Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Question on radio

Old 10-09-2014, 03:19 PM
jayseas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on radio

Hey guy's i'm wanting to start playing the rc thing and i have a question on a radio.Would this radio be ok to start with. I don't want to lay alot of money on a radio system and find out i don't want to stay with the hobby.So what about this radio?comments please.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-ct6b-r6b-radiosystem.html
Old 10-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by jayseas
Hey guy's i'm wanting to start playing the rc thing and i have a question on a radio.Would this radio be ok to start with. I don't want to lay alot of money on a radio system and find out i don't want to stay with the hobby.So what about this radio?comments please.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-ct6b-r6b-radiosystem.html
Buying a cheap radio can be false economy. The quality and support is generally not what you get with a brand name radio like Futaba, JR, Hitec or Spektrum.

I never skimp on the radio as this is the heart of your RC experience. I would recommend something like a Spektrum DX6i which is a base level but still very capable radio.

Brand name radios will have a better resale if you decide the hobby is not for you. You might find it impossible to sell the radio you mentioned as a used item.

Another good one is the FrSky Taranis, but this has a steeper learning curve.. FrSky is a different brand to Fly Sky which is the one in your link.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:07 PM
jayseas

Thank you for your input on the mentioned topic and radio.I appreciate you taking the time to comment.
jim
Old 10-11-2014, 06:59 AM
Greywolf123

I agree about the Taranis. It is a great radio but it does take a bit to learn but worth it. The resale is pretty good if you do not stay with it.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:58 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on the Taranis.

Very impressive radio, a "Game Changer" in my opinion, but a little on the Geek side. Lot's of videos and info out there for those who are not afraid to learn.

The last time I was this impressed by a radio was the old Ace Micropro 8000, another "game changing" radio. Probably not the best choice for a beginner, better to get a plain jane Spektrum DX6 so others can help you at the field.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:12 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That radio is very limited. If you are still flying in 6 months, you will have tossed it and bought a better radio. Seems almost all radio thread leave out Aritronics. They make great stuff. They have a 6 channel radio that has a lot of features. An 8 channel that the only real complaint is no expo on rudder.

As stated with the cheaper radios, there will very little if any help when things dont work. There is a lot of support in the forums for the 9x. I guess I am almost through my 3rd year with it. Never a glitch, hiccup, brown out, loss of signal. There are a bunch of threads on moding this radio on rcgroups. There is an open source firmware that you can install.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-th9x-r...nel-radio.html

I have really thought about the Taranis. It looks nice and has a ton of features. Not sure it would be good for a first radio?

Buzz.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:26 AM
jayseas

I want to say thanks for all your comments.I went ahead and bought the new 6ch flysky FS-T6.
Thanks again
Old 10-22-2014, 12:23 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Hopefully you'll be happy with your purchase, jayseas. It should be a good radio system for flying foam aircraft. You may find that having to connect it to a computer to change the mixing or reverse a servo could prove inconvenient. The receiver has only a single short antenna lead, so it may not provide a reliable connection with larger models, models with internal combustion engines (gas or glow), or models using carbon fiber construction.

Flying radio control is even more fun than you think it's going to be; I believe your Flysky FS-T6 will open up a whole new passion for you! Let us know if you have any additional questions.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:33 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Fly Sky T6 has a digital display and no need to hook up to a laptop or desktop. The CT6B is the one you have to plug into a computer.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-t6-6ch-radio-lcd.html

For $55.00, I have though about getting one just to see how good or bad it is. I do like that you have on screen programing.

jayseas, give us a report when you get it and let us know what you think.

Buzz.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:26 PM
jayseas

check the radio out here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OK9nARK9Ww#t=120
Old 05-09-2015, 03:35 AM
michaelr1

I have a Flysky FS-T6 and the LCD display went blank. It still transmits to the receiver, but I have no display. Anyone ever heard of that?? remedy??
Old 05-09-2015, 04:50 AM
coriolan

Might be a bad contact somewhere, FlySky QC isn't the best and there is no service available from them so its basically a trow away radio!
Old 05-09-2015, 06:05 AM
michaelr1

Yes Thats what I thought. You get what you pay for.... Recomendations on a good brand of Radio?
Old 05-09-2015, 06:24 AM
coriolan

Most established brands are good quality and offer service if needed, a visit to the local hobby shop is the best way to compare different Tx handling and quality. It all depend on your budget and what features you need the radio for.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:05 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by michaelr1
I have a Flysky FS-T6 and the LCD display went blank. It still transmits to the receiver, but I have no display. Anyone ever heard of that?? remedy??
If it works why not just continue to use it? We had radios for many years without displays and had no trouble flying.
If you need a display just buy another one. Most radios are made in China anyway..