Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is Airtronics pulling out of the RC market?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 05:37 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's Horizon's trademark. I think we all know that.

Something Hitec is doing now with the Aurora 9 that Airtronics really should consider is multi-protocol. You can get an A9 that also will work with Tactic receivers. I do miss the days when you could buy a 72mhz radio and use it with any receiver you wanted to as long as it had the right shift. An awful lot of us bought Futaba or JR radios and then saved a few bucks on Hitec dual shift receivers. It was really nice when buying used stuff, because if a plane came with a Hitec receiver it would work with your transmitter.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:43 AM
Rod_Hart
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that Hitech makes the tatic radios for Great Planes. That makes it easy for them to have multiple protocols. It would be nice to have an radio with the most common protocols.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:42 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Multiple protocols ---it is really amazing how various mfgrs use different protocols.
Is there a superior one ?
OK- then why so many
One mfgr has a potful of em for reasons which make no good sense but they hope to find one -I suppose - which will eventually sell well---
The basic regs concerning our use of the " spread spectrum 2.4 " , say you can't interfere with others using the band
If you look around, there now many small suppliers selling quad copters - etc., all on their own protocols and no interference issues.- most are short range setups .
So why all the talk about superior signals?
Mostly BS
You can't make chips in your backyard and face it NONE of the radio guys make their own - NONE OF EM.
there were/are some modified uses (some were real screw ups) but basically a few different chips programmed differently.
Old favorite brands will continue to fade away - those mfgrs who provide more interesting and original features will simply own the market .
Look at GM - they once owned the lions share of US sales - Now they play catch up ball .

Last edited by rmh; 03-20-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:45 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

I don't blame sanwa per se, I own spektrum, jr and airtronics..its also driven by American distributors strengths and marketing savvy...if you poke around on the web, sanwa has some excellent radios outside of the USA...the quadcopters have driven a lot of innovation...and the clone receivers have really trimmed some of the greed on pricing..
Old 03-20-2014, 09:31 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by rmh
Buy what you like - it's a hobby-and a learning curve
They are top selling brand for very good reasons.
rmh,

Just because a product is the top selling brand, doesn't necessarily make them the best. For example, YS engines only represent a small percentage of the total number of four stroke glow engines, but they are one of the best, if not the best engines of their type.
Yep....I'll keep buying Futaba and Hitec, and never think about Spektrum thank you.

Greg
Old 03-20-2014, 11:04 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rmh
They are top selling brand for very good reasons.
marketing...

I can get a flight sim, radio and plane that all work together instantaneously, outside of charging a battery or 2. I think thats a huge advantage to them in that it makes it very easy for newcomers to join the hobby. Greatly simplifies the learning curve.

but I don't think that makes them particularly better.... it definitely doesn't make them worse either...

agree on fly what feels comfortable to you.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:18 PM
raptureboy

Yes, just using it generically, since hobbico offers something similar but you are able to use your own radio with a tactic conversion kit.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:51 PM
jnhiller

Since I have an SD-10G this thread caught my eye. I started using Futaba with as I remember an 8-JN and replaced my 9C when I started running into 2.4 only contests. I admit price influenced my decision as well as the single receiver. At the time an upgrade to ball bearing gimbals with Futaba was around $1000.
Over the years I’ve observed problems and corrective action with nearly all radio brands and our model aircraft hobby is rapidly being surpassed by a short-term sophisticated toy market evolving nearly daily. I once flew with an old guy that commented, he had a lot less radio problems after he learned how to fly.
I’m happy with the SD-10 and use very few of the available features and.expect it to serve my needs well into the future.
Jim
Old 03-20-2014, 05:03 PM
raptureboy

And now they are going on sale April 1st at hobbypeople.net for 249.99, just saw the ad in MA. For over a $100 saving off the sd10gs I can forgo a couple of switches
Old 03-20-2014, 06:53 PM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like my cheap Airtronics 6 channel radio a lot. I don't like it when my S........ radio loses its bind all by itself.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:04 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Airtronics isn't going anywhere. They're absolutely CRUSHING the R/C car market.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:44 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of people fly electrics (they majority nowadays). I fly gas and big electrics. I would like my radio to have the features (telemetry) to allow me to do what this controller does. And I can see in the future all companies having something similar to this one. Darn Germans are ahead of the game.

http://www.espritmodel.com/graupner-...telemetry.aspx

You will be able to program the controller, and know the performance of your power plant, and how much fuel you are burning while you fly. And the radio will be able to tell you things like: get ready to land, ready to land, land now, dimwit, I told you to land,... Do we need this? Do we really need this? No, but then again, remember you cannot use "bling" and "common sense" in the same sentence.

Gerry
Old 03-21-2014, 05:12 AM
Rod_Hart
My Feedback: (4)

Do mean like this.

http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/...472-combo.html

http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/...x-471-dry.html

Airtronics is already doing telemetry and read out from escs in thier car radios.

Rod
Old 03-21-2014, 05:24 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

On the Spektrum topic, they dominate the market 100% because they have made good marketing decisions. They were first to the 2.4ghz party, which got them established, then they got Horizon to do the BNF planes which just happened to be in the fastest growing segment of the hobby. A great marketing strategy is the reason they dominate, not the quality of their products.

You're right, Old Rookie. The best quality brands don't necessarily dominate the market. YS is a bit better engine than Saito, although i hear they are bit more tricky to tune. Yet Saito probably sells 3 engines for every 1 YS sells. Same thing with Fox versus OS. Fox engines are made better and put out a bit more power usually for the same weight, but OS dominates because they market their products well. In radios, I genuinely think Futaba is the quality leader as far as making a good reliable circuit board, but Airtronics gives you so much more in features for your money. Maybe they'll apply their telemetry experience with the RC car equipment to their air radios soon. If they do, they'll have the hands down best mid grade radio in the market.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:54 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Agreed on the Spektrum topic.
Most of the cheap entry level BNF planes have a Spektrum radio included in the package, so when the purchaser of the BNF plane moves up to a more sophisticated model and radio, Spektrum is betting that the person will buy their brand without even considering another brand of radio. Mindless purchasing decision.
Well at least everyone can agree that you should fly what ever makes you feel good, but like I said Spektrum doesn't even come close to doing that for me, so I'll pass and just smile and shake my head when someone is raving about their new Spektrum radio.
I really hope Airtronics continues improving their airplane radios. They make a good product for a reasonable price. The competition keeps all of the manufactures on their toes.

Greg
Old 03-21-2014, 07:01 AM
mattnew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GerKonig
A lot of people fly electrics (they majority nowadays). I fly gas and big electrics. I would like my radio to have the features (telemetry) to allow me to do what this controller does. And I can see in the future all companies having something similar to this one. Darn Germans are ahead of the game.

http://www.espritmodel.com/graupner-...telemetry.aspx

You will be able to program the controller, and know the performance of your power plant, and how much fuel you are burning while you fly. And the radio will be able to tell you things like: get ready to land, ready to land, land now, dimwit, I told you to land,... Do we need this? Do we really need this? No, but then again, remember you cannot use "bling" and "common sense" in the same sentence.

Gerry

the "dimwit" voice features are something I would pay for :-)
"I said pull up! stupid"
"nobody likes a figure 9"
"I guess I'd call that a landing, I mean your plane is technically on the ground... or in it"
Old 03-21-2014, 07:51 AM
raptureboy

the "dimwit" voice features are something I would pay for :-)
"I said pull up! stupid"
"nobody likes a figure 9"
"I guess I'd call that a landing, I mean your plane is technically on the ground... or in it"

your other left jackass! Hey, don't blame me for the crash I only send out the signals I'm told too.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:55 AM
raptureboy

I have to say this about Spectrum, they seem to be indestructable. My flying buddy crashed his new Mustang (stalled it) and he got so mad he threw his radio across the field so hard it popped open the battery cover and the battery flew out. He is still using it today without having ever sent it in for service.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:35 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Airtronics has always suffered from one problem - lack of a US distributor with an aggressive marketing department. They are currently distributed through Global Hobby/Hobby People, who it seems are more interested in selling their cheap high margin product lines than building the customer base of a top of the line radio manufacturer. Airtronics makes great products, but when was the last time you saw one in your LHS, or an actual Airtronics ad? This is the same problem Enya has had for decades, they are the equal or better of OS, yet where can you buy one?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:51 AM
bigedmustafa

When I bought my first RDS8000, I didn't know a single other pilot who had an Airtronics 2.4Ghz air radio. After I bought mine, I started showing it around and talking up the features, the benefits, and why I chose Airtronics after I'd been flying Futaba on 72Mhz.

A few of my flying buddies saw how happy I was with my RDS8000, and they ordered RDS8000 radio systems. Once they started flying their RDS8000s, they showed them off to their buddies. Pilots started walking in to our local hobby store asking about the RDS8000 from Airtronics. Club members wanted to know if they stocked the radio. Club members wanted to know if they carried extra receivers.

The local hobby store started ordering Airtronics radios and receivers for stock. We had built up local demand simply by using Airtronics and talking about the product. Now anybody in town can walk in to the local hobby store and see Airtronics RDS8000s, SD-10g, or SD-6g radio systems sitting right next to the Spektrum DX6i and Futaba 8FG Super radio systems.

Retailers typically don't "sell" products, they only handle purchase transactions. Airtronics and Global Hobby have supported their air radio line-up with plenty of advertising. Hobby store owners don't want to have to sell Airtronics radios, they want pilots to walk in and ask for them. If people are walking in and asking for Futaba or Spektrum instead, that's what the hobby store owners will stock.

In order to break into an established market, you can't just show up with a great new product. It has to be something different and unique that nobody else has. The Hitec Aurora 9 was exactly that kind of product when Hitec launched it. The Aurora 9 was the first air radio system with telemetry, and the plain-language touchscreen programming interface is still almost unique for air radio systems under $1,000. As a result, Hitec has a reasonably good chunk of the 2.4Ghz air radio market now in North America, despite being the last of the big four manufacturers to introduce a new product.

For Airtronics to increase their market share in air radios, they'll have to bring something else to the table for consumers to take notice. Simply introducing a really nice 14-channel air radio with telemetry wouldn't attract new pilots to the Airtronics product line in any significant number.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:20 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by Rod_Hart
Do mean like this.

http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/...472-combo.html

http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/...x-471-dry.html

Airtronics is already doing telemetry and read out from escs in thier car radios.

Rod

I could care less, unless those cars fly:-) But, it is interesting to know that at least in some segment they are showing innovation... The step is that we could buy a escape that we can a) program EASILY from the radio, and also have telemetry. Like the one I showed in the link I posted.

Gerry

Last edited by GerKonig; 03-21-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-21-2014, 10:23 AM
GerKonig

Yes, Horizon owned "Bind and fly" it is not true they they also copyrighted "Bind and crash" (used so frequently in the early days of Spectrum...)

Gerry
Old 03-21-2014, 12:01 PM
rmh

I know some guys feel their brand is superior simply because it is --their choice.
If you study features which are really advances in making the systems user friendly (which makes em popular ) you may change your mind
This are good reasons why some systems are the most popular .
Old 03-21-2014, 02:04 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think they are pulling out they just came out with a new six channel radio. I do think they need to upgrade the SD-10G to at least 12-14 channels.
They should bring out a telemetry unit that will work with all their 2.4 systems including the older ones also.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Pippin

Sanwa / Airtronics is the number one RC company for top drivers. HH's trademark Spektrum is more or less unknown among the world top drivers.

Look here: http://www.myrcm.ch/th/rcaddict/2014.../MO/index.html

So, why should Sanwa leave the profitable radio market?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.