FrSky Rx's that first came onto the market as Futaba Compatible where bad enough I sold them all on to someone who wanted to use them in a non flying environment, but I will keep playing with the programming, but don't think it will ever leave the ground in one of my airframes.

Mike
Old 02-26-2014, 09:55 AM
d_wheel

Originally Posted by BaldEagel
My confidence in this system is low enough I haven't flown it in anything, the FrSky Rx's that first came onto the market as Futaba Compatible where bad enough I sold them all on to someone who wanted to use them in a non flying environment, but I will keep playing with the programming, but don't think it will ever leave the ground in one of my airframes.

Mike
I remember when people were saying the same thing about Futaba and JR.

Later;

D.W.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:34 AM
BaldEagel

And about Sprengbrook and all the others, but then in those days all of them where suspect, we are not talking in an era of reliable radio control as long as you don't count non hopping Spektrum.

Mike
Old 02-26-2014, 01:12 PM
mattnew

Mike

grab a foamy and go have some fun !
Old 02-26-2014, 01:21 PM
d_wheel

And about Sprengbrook and all the others, but then in those days all of them where suspect, we are not talking in an era of reliable radio control as long as you don't count non hopping Spektrum.

Mike
I've never heard of Sprengbrook, but I had total faith in my Kraft, Orbit, and Logictrol 'back in the day' before the Japanese radios started coming onto the market. I remember everybody landing and watching closely when the first Futaba and Airtronics units showed up! We made sure we had some place to run if things went wrong . We were all proven wrong to not trust them and it looks like the same may be true concerning the Taranis. Time will tell, but for me it has been 100% reliable so far.

Later;

D.W.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:23 PM
BaldEagel

Your probably not old enough to remember Sprengbrook, it was one of the first proportional radios together with Fleet, back when I was flying reeds and galloping ghost.

Mike
Old 02-26-2014, 07:21 PM
d_wheel

Your probably not old enough to remember Sprengbrook, it was one of the first proportional radios together with Fleet, back when I was flying reeds and galloping ghost.

Mike
Thanks, but yes I am old enough to remember reeds and galloping ghost. I had a lot of very enjoyable hours flying with galloping ghost. Also remember single channel escapement where power to move the rudder was provided by a long rubber band twisted into knots. We got our exercise chasing after the airplanes when we couldn't persuade them to fly back to us.

Reeds were too expensive for me, but I watched a few folks flying with it. A good reed flier looked like someone playing a musical instrument the way their fingers flew around the switches. We set up a receiver with a speaker, and the tones almost sounded like they actually were playing music.

Maybe the Sprengbrook was only on your side of the 'Pond', or maybe it just wasn't available where I lived. No internet and very few publications covered the hobby then so people used what was available at the hobby shops. Brings back many good memories, and of course some bad ones also.

Later;

D.W.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:44 AM
BaldEagel

Sprengbrook was the brain child of Harry Brooks and Doug Spreng, Doug being an US citizen and if I remember correctly a quite well known guy in F3A at the time. I also remember the rubber band escapement, and when the rubber broke the whole of the tissue covering on the fuselage would be toast, ah those where the days, thank the Lord they are just but a memory now.

Enough nostalgia, time to get back to the Fr Sky Taranis or we will get shouted at.

Mike
Old 02-27-2014, 07:09 AM
mattnew

I won't shout.. not as old as your stuff but I do have an EK Logiktrol on a shelf here that still works. :-)
Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Doug Spring was the inventor of the pulse matching analog servo. The standard servo we have today is the same that Doug invented. The high speed analog servo that we call digital is nothing more than an update.
Doug produced the first digital radio called Digicon. It had problems. The problems were solved and a number of radios appeared. Microavionics, PCS, Bonner. EK,Citizenship, All using Dougs servo.
Doug was hired by Brooks to come to England to design and produce the Springbrook radio. It was never sold in the US.