Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 7C 2,4 Fasst ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 12:26 PM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 7C 2,4 Fasst ???

I currently own a Futaba 7c 72mhz and want to go over to 2.4. I am not big into exotic programming, and therefore figure that I will have less problems with sticking with the 7c (but in 2.4). First plane will be a flying wing on this TX.

Any bad quirks about the 7c 2.4 ? Can you get reasonably priced Fasst receivers now?

Thanks, JS
Old 01-14-2014, 01:01 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I am currently using a 7C and really like it. Futaba has dropped the price of their 6 channel receiver to $40.00 which is a good price considering what they used to be. However, you can get Futata FASST compatible receivers for less. I have a couple of Orange receivers which have been ok (never lost a plane due to them) but I really prefer the FrSky receivers. They commonly run from $25.00 to $35.00 depending on which one you buy. They have served me very well. I am presently running six or eight of them in different planes, never a problem. Value Hobby sells them.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:25 AM
JohnS

Thanks, JollyPopper. Just the info I needed. I think I am going to buy the 7c this week. Tower has free shipping for a few days also.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:51 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by JohnS
Thanks, JollyPopper. Just the info I needed. I think I am going to buy the 7c this week. Tower has free shipping for a few days also.
+1 on the Frsky receivers, (Orange receivers are also made by Frsky). They perform just like the genuine Futaba receivers. As JollyPopper said, Futaba prices have dropped recently so might as well get genuine.

I have a 7C and really liked it. I used it for 12 months on Helis until upgrading to an 8FG. Just remember Futaba has no model match memory, (2 of my 3 heli crashes were on the 7C due to wrong model selection, my bad entirely but something to remember).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNNljwYrmLo

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-16-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:19 AM
JohnS

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the "heads up" on model memory. I did the same thing with my 7c 72mhz. Also my bad.

I thought maybe I wouldn't have to be concerned with that on the 2.4 7c......but I guess it's the same. Oh, and thanks for the film clip. Very well done.

JS
Old 01-17-2014, 01:54 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

My first 2.4 was a Futaba 6EX and it came with four receivers. I simply bought Futaba receivers after that whenever I needed a new receiver because I just never had a problem with Futaba. I have changed radios to a 7C and now a 10C but still Futaba or Futaba compatible stuff. For that reason, I did not realize until last summer at the field someone was commenting on the Futaba radios having the ability to control any model linked to it rather than just the one selected. Seems JR radios are model specific. Since the Futabas had that idiosyncrasy, I decided one day to put one of my models on the ground, turned on, in front of a beginner who was just learning. He was able to see what the plane was doing in the air and then look down and see what the control surfaces on the model on the ground was doing. Pretty interesting what control surfaces do while flying.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:37 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
My first 2.4 was a Futaba 6EX and it came with four receivers. I simply bought Futaba receivers after that whenever I needed a new receiver because I just never had a problem with Futaba. I have changed radios to a 7C and now a 10C but still Futaba or Futaba compatible stuff. For that reason, I did not realize until last summer at the field someone was commenting on the Futaba radios having the ability to control any model linked to it rather than just the one selected. Seems JR radios are model specific. Since the Futabas had that idiosyncrasy, I decided one day to put one of my models on the ground, turned on, in front of a beginner who was just learning. He was able to see what the plane was doing in the air and then look down and see what the control surfaces on the model on the ground was doing. Pretty interesting what control surfaces do while flying.
That is a good idea.

Spektrum have something called "Model Match" where the receiver is bound to the specific model in the transmitter so if you select the wrong model memory nothing will work. Its a nice safety feature.

JR radios with DSM2 / DSMX have the same feature. I hear the new JR Radios with DMSS have something similar.

I also have a Futaba 14SG which can use all of the Futaba Protocols, eg, FASSTest, FASST 7Ch, FASST Multi and S-FHSS. Using different receivers and protocol settings on each model gives you a form of model match. The 8FG and the 14SG radios also have a setting that when you turn on the radio it will prompt you to confirm the model memory you want before it starts transmitting.