Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Fr Sky Taranis

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:58 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fr Sky Taranis

Hi all thought a general discussion thread on this radio may be of interest, I have been trying to set up a throttle cut option on the software, but seem to have hit a wall trying to make the cut only happen at low throttle, at the moment the cut happens no matter where the throttle stick, so far I have used this information:

if using the software use the tab button instead of ENT on the Tx, also HS down arrow t is on the selection bar.

Setting up switches:-
Go to Menu page "CUSTOM FUNCTIONS" "CF1" should be highlighted, I used this, but you can scroll down if you wish to use a differerence one.
Short press ENT button, to select it. the highlight will move across to first column. Short press ENT and highlighter will flash. Use the + / - keys to scroll though switches. Use "SH down arrow" for throttle cut and "SFdown arrow"(or any other positional switch ) for Electric Throttle Safety.
LONG Press ENT and a "t" should appear after the switch designation so, if using SHdown, it wil look like you are finding a way around the rude word filter .
Short press ENT and highlight will stop flashing.
Press "-" to move highlight to 2nd column.
Short press ENT, highlight will flash, use + / - buttons to move to " SafetyCH3".
Short press ENT, press "-" to move to next column and short press ENT.
Use " + / -" to move to " -100 " and short press ENT.
Press "-" to move to square box.
A short press on ENT will place a "check" mark in box.
Now EXIT back to front page. Short press PAGE button 3 times to go to CHANNEL MONITOR and check everything works as required.

Any one know how to isolate the throttle cut to operate between 75% and 100%, Oh perhaps I have just found the solution?

Mike

Vic's warbird set up:
http://vicrc.com/Taranis/ from post 11.

My Viperjet set up: ViperJet.eepe

Harry's Curare : curare 4.eepe

Last edited by BaldEagel; 02-24-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:30 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike your best bet is the "other forum" some forums are better for certain things, and there are enough guys there who know all about this transmitter
Old 01-08-2014, 04:35 AM
BaldEagel

I am on the other Forum, but thought it may be of interest on here as well, obviously mistaken.

Happy New Year to you.

Mike
Old 01-08-2014, 04:57 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I will watch this thread.
I don't have any thing useful to contribute yet. I just placed an email for the waiting list with Aloft. And downloaded Companion9x.
So hopefully there will be some useful contributions here. On the other website the thread is super long and it is to tough to wade through.

Ken
Old 01-08-2014, 05:28 AM
Xairflyer

Actually the thread on the other forum is that big with so many posting each day it is hard to keep up with so might not be a bad thing having one here.
But if help is needed you would get a response over there very quickly with the volume of users
Old 01-08-2014, 05:42 AM
BaldEagel

I know what you mean about the response over on the other Forum, but a lot of it has not been what I needed, most of the mixing I wanted I had to sort out myself, the Taranis is not as intuitive shall we say as proprietary brands as there is no mixing built in to take into account some of the things we have got used to, for instance the throttle cut on the sprung switch can be made to work, but the cut does not come off until you flick the switch a second time, also the throttle trim will only work on the upper half of its travel in you have an offset on the throttle to let the sprung switch do its work, minor niggles I know, but I set up all my Tx's the same to prevent inadvertent use of the wrong switch or slider.

I will keep playing with the Taranis and see what its capabilities are, on an academic note I am trying to set up a full house airframe with sixteen servo's, vectored thrust and canards, the most difficult thing at the moment is trying to get the canards to deflect 85 deg's to act as an air brake without effecting the other controls mixed with it.

Mike
Old 01-08-2014, 06:21 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

While I wait for a chance to order I thought I would play with Companion9x so as to already have a clue when I do get a Taranis TX.
Have not yet had a chance to work with Companion9x or watch any of the videos.

The only computer radio I have is a old Futaba 7uaf (on FM still), so I am expecting a steep learning curve.

Ken
Old 01-08-2014, 08:18 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

The thing I like about Taranis is, although it has the capability of a $1000 transmitter, it can be programmed using it built in memos only. You dont need a computer at the field.
It is a bit more than usual because you have to set up everything, nothing is preprogrammed for you
Old 01-08-2014, 10:16 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

fyi, gravesrc site says they have the Taranis and Taranis/rx combo in stock. Price is a little higher than aloft.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:42 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your interested, I have posted my settings of my taranis. I fly mainly warbirds so i am using the throttle cut on the left slider to kill the motor, it brings the motor servo to max low. You will see the function used when you load it on your computer. I am using the only momentary switch to reset the timer. My timer is initiated using Throttle trace, it start whenever I throttle up. I constantly forget to hit the timer so I set it up this way. Since i dont use sliders, I added a small spring on the slider, I will need to rotate the slider from 0-75 in order for it to kill the motor, making it not too easy for an unwanted dead stick.

http://vicrc.com/Taranis/

Vic
Old 01-09-2014, 01:06 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BaldEagel
difficult thing at the moment is trying to get the canards to deflect 85 deg's to act as an air brake without effecting the other controls mixed with it.
That ought to be easy, depends how you have set it up originally. I would have created two lines for the canard servo, both with elevator as their input, both uisng the same switch but at different positions, and each line has its own travel value. In the position for airbrake use mixing type REPLACE and if needs be a 3point CURVE with all points at the same value. Can't see why that would affect any other servos.

Edit - just done it on companion9x
using switch F as an example
line one, canard, source is elevator, switch is SF up
line 2, airbrake, source is SF, switch is SFdown, multiplex is replace.

with SF up, the canard responds to ele stick. With SF down, canard goes to end of travel and stays there

Last edited by HarryC; 01-09-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:43 AM
BaldEagel

Harry thanks for the input, unfortunately there are five elevator servo's, the canard needs disconnecting from the others when using it as an airbrake, this function is also tied into the airbrake under the airframe also, both need to be proportional, have not played with it for a couple of days and will get back to it soon.

Vic thanks for loading the warbird set up.

All. if its OK with everyone I will post any set ups on the first page/post to make it easier to access, please PM if you object.

Mike
Old 01-09-2014, 07:00 AM
HarryC

Harry thanks for the input, unfortunately there are five elevator servo's, the canard needs disconnecting from the others when using it as an airbrake, this function is also tied into the airbrake under the airframe also, both need to be proportional, have not played with it for a couple of days and will get back to it soon.
Mike
No problem for taranis Mike! Set up as per my original description, but let's suppose the left slider LS is your airbrake proportional control, then in canard line 2 just change source from SF to LS. Then SF up makes canard take command from ele stick, SF down makes canard take command from left slider.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 AM
BaldEagel

Funny that the LS is exactly what I use for the airbrake, thanks for the input will have a go later and let you know how I get on.

Mike
Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 AM
HarryC

Funny that the LS is exactly what I use for the airbrake, thanks for the input will have a go later and let you know how I get on.

Mike
Ok Mike, here's more fine tuning of it.
I assume that LS is at one end of its travel and the true airbrake is closed. You then switch SF down to activate the canard brake, but because LS is at one end of travel the canard will go to an end of travel which you don't want, you want it to stay at neutral until you move LS to open airbrake and deflect canard brake. Seemples! Go to curves, curve 1, 3 points, The points will be 0, +50, +100 (or 0, -50, -100 if direction needs reversed). Then in mixers canard line 2, change curve/differential to curve 1. Now when SF is down, and LS is at brake closed, the canard will be at neutral position, and as you operate LS to open the brake the canard will progressively move to full deflection.

With SF up you can safely open the airbrake in flight as the canard will respond to elevator, just be sure you don't move SF down and open the airbrake in flight as the canard will then follow LS with dire results! You could build in some safeguard such as it only works with throttle at idle.

Last edited by HarryC; 01-09-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:11 AM
fw190

The first thing you should do (Probably the time you adjust the gimbal spring tension) and this is just for good measures, I would hot glue ((I prefer E-6000 shoe glue) the wire ends going into the gimbal's pot covers. The wires come a bit tight and needs to be a little free. This will prevent any fraying on those wires.

Also be careful how you use the Companion software. Always read your transmitter EEProm first so it takes into account any settings you made on your radio. I know some of you may not use a computer with your radio butt the Companion software is an awesome utility to save and update your models. IMO the software helps you understand the radio a lot better and easier to copy and paste setting you made from one model to the next.

Last edited by fw190; 01-09-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:35 PM
d_wheel

If using an 8XR receiver with the Taranis, does the telemetry automatically send receiver voltage back to the transmitter? If not, what do you have to do to get it?

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:11 PM
fw190

Nothing you need to do, it will show up on your telemetry screen as the A1 value. Same as your RSSI link value. If it was not already set you must make sure A1 voltage range is 0-13.2 under telemetry (that should have been set as the default). Range 0-0 will show 0.0

Last edited by fw190; 01-09-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:19 PM
d_wheel

Originally Posted by fw190
Nothing you need to do, it will show up on your telemetry screen as the A1 value. Same as your RSSI link value. If it was not already set you must make sure A1 voltage range is 0-13.2 under telemetry (that should have been set as the default). Range 0-0 will show 0.0
Thanks! Another question. Frsky has a new 40 amp current sensor that works with the smart port. If this is used. It is supposed to provide current, voltage, and mah used. I have been playing with C9X (I don't have a taranis) trying to figure out how to set it up but nothing looks correct. Do you know how I would set it up to work?

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:38 PM
fw190

I am not fully aware of the Telemetry settings for the C9X. I just got my Taranis but not enough hardware to know how to do the settings with the software. I am mostly using the X8R receiver that uses S-port. I have the S-Port Lipo sensor working on my X8R for cell and cells voltage. Maybe someone with more experience in it will post their findings.

Last edited by fw190; 01-09-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:21 PM
d_wheel

Originally Posted by fw190
I am not fully aware of the Telemetry settings for the C9X. I just got my Taranis but not enough hardware to know how to do the settings with the software. I am mostly using the X8R receiver that uses S-port. I have the S-Port Lipo sensor working on my X8R for cell and cells voltage. Maybe someone with more experience in it will post their findings.
How did you set up the lipo sensor in your transmitter? What screens and what settings?

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:54 PM
fw190

I am using the FrSky SP-FLVS lipo sensor S.port setup with the X8R. In the telemetry setting you add a cell voltage and cells (total pack voltage) it will actually display each cell value in the transmitter's telemetry screen. From there you can create custom functions to trigger voice for alarm when the voltage drops to the min value you set. II believe you can have it read the current value at an interval or with an assigned switch.

For a 4 channel receiver I am using the D4R-II with a FBVS-01 that can be used to read voltage up to 3s packs. For my foamies and the receiver is $23 and senor for $7 (this is a non S.Port setup). At these prices I don't care to add a DSM or FASST module to my Taranis with BNF planes.

I am also amazed at how flexible you want this system to be.

Last edited by fw190; 01-09-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:03 PM
d_wheel

Thanks again.

I think a light bulb just came on. The only time it is necessary to use A1 or A2 is when you are using an Analog sensor. S.port sensors use the other slots.

It's not that I WANT it to be flexible, I'm just trying to get some information about it.

D.W.

Last edited by d_wheel; 01-09-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:30 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

It looks like the pipeline is finally caught up. Graves hobbies have had several in stock for about 1 week and still have 14 in stock.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:15 PM
BaldEagel

Trying to upload a set up for all to use if they wish, but don't seem to be able to any ideas chaps.

Its a EDF Viperjet with two aileron servos, two elevator servos, reflexed ailerons on the side slider and a set up for a throttle cut, obviously not for the Viper, but though it may come in some use.

Suggestions how to up load it please.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.