Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX6i brown out issues.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:11 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtybird
I think the problem is multipath. A reflected signal comes in out of phase and cancels your signal at a certain spot.
You said you were in the nowhere. Where are your cars parked?
Futaba or any band shifting system would be less likely to suffer this problem
I really don't see this as an issue at all
All the full range systems have some type of system which moves around in the spectrum. There are 2.4 systems which are in the "toy" market and these don't skip around but all the hobby market stuff does.
At this point in time -I have never seen a issue in the 2.4 spread spectrum , which is like the multi path issue we once had on 53/72 etc..
Old 08-27-2014, 03:20 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe not but he says the problem occurs repeatably in one spot. What other explanation do you have for that? He also says the equipment range checks and works fine after landing.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:44 PM
rmh

Originally Posted by dirtybird
Maybe not but he says the problem occurs repeatably in one spot. What other explanation do you have for that? He also says the equipment range checks and works fine after landing.
Explanation?
I have none .
Based on info given and what I know of possible issues with 2.4 radios-I see nothing definitive
Old 08-28-2014, 11:34 AM
308jockey

For whatever it's worth, our DX6i came back from Horizon yesterday after about a week in the shop. Both gimbals were replaced, software was updated and all of the programming we had in it is still there. No charge for shipping or repairs. Looks good so far, we'll try it out in the next week and see what happens.

Rick H.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:11 PM
Mikecam

LOL the never ending Spektrum thread. Where's Rich when you really need him eh Andy. Stay young my friend.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:47 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

How is everything flying now that the DX6i is back from service, Rick?
Old 09-24-2014, 04:03 PM
308jockey

So far so good. Everything is working except the Blade 450X and I have no idea what is wrong with that thing. Too bad, since it's great when it works. The other models on that TX are working well so far. The older one is working just fine having demonstrated no problems at all.

Rick H.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:40 AM
alxb66

Hi to all

Iam also using a DX6i radio for a year now, got no problem with it for the past year until last week i lost my foam plane with it. While i was flying high my plane about 500ft i lost control of the plane, when i take a look at the DX6i display it rebooted it self and when power returns it was set into different model, so i have no chance to re bind it again to the model iam flying, which i thought it will bind again after power on. I was using an alkaline battery with it and the voltage is still 5.5v on the display. I didnt have any battery alarm which i think set to 4.5volts.

Any one have the same or any idea what happen to me? i dont want to loose any plane with it, but i still hope i can still use the radio or find the problem with it, i will check the battery spring and power on switch.

Alex
Old 10-09-2014, 03:03 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alxb66
Hi to all

Iam also using a DX6i radio for a year now, got no problem with it for the past year until last week i lost my foam plane with it. While i was flying high my plane about 500ft i lost control of the plane, when i take a look at the DX6i display it rebooted it self and when power returns it was set into different model, so i have no chance to re bind it again to the model iam flying, which i thought it will bind again after power on. I was using an alkaline battery with it and the voltage is still 5.5v on the display. I didnt have any battery alarm which i think set to 4.5volts.

Any one have the same or any idea what happen to me? i dont want to loose any plane with it, but i still hope i can still use the radio or find the problem with it, i will check the battery spring and power on switch.

Alex
Alex.... You might have a problem with the battery clips as they are quite a problem with this radio. I had to bend the clips on my radio for a tighter fit when I bought it. Worth checking out. Also.... Put some thin foam on the back of the cover to keep the batteries a bit tighter. It is a great radio but the battery installation is a weakness.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:10 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree, this was probably a reboot caused by power loss.

The reason it changed models on you is because you had not power-cycled the radio after selecting the new model. This causes the new model to be the "current" model. If you had done that, it would have powered back up on the right model. I only mention this so you understand how the radio works.

The real problem is that power was interrupted, not anything you did.

Andy
Old 10-09-2014, 06:59 PM
alxb66

Thailazer

Thank you for the comment.

Andy

Could you explain more about the power cycle procees on the radio? Did i got it right, after i select the model i will fly or use i had to power it OFF then ON again so the radio will remember it ? so even it shuts down it will return to the model i select?

What actually happen is the model i select is number 4 on the memory bank then when it rebooted it select the number 1 model on the memory upon power ON again, is this right what you have explained?

Thank you
Alex
Old 10-10-2014, 06:19 AM
AndyKunz

That's correct, Alex. The battery clip is the problem, not you, but you can compensate for it by doing as you said.

Andy
Old 11-19-2014, 07:55 PM
alxb66

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
That's correct, Alex. The battery clip is the problem, not you, but you can compensate for it by doing as you said.

Andy
Andy

I got what you told here now iam doing as you instruct power cycle. Now if the tx reboot it will be back will the last model.
Now i have a question, how much voltage my DX6i can take iam planning to install a 2S battery on it will it kill the radio or it can handle the voltage?

Thank you,
Alex

Last edited by alxb66; 11-19-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:14 PM
AndyKunz

Up to about 6V. I don't know the specifics of the DX6i circuitry, but that's all that it is rated for.

Andy
Old 11-20-2014, 11:34 PM
Rob2160

For what its worth, with 4 x NiZn batteries in my DX6i the voltage screen shows around 7.0 volts. I have operated it like this for about an hour of flying and it was fine. Still a long way short of 8.4 with a fully charged LiPo. Personally I wouldn't risk it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	943
Size:	823.7 KB
ID:	2049051   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 copy.JPG
Views:	961
Size:	568.9 KB
ID:	2049052  

Last edited by Rob2160; 11-21-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:46 PM
alxb66

Thanks guys for the advice, it was just a thought of trying it so i will have longer charging freq. Now iam using 4 alkaline battery so far iam satisfied how long it hold and can power the radio but i was thinking it maybe the same with Nimh or Nicd sudden voltage drop during use. I hope its not the same issue. Thank you for the answer.

Alex
Old 12-06-2014, 09:10 AM
1UGLYPUG

I lost 3 planes with a Futaba,,, even after sending it to the factory ,,, Told them we could keep this up, or send me a new transmitter,, then problem solved. But, Spektrum will make good on a lost plane when they know the TX was the problem... Futaba tells you to pound sand even when they know it was their radio and replace it,,, Terrible customer service from Futaba.... I use Spectrum and JR now,, nothing else, and never had a lost plane due to radio since! Even use the HK orange RX and have great results! For some reason the orange RX bind faster and better than the Spektrum RX... Haven't figured that one out yet.. Also,, There is a problem with the Spektrum 500 series RX... Lost a couple planes with the bad RX... Only use 7 channel or Orange RX now and no problem since. Also, there is a problem with the little wire between the RX and Satellite with the Spektrums. Got a 9 channel from a friend who said he was having a problem with the satellite losing bind,, replaced the extension wire with a HK one, and problem solved,, had a similar problem with a 7 channel Spektrum,,, most likely poor solder joint or something with the extension wire,,, If you have a 5 channel spektrum RX junk it,, They don't hold up... had one with a bad throttle, another with a bad elevator channel...
Old 01-13-2015, 07:56 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone want to buy a DX6i like for cheap?
Old 09-08-2015, 09:29 AM
TOPGUN WINNER
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem...never lost an airplane due to radio until i purchased a spektrum...i believe 100% that it is a spektrum design flaw.

You did everything right just the way you should have...i can make a spektrum radio "brown-out" on command. Nothing you can do about it.

I can prove it is a design flaw and they are responsible for the aircraft that are being crashed every day of the week. They will never find the problem without help.

You can not fix your radio equipment...it must have a major change incorporated into the computer system methodology.

I would tell everyone why it is crashing if it would help, but it would not do you any good... I tried to tell horizon hobbies and got the corporate run around.
"tell one of our clerks how to fix it and we will get back to you...." what a joke!

Check out the legal problems with the spektrum radio system because of all the crashes that have been going on since the first radios cam out . I purchased one of the first ones...100% of my crashes were with my spektrum. I have lost over $40,000 worth of planes and they don't want to talk about it. An imac plane can cost over $11,000 each....the only 3 crashes of imac equipment that i am aware of was the pilots using spektrum dx-18 radios...no, that was not caused by the latest warning from spektrum for the dx-18.

I will no longer fly spektrum except for my little sticks that are only worth $500 to $600. That is still a lot to loose !!!!
Old 09-08-2015, 09:49 AM
rmh

Did you compose this silly write up all by yourself?
Do expect anyone with enough sense to pour pee out of a boot, to believe any of it? -
Old 09-09-2015, 09:05 AM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

Well I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the DX6i is a very cheaply built and untrustworthy radio and should only be used for park flyers. Cheap park flyers.

I have upgraded to a DX7s and it seems to be a much higher quality radio. I've not had a single problem with it. I'm wishing I had waited and got a DX8 but I couldn't
afford one at the time.

I still have the DX6i but I don't trust it any farther than I can throw it...

Airmanbob.... Spektrum fan boy
Old 09-13-2015, 11:39 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

Battery clips are the main reason for the dx-6 failures.

I have been doing extensive testing on this problem for about three months. Spektrum said they could not find a problem with their transmitters and/or receivers.
Half of that statement is true: Spectrum transmitters do not have a problem...really. All of my testing shows that the spektrum transmitters are a great product and a good buy...i recommend them to every new pilot i teach. (about 20 per year)

i have videos of the tests we have run. They use the same aircraft and same servos. They use a dx-8 and new dx-7 transmitters both equally good.

The only difference is the receivers. Spectrum receivers of all types failed terribly. They are the worst of any receiver tested. None of them can handle the amps required to run five standard size servos. We use spektrum digital servos that come with the radios when you buy them...that is the kiss of death.

Several of you have found the answer to your problems but did not recognize it. Use your radio with confidence but only use your spektrum receivers in foamies or .46 size sticks...if you run futaba servos you can feel safe with a 60 size stick. Other than that just forget spektrum receivers...they are junk and spektrum knows it.

Their engineers have work around methods like a separate battery for your receiver and a separate power bus for your servos, life or lipo batteries that both require voltage regulators to work properly. They will also tell you not to use nicd batteries while 90% of the pilots still use the battery of choice.

You van use nicd 5cell 6.0v packs through your jr or futaba receiver and fly a large imac 3-d plane...do not try that with specktrum receivers or you will crash and horizon hobbies knows it.

I have several videos but the most relevent one shows the same 3-d plane as the first where the two spektrum receivers failed every time you did a snap roll.

I replaced it with an orange 7 channel from hobby king $17.00 and a satellite for $13.00 from hobby king. Never fly anything without a satellite, it just isn't worth it.

It was impossible to make it fail...i think that say's it all. However, i have been told that the jr receiver is even better but costs a lot more.

If you fly giant aircraft that needs 3 servos for each aileron and a five pack for the rudder etc etc...please go with a power bus for your servos with two life batteries and a separate battery for your receiver. I strongly recommend you use two receivers with separate batteries in case one fails you keep flying until you can land. You see this in imac competition for the past 15 years that i know of. That includes some world champions.

Well, i will post some videos if someone can show me how...i have never posted anything but i think this needs to be seen. We all want back the money we have lost. I only got the run around from horizon hobby...you should all get what they cost you by not telling you the truth about their receivers.

God bless and good luck...you have all the information you need to stop crashing... If you go big, go futaba...they are the best for now. Jr & orange is your temporary fix...
Old 09-13-2015, 11:55 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

Do you work for spektrum like andy? Andy is much smarter...he knows what is wrong but can't tell you. Don't worry, i will tell everyone.

Is your name on the moon? Just asking...lol mine is...i put it there.

Quote" it is better to listen and let others think you a fool than to say something that confirms it....bobby kennedy
Old 09-13-2015, 02:02 PM
rmh

This is just too goofy ---------