Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Receiver,ESC, and servo problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 07:22 AM
mnfarmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver,ESC, and servo problem

I have a Tamiya Plasma Edge race car. It has a TEU-101 BK speed controller with a Futaba R162JE BEC receiver, a Tower Hobbies system 3000 STD TS-53 servo ran buy a Tower Hobbies 2TXP radio. The problem I am having is I can't get the servo to work to steer the car. I ordered a new servo and installed it and it still doesn't work. I have the ESC plugged into channel 2 and the servo in channel 1. When I run the throttle I can get the car to go into forward and reverse but it will not steer. If I plug the servo into channel 2 and the ESC into channel 1 I still cannot get the servo to turn but I can get the car to move by turning the wheel on the radio so I don't think it is the radio but could it be the ESC or did I get a bad servo? Thanks for any help as I am not sure what to test or where to go from here.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:16 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the plugs from the ESC (speed controller) are connected to the receiver properly. The plug with three wires should be in channel 2 and the plug with two wires should be in the BATT channel. Make sure the black wires are on the right side when plugged into the connectors. Make sure the servo lead is plugged into channel 1 also with the black wire on the right side.
If it still doesn't work you should take everything to a local hobby shop or to someone who has a servo tester and a spare receiver and ESC so they can do some testing for you.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:44 AM
mnfarmer

I double checked everything and it is all plugged in correctly. I have 2 servos and neither one works.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:25 AM
flyinwalenda

Hard to believe two servos are bad.;
Try removing the three wire plug from the ESC to the receiver but leave the two wire plug in the BATT connector slot and then plug a servo into the receiver,power on and see what happens.
Next would be to plug a volt meter into the receiver or the two wire ESC plug and test the voltage .
Old 03-07-2014, 03:39 PM
mnfarmer

I check the R&B wire coming out of the ESC and it was 7.7 volts. Channel 2 B&R 2.17v, R&W 2.01v, full throttle R&W 2.08v, reverse R&W 1.99, black test lead on black wire and red test lead on white wire .15 volts, black test lead on black wire and red test lead on white wire full throttle .09v, black test lead on black wire and red test lead on white wire reverse .17v. Channel 1 servo, B&R 2.17v, R&W 2.00v, R&W left turn 1.92v, R&W right turn 2.02, black test lead on black wire and red test lead on white wire .16v, black test lead on black wire and red test lead on white wire left turn .18v, black test lead on black wire and red test lead on white wire right turn .14v. The battery I was using is a DNYX 5000 7.2 v 5000mAh NimH. The red light on the ESC will flash rapidly with just the B plugged in and when you plug in channel 2 it stops and the car goes forward and reverse if I plug the servo into channel 1 the car still goes forward and reverse but still no steering. I have no repair center close by. Thanks for your time.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:01 PM
flyinwalenda

Seems like you are not getting proper voltage on the red&black leads on the receiver to the servo. The white lead is signal and that will be very low. The ESC only requires signal and ground to function and activate the motor. You need 4.8 volts minimum to properly run the servo. Usually they will still move a bit when the voltage gets around 3-4 volts but 2v is low.
Seems like the ESC is set for 6.0 volts to feed the receiver as you are seeing 7 volts. There should be zero voltage on the red and black of the three wire ESC plug and then 6v (7v) on the red and black of the two wire plug with the NiMh pack plugged in.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:04 PM
mnfarmer

I took the receiver apart and there was some fine dirt in it so I cleaned it and I am going to leave it sit for awhile but I am guessing that I need a new one?
Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 PM
flyinwalenda

At this point that would be my guess.