Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

servo with lots of torque cheap ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 06:35 PM
imTMBR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servo with lots of torque cheap ????

can any one tell me where i can find a servo with allot of torque but a good price i need it for my hpi savage as there servos can even move the trucks wheels much
Old 03-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Donwebster

9KG Metal Gear Speed/Torque Servo http://www.wtotoy.com/hj-d3609-9kg-m...rc-models.html
Old 03-11-2014, 02:44 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To work the best, it really needs 7.0 volts.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d772.html
I have several in use in trucks and planes.

Buzz
Old 03-11-2014, 07:16 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power HD 1501MG 200 oz/in $12.50
http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...hd-1501mg.html

I have over 20 of them and use them in all my giant planes.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:04 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Another option is the Solar brand servos sold by Hobby Partz. Digital, high torque (300+ oz.), metal gear, coreless, fast servos (under .10 sec) for less than $20.00. There has to be some downside to servos with those features at that price, but if there are, they will show up somewhere down the line because new, right out of the box, they seem really good. I have some 770s and some 772s.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:58 AM
radfordc

Thanks for the heads up on the Solar servos. I ordered some 771s to try out.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:50 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing you will notice is that the cheaper servos just don't have the holding power. Thus they don't feel right when flying (or they feel off for lack of a better word). But it all depends on whether or not that is acceptable. To some people its not an issue.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:48 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are Chinese servos and there are Cheap Chinese servos. Solar servos fall into the Cheap Chinese servos that are plagued with many problems ranging from DOA and failure in flight.

I would rather spend $39.99 for Savox servos that have 222.0 in/oz of torque.

Frank
Old 03-21-2014, 07:13 AM
wildnloose

Originally Posted by countilaw
There are Chinese servos and there are Cheap Chinese servos.
Ha.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:41 AM
radfordc

Originally Posted by countilaw
Solar servos fall into the Cheap Chinese servos that are plagued with many problems ranging from DOA and failure in flight.

You seem to be the lone voice in the wilderness! I'm sure you've got lots of experience with Solar servos so you know just how crappy they are?

Everyone who has posted a review likes them a lot: http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solars...ProductReviews
- Have this on the rudder of my 30cc sbach, and wow. What a great servo. I absolutely love the strength and performance of it! Absolutely awesome!
- I am very satisfied with this product will definitely buy again
- I have these in my 31% mxsr and 30% sbach. They are awesome servos...I just ordered 9 more for my 27% mx2....AWESOME, RELIABLE and affordable.
- Wohoo !! this is a great servo, low price and high performance, great torque, i love it !! Recommended 100% !!!
- I can say that this servo is strong, against the judgment of others buy it, this is perfect EVEN got 12 pieces and replaced all my servo.
- Best servo value available you can buy 5 of these for the same cost of 1 big name servos and they are no better than the solar!!
and so on and so on.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:33 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With over 44 years experience in this hobby, I've been around the block a few times. I know what I've seen and I've seen a lot of 90 day self proclaimed experts to know one.
And that's what you find in these forums. A lot of self proclaimed experts. There is a true saying, You pay for what you get, and that fits Solar servos to a "T". Now you can go cheap and end up paying for it in the end, or you can spend a little more money for quality and save a lot of money over the long run. My 2 cents.

Frank
Old 03-21-2014, 11:39 AM
radfordc

Thanks for your view, Frank. A few more years and you will have been doing this as long as I have.

BTW, I'm not going to give an opinion on these servos until after I've tried them.

Last edited by radfordc; 03-21-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:21 PM
blvdbuzzard

Frank, I have been around long enough to remember that same talk about this CHEAP Japanese radio. What were they thinking when they made it out of molded black plastic. Why would they use (8) AA batteries and (4) AA batteries for the flight pack when every one knew the only ones to use were the sub C's. It feels cheap, looks cheap, won't last and I won't fly when any one has one at the field. They will not last, only garbage comes from Japan. This was a time when Kraft, EK Logic were kings. The radio in question was Futaba. Some things never change. I heard back then that you get what you pay for. I spent my hard earned dollars on the Futaba. It was $129.99 for a 4 channel setup, (3) right hand servos and a purple colored left hand servo. No dual rates, no servo reversing, no nothing. A used Kraft was $250.00

I heard the same things about another company. No way would they trust their pride and joy to a CHEAP servo from Hitec. They are junk and you get what you pay for. Some things never change.

I have purchased my fair share of cheap servo's. I have blown up enough HS-55 for ten people. I have 18 of these in service and they work rather well. I have yet to have a DOA or other failure. I have had more DOA and problems with the $50.00 Hitec servos then I have had with these. But then again I fly a 9x without any problems either. I use mostly the low cost servo's. I do have a few high dollar Airtronics, but those are in my helicopters.

There is a fallacy that just because it costs more, it is a better product. I have had more high dollar servos fail then these budget ones. I flew my stock Raptor 30 helicopter with Airtronics 94102 standard low end servos for 2 years. Never had an issue. Bought some $60.00 Hitec digitals, they were the new hot thing, after a month, I was back to my 102's.

Buzz.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:48 AM
radfordc

Here is my initial review of the servos. I compared the Power HD 1501 analog against the Solar D-771 digital. For speed and centering I just observed and judged if one was better than the other. The digital was maybe a hair faster....but it's hard to tell just by looking. They were both fast enough for anything I need. Both servos also centered very accurately in my estimation.

For torque I mounted the servos to a test board and installed a 3" long arm. I hooked a spring scale to the end of the arm and pulled until the servo was not able to move. The Power HD showed in excess of 180 in/oz of torque. The Solar didn't come close to that...only about 75 in/oz. This was using a 6.6v LiFe battery.

Based on what I see so far, I will still use the $13.00 Power HD servos for all my big planes. I'm sure the Solar servos will work for anything that is less than giant scale.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	servo test.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	1981316  
Old 03-25-2014, 10:53 AM
radfordc

Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
I heard the same things about another company. No way would they trust their pride and joy to a CHEAP servo from Hitec. They are junk and you get what you pay for. Some things never change.
That is ironic isn't it. Hitec started selling cheap Korean made servos and they were considered "junk". They raised their prices and now are considered to be a "brand name". Sometimes perception is truth.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:13 AM
wildnloose

Originally Posted by radfordc
That is ironic isn't it. Hitec started selling cheap Korean made servos and they were considered "junk". They raised their prices and now are considered to be a "brand name". Sometimes perception is truth.
Not exactly, the earlier ones were junk. They improved the quality of their servos, thus they became good enough to compete. At least for the sport flyers. I still think some of their servos are junk, but they have had success with several models. For instance, their 645mg has a strong record. But just do a holding test and you will quickly recognize that its nothing more than a cheap analog servo. But it works good enough. I have several as a testament to that. But I know what I bought and expect nothing more.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:10 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by wildnloose
Not exactly, the earlier ones were junk. They improved the quality of their servos, thus they became good enough to compete. At least for the sport flyers. I still think some of their servos are junk, but they have had success with several models. For instance, their 645mg has a strong record. But just do a holding test and you will quickly recognize that its nothing more than a cheap analog servo. But it works good enough. I have several as a testament to that. But I know what I bought and expect nothing more.
You seem to be obsessed with holding power.
I can make you a really cheap servo with infinite holding power
Servo Torque = Motor torque X gear ratio- bearing friction.
Holding power = motor torque X gear ratio + bearing friction
With the cheap servo and plain bearings you will likely have more holding power.
An expensive servo with coreless motors could have very little holding power depending on the resistance across the motor armature.
What you noticed with the cheaper servo is greater deadband.

Price is not a good indicator of servo performance. The more expensive ones just give you bragging rights and make you feel better

Last edited by dirtybird; 03-26-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 AM
wildnloose

Originally Posted by dirtybird
You seem to be obsessed with holding power.
I can make you a really cheap servo with infinite holding power
Servo Torque = Motor torque X gear ratio- bearing friction.
Holding power = motor torque X gear ratio + bearing friction
With the cheap servo and plain bearings you will likely have more holding power.
An expensive servo with coreless motors could have very little holding power depending on the resistance across the motor armature.
What you noticed with the cheaper servo is greater deadband.

Price is not a good indicator of servo performance. The more expensive ones just give you bragging rights and make you feel better
Actually more interested in the lack of holding power. I have a friend who just went thru this excercise. He bought a 50cc plane off another friend. He flew it before he bought it (yes it had hi power hi dollar digitals installed). He bought plane without servos and decided to put in some cheap analogs (will remain nameless). It took him 2 flights to realize the plane was not flying the was it was before (mushy, his words, not mine). So he replaced with some "better" digitals (again will remain namless). Once again he said the plane lacked "crispness". But he said he will fly it some more and may just live with it the way it is.

Regarding the 645mg, I never questioned them before I saw this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZP-wUpJ17w) and decided to test it myself. Similar results. I still use them, and will continue to buy them as long as they are available. Its nice to know what they are capable of so I can make a better choice if needed.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 AM
radfordc

Basically I agree with what you are saying. A good/cheap servo will serve up to about the 90% performance level which covers about everything I fly. If you need to go to the 99% level then you do have to buy the absolute best servo that you can find....and generally the absolute best costs the absolute most.

Here is an example of my biggest plane...100"/55cc engine, with Power HD servos. Instead of $600 worth of servos I'm flying with $60 worth and it suits my needs very well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tCLBPriUhdE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by radfordc; 03-26-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:23 PM
blvdbuzzard

With the solar servo, I noticed a big difference in how well it worked with my ESC set at 6.0v and at 7.2v. It was no where near as strong at 6v as it was at 7. They like the higher voltage better then the others.

For what I use them in, they work well enough. My largest plane right now is only 15 pounds.

Buzz.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:26 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by wildnloose
Actually more interested in the lack of holding power. I have a friend who just went thru this excercise. He bought a 50cc plane off another friend. He flew it before he bought it (yes it had hi power hi dollar digitals installed). He bought plane without servos and decided to put in some cheap analogs (will remain nameless). It took him 2 flights to realize the plane was not flying the was it was before (mushy, his words, not mine). So he replaced with some "better" digitals (again will remain namless). Once again he said the plane lacked "crispness". But he said he will fly it some more and may just live with it the way it is.

Regarding the 645mg, I never questioned them before I saw this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZP-wUpJ17w) and decided to test it myself. Similar results. I still use them, and will continue to buy them as long as they are available. Its nice to know what they are capable of so I can make a better choice if needed.
A few years ago I tested several servos foe RCU. They paid me but did not publish the results.
The high dollar servos generally have a deadband of 3usec or less. Standard servos are about 13usec. Who knows what the low cost digitals are. Deadband is what determines crispness.
JR advertises their servos have 0usec deadband. With no resting place it will hunt and wear out the gears quickly. But they should give you the best crispness.
The best servo I found at the time was the HITEC 5955..