Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

ReBorn Again Beginner - Radios?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 01:15 PM
BeeSharp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ReBorn Again Beginner - Radios?

I'm getting back into RC Airplanes after a 10+ year hiatus. I sold off nearly all my RC stuff and am looking at getting back into it. I had an Airtronics radio/buddy box and also a Futaba transmitter way back when. The little bit I've been reading it seems radios have jumped forward and there aren't preassigned frequencies anymore? Also, there seem to be several new manufacturers on the scene. When I was active the big 3 were Futaba, Airtronics and JR. HiTech was establishing themselves, but was still looked at as the new kid and a bit questionable. It seems Spektrum has some good looking radios and I never heard of them and there might be some others? Previously, having a mix of radios/rx's/cables and servos was tough to manage sometimes.

I solo'ed a couple times, but was never really a profficient pilot. I really enjoyed kit/plan building and ended up with a garage full of planes. Now that the kids are out of the house I plan on building a trainer (probably a Telemaster) to get started and having more time for flying. I would appreciate some input for radio selection. I remember from before that after a couple years of being in the hobby I would've made different choices for a radio. I would've spent more on my initial purchase that would had the capability to grow in the hobby (probably a mid-level JR).

So I'm looking for some guidance, if you had to do it over again what radio/manufacturer would you purchase for multiple models to last several years in the hobby? I understand this is a very subjective question, but hopefully I can gain some knowledge that's way more current from what I barely remember!

Thanks
Jim
Old 04-27-2014, 01:41 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim, there are numerous threads here on RC Universe and RC-Groups asking the same type question. I would recommend a little searching the thread titles and some reading on your part. The answers are going to be the same for you as for the other people asking the question. Luckily for you, the current crop of radios are pretty good and you have lots of choices. Most radios work quite well so it is pretty hard to make a bad choice if you stay with the name brand radios. You do need to identify what your requirements are, no one else can answer that question for you. Then do some reading, compare to your requirements, etc.

I would add that how a radio feels in your hands can be important. The you should be able to reach and move the sticks to full deflection in all directions without issue, you should be able to reach the switches easily without fumbling around. A visit to your local hobby shop and or flying field should give you an opportunity to hold various transmitters and see how they feel to you. Also, it can be very helpful if you are using a radio that is used by the local flyers, they can more easily help you program your radio and set up your plane than if you buy a radio no one else in your area is using.

Woodie
Old 04-28-2014, 06:41 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will add; research and find out what kind of local support there is for whatever you are thinking of buying. If the guys at the field are using the same thing you are, they can be a world of help. If you are flying something strange, you may well be on your own.

Les