Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

R/C system recommendations for large 24v motors

Old 01-06-2015, 07:38 PM
haganwalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy R/C system recommendations for large 24v motors

Hello,

This is an area that I'm totally new to, so bare with me. I'm building a robot with four fixed wheels and have put my questions in bold below. Each wheel will have a 24V 250W motor on it and will operate like the MegaBot (youtube video here). I believe a two channel controller will be adequate, one channel for the left side and one for the right, however, a 4 channel or higher will give me some more options to add later.

I currently have a bench prototype with an arduino. The 24V system is connected to the motor through a massive transistor, and the transistor is pwm controlled through the arduino. The arduino pin goes high, the motor turns on via the transistor. The pin goes low, the motor turns off. R/C cars work much the same way, but I cant seem to find much with using transistors and an RC controller. What would be a good controller to use? Also, how would you wire this to a transistor? It looks like these R/C systems have three pins, a power, ground, and signal. I would guess that I would connect the signal to the gate, and ground to source, as done below, correct?

I've found what seems to be a decent R/C system on ebay, and it's pictured below. If I were to buy something like this, would it work with my application? I think the transistor threshold is 4.3V, so I would need a 5V RC system at least.

Thank you,

Hagan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rfp30n06le-arduino-solenoid.png
Views:	71
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	2061823   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	2061824