Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum receiver loss of bind

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 09:05 AM
davewall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum receiver loss of bind

I have had the same problem with three receivers now. What happens is after not being used for a month or so when I go to use it the receiver has lost its bind. When I try to rebind it it will not enter bind mode (flashing lights). When I switch on you can see a momentary flicker on the LED 's. Each time I have sent them back to Horizon and they have replaced them with new no questions asked. When I spoke to them about it they said they haven't had any back with this problem. I can't be the only one surely. Has anyone else experienced this. It's happened with two AR9000 and an AR
Old 02-01-2015, 09:55 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well you're doing something wrong.....

The symptoms you describe are most often associated with either reversed power lead into the servo (the positive lead remains in the center pin but you can reverse the signal and ground leads), or a satellite issue, usually a bad connection wire with those tiny plugs the wires tend to get pulled instead of the housing when disconnecting. Last is that you may have a bad satellite, it doesn't happen often but does occur occasionally.

Oh, one other thing; are you SURE that you are plugging the bind plug into the correct slot on the rx? If that is correct take a multi-meter and make sure the bind pin has continuity between the outside pins.

Man I keep thinking of other stuff. You said the rx's lose bind after sitting? Well first off, they cannot lose bind as when the binding is done, a specific code is written to the rx's non-volatile memory. The most common cause of rewriting the code is someone laying a tx down and the bind button gets depressed. The other thing is that rx's with satellites are designed to keep functioning if a satellite is lost during flight, but it will not turn on again and relink with the tx after the power is cycled. It's sure looking like you have a satellite problem....

Last edited by Zeeb; 02-01-2015 at 10:03 AM. Reason: more information
Old 02-03-2015, 01:35 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with Zeeb. Your doing something wrong.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:18 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious - are you using a first generation DX7? (not the DX7s, nor the new black DX7 that was just announced...)

I found that if the DX7 tx was laying on it's back, sometimes when you push on the on/off switch to turn the TX on, it would depress the bind button on the back of the radio. I found if was careful NOT to lay the transmitter down when turning it on, the "problem" went away.

Since I switched to the DX8 and then the DX9, no problems the way you're describing them, and my RX's in planes can set for months between uses.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:46 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Fizzwater2,

The push button problem was an issue with the original DX7. I was having a similar problem at the field. The way our benches were constructed if you set the TX down in a certain way the wood rail on the bench would push the bind button which would result in an unbind.

I glued two pieces of plastic tubing next to the button to keep this from happening. The button did not have enough protection around it until I did the mod.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:13 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought about that - but sold the DX7 and bought a DX8 instead..
Old 02-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Delta Mike
My Feedback: (18)

I have had the same problem on an AR 12110 and a DX18QQ. would not lin with TX. When I tried to bind with a bind plug I got the dim lights on the satellites.. did it several times.. started unplugging sats and it started to work,,, now can't get it to replicate the problem... its on a Turbine Jet and I am a bit puzzled, this has happened on a couple models.. Dennis
Old 02-09-2015, 09:26 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Not sure what your issue is but it usually turns out to be something simple. First on the PowerSafe rx's, are you using the 16g inputs for power? You cannot power the buss by plugging in a servo lead connector to one of the slots. Second is that it's REALLY easy on that rx to get the wrong slot for the bind plug. Third is that you do see bind plugs go bad occasionally, try another plug or at least verify continuity between the two pins.

First rule of trouble shooting these things is to make sure you have power and the bind plug working by looking for the rapidly flashing lights on all the satellites (and the main unit on those rx's which have an RF section which the PowerSafe does not), if that isn't happening something is wrong with your setup. Also, despite what the manual says, that rx will not work with less than three satellites connected and one of them MUST be plugged into the "A" port.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:10 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

I have had the same thing happen on 3-4 planes this year. Both with my 9303 and with my dx-7. And no i didnt F something up. The planes simply would not link up and i had to rebind. The receivers exihibited the same thing.. They failed to enter bind mode until the power had been cycled a few times. Wonder if there is some degradation occurring on the receivers.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:08 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

No, the receivers are just fine. I still regularly fly some that are 7+ years old.

Andy
Old 02-23-2015, 03:57 PM
gofast53

I use to have a DX5e which exhibited the exact same problem including having numerous brown outs, everyone said the same thing that "I must be doing something wrong". I would bind transmitter to receiver and everything worked fine, but as soon as I powered receiver off followed by transmitter and then powered back up transmitter followed by receiver it had lost its bind. I borrowed a mates transmitter and everything worked fine but by that stage I'd had enough of Spektrum. I ended up binning the transmitter, selling off all my receivers and changing over to FrSky and have since never looked back! I suggest you either get your transmitter checked out or change over to another brand...no doubt this last comment will generate some anti!