Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futuba getting "left behind"

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 04:02 PM
dirtydobber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Futuba getting "left behind"

Is it just me or do others see Futuba getting "left behind" in the transmitter technology world? Now when you try to purchase electronic accessories associated with RC airplanes and helicopters allot of the manufactures are focusing on the Spectrum platforms. I've been a faithful Futuba user for 20 + years but have recently been considering abandoning the Futuba ship. I can't even log into the Futuba users forum.

Last edited by Bax; 02-13-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:31 PM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

YES they are not adapting FASSTest enough.

It is my hope Futaba gets on the ball with respect to telemetry. I was happy to see some limited compatibility now with PowerBox.

Currently FUTABA CUSTOMERS NEED ASAP!!!!

Telemetry modules for:
AIRspeed ( these $3000 TX's are actually used to fly AIRplanes occasionally.)
G meter
Fuel Flow for kerosene with a 4mm Festo in and out.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:09 PM
757Driver

More info here

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/futa...erbox-ect.html
Old 02-14-2015, 04:20 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes! How about telemetry alarms that can be "armed" before being enabled. Think about low airspeed on landing "armed" when the gear go up so the alarm is not going off while starting and taxiing. How about user-specified units so we don't need to read PSI as "Degrees C" with third party pressure sensors. How about using telemetry values or thresholds to actuate switches or vary PMIX amounts .. I have suggested all this and more to Futaba .. even asked the Team F guys where to submit.

So far not a peep .. and not only no new "interesting" features, the new update for the 18MZ has a bug that messes up the metric/english units conversions. Sigh...

I love the idea of the fuel flow .. I see Jeti has one now.

Please please please Futaba .. we do love your systems, and the RF link is rock-solid ..

Dave
Old 02-16-2015, 05:28 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the geek in me says yeah absolutely they are being left behind.

the person that goes out and flies planes though doesn't care. 3 radios with Telemetry, 3 brands, including Futaba. I find it interesting and neat, but not overly useful.

and my Futaba is still my favorite radio...
Old 02-16-2015, 04:26 PM
Pork Chop
My Feedback: (5)

I've felt that way for several years now and it's why I finally jumped ship, it was a tough choice after being a loyal user for years. Some of the reasons for me were:

1. No bind and fly
2. Nothing between the 14sg $600 and the 18mz $3000!
3. Cost, accessories are expensive compared to everyone else
4. Lack of compatibility

I'm not a Hitec user but the Flash radio is $175 with 4096 resolution and 7ms frame rate. Not a bad value!
Old 02-16-2015, 04:53 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

FrSky Taranis has it all for $200.00. Why play catch up with the turtle when you can run with the hare?
Old 02-16-2015, 06:51 PM
dirtydobber

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one. I'm about to order a new radio and I'm torn between the Graupner HOTT and the DX 9 by Spektrum. I've actually had my hands on the Graupner and it feels awesome. The Color touch screen LCD is large and simple. My only problem is that Tower (aka Hobbico) just picked them up and they could simply go the way of Futuba,
Spektrum is a reliable Spread Spectrum radio with many after marker accessories available for their platform.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:27 PM
757Driver

Originally Posted by dirtydobber
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one. I'm about to order a new radio and I'm torn between the Graupner HOTT and the DX 9 by Spektrum. I've actually had my hands on the Graupner and it feels awesome. The Color touch screen LCD is large and simple. My only problem is that Tower (aka Hobbico) just picked them up and they could simply go the way of Futuba,
Spektrum is a reliable Spread Spectrum radio with many after marker accessories available for their platform.
Have you looked at JETI?
Old 02-17-2015, 04:25 PM
csandt051196
My Feedback: (35)

Interesting. Do you think it's because RC is nor their primary income source? Futaba does much more than rc and I bet it is not a huge part of the bottom line. Of course jr does too, but intestinal you enough no one has bought them up yet.

Scott.
csandt051196

Interesting. Do you think it's because RC is nor their primary income source? Futaba does much more than rc and I bet it is not a huge part of the bottom line. Of course jr does too, but intestinal you enough no one has bought them up yet.

Scott.
csandt051196

Scott.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:18 PM
Pork Chop

Originally Posted by dirtydobber
Dirtydobber,

A friend fly's helicopters with a DX9 Black Edition radio and swears it's the best radio he's ever owned.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:38 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm a bit of a Futaba fan boy but sometimes I get extremely frustrated with the directions they take ..... or don't take. I really feel they have a take it or leave it attitude with radio control equipment and I don't believe they listen to their field people. A company that doesn't listen to its customer base is bound to fall behind in development where I believe Futaba is today. Look at sbus for example, they developed it as a concept but have never completely implemented it to its potential.

Now lets take a look at JR. Clearly they got behind in the development race and pretty much took a nap for several years. Now they have recommitted themselves to RC and are coming out with some pretty desirable products. As one example, their xbus or whatever they call it which is clearly copied from Futaba has a full line of accessories to support it, which Futaba doesn't yet match. They also offer powersafe receivers with built in bat share and soft switches. Futaba just poo-poos those ideas as unnecessary. I contend that if customers want it, its probably a good idea to develop and market it!

To Futaba's credit, their product line is usually stable for quite some time. If you buy a new transmitter today, it will probably stay in the product line for several years so you don't feel like your investment is orphaned quite so soon. On the other hand there is Spektrum who seems to bring out a replacement or updated model for existing products quite often. The DX18 being on something like its 3rd version now? You could never really call the Spektrum lineup a stable one as it seems to change quite often.

But even though I still like Futaba, I have to say, "Come on Futaba, get on the band wagon before your loyal following becomes not so loyal".
Old 02-20-2015, 08:37 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
The DX18 being on something like its 3rd version now? You could never really call the Spektrum lineup a stable one as it seems to change quite often.
Actually, not "third version" - they all have the same base hardware but the new G2 ones have an extra board to add new functionality (speech and wireless trainer). They are 100% inter-compatible, even down to the new DX6 and DX7 sharing files with the DX18G2.

I think the "version" you're thinking about isn't quite right. They are marketing, bling, type differences - different finish (chrome, smoked chrome, or black), different packaging (no case, dual stand-up case), etc. The same DX18 PCB that was used when it first came out is still in the latest DX18G2. The code is all compiled from the same source files for the entire family of radios, providing a level of compatibility not just for configuration files, but also for the user experience.

The DX6i has been out for 8 or so years and is still being manufactured, the DX7s/DX8 for about 5 years but were just obsoleted as the new family (DX18 compatible) has really taken hold, the DX18 for about 4 years, and so on with the DX9, DX6, DX7.

Yes, you're right, the Spektrum line isn't stagnant. It's dynamic, growing, adding functionality and value across the board!

Andy
Old 02-20-2015, 10:40 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Actually, not "third version" - they all have the same base hardware but the new G2 ones have an extra board to add new functionality (speech and wireless trainer). They are 100% inter-compatible, even down to the new DX6 and DX7 sharing files with the DX18G2.

I think the "version" you're thinking about isn't quite right. They are marketing, bling, type differences - different finish (chrome, smoked chrome, or black), different packaging (no case, dual stand-up case), etc. The same DX18 PCB that was used when it first came out is still in the latest DX18G2. The code is all compiled from the same source files for the entire family of radios, providing a level of compatibility not just for configuration files, but also for the user experience.

The DX6i has been out for 8 or so years and is still being manufactured, the DX7s/DX8 for about 5 years but were just obsoleted as the new family (DX18 compatible) has really taken hold, the DX18 for about 4 years, and so on with the DX9, DX6, DX7.

Yes, you're right, the Spektrum line isn't stagnant. It's dynamic, growing, adding functionality and value across the board!

Andy
Andy, good info! Even though the base radio stays pretty much the same, for many of the "bling" crowd, that different case pretty much means it is a different radio though. I've heard Spektrum owners complain about their new radio "now" being outdated because they just came out with the next model even though it might just be a cosmetic or other marketing change. Some people just get upset when the radio they just bought doesn't look like the new one in the hobby shop counter even though that is just the byproduct of progress.

All that aside, the subject is Futaba and I still say they need to get off their collective A** or they will be left behind. It just torques me off they don't offer some kind of power safe or whatever they might choose to call it receiver. How about some high current cabling for Sbus?
Old 02-20-2015, 12:12 PM
757Driver

Powerbox Royal SRS +Futaba SBUS with sbus2 takes care of redundant power with high current capability. Futaba doesn't provide for short protection on the sbus but PowerBox provides this with their powerBus. When combined its a great setup. Biggest issue is that Futaba doesn't have enough sensors. At a minimum you would think an AIRSPEED SENSOR would be available for a system designed to be used in aircraft.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:04 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
Futaba will display a new radio T18SZ in May.
It exist in the real World so it is not a rumour, it has not been shown to the public yet (but it was probably close it was displayed in Germany at Nuremberg Toy Fair in Jan 2015 but it was not shown there as it was rumoured).
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=280

/Bo
Old 02-23-2015, 12:00 PM
Pork Chop

Does anyone have insight as to why Futaba doesn't offer a radio between the 14sg and the 18mz? It is such a huge jump in the radio's and the cost!
Old 02-23-2015, 02:12 PM
bem

Park Chop,

Futaba will offer that with 18SZ. Just wait and see in May. 18SZ will be rather much cheaper then 18MZ. Just read in the link I posted above.

/Bo
Old 02-23-2015, 02:59 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I personally disagree with just about everything in this thread, and I don't even fly Futaba. I looked long and hard at Futaba when I recently changed radio manufacturer brands. I chose a different brand due to feel and programming language, just personal preference really.

There are telemetry and other accessories sold under the Robbe name (Futaba parent company) that are supported by Futaba.

The reason there is nothing between the $600 and $X000 radio is because the $600 radio has most things anyone needs who don't want to spend $X000, and the cost of higher end radios has been falling recently (they could charge $800 for that radio if they wanted to).

It's funny that there is a pro-JR comment (which I basically agree with) since there are lots and lots of pre-JR users that jumped ship after their recent changes.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by Jetdesign
I

There are telemetry and other accessories sold under the Robbe name (Futaba parent company) that are supported by Futaba.

Since when did Robbe become Futaba's "parent" company? Or, are you saying that Futaba is Robbe's parent company?
Old 02-23-2015, 04:46 PM
nonstoprc

Originally Posted by bem
Park Chop,

Futaba will offer that with 18SZ. Just wait and see in May. 18SZ will be rather much cheaper then 18MZ. Just read in the link I posted above.

/Bo
Great info! Hopefully Futaba offers flight conditions with 18SZ in airplane mode.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:52 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Since when did Robbe become Futaba's "parent" company? Or, are you saying that Futaba is Robbe's parent company?
Sorry, I don't know which it is - I just meant to say that one can be used with the other, so there are more options than one might think at first.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:55 AM
bem

Originally Posted by nonstoprc
Great info! Hopefully Futaba offers flight conditions with 18SZ in airplane mode.
If 18SZ, that is a hand held radio, is based on the tray radio Futaba/Robbe FX-32 software (most likely) it will have conditions in airplane mode also since FX-32 (=18 ch) has 8 conditions (named flight phases in the manual for FX-32) in airplane mode, and 8 conditions for heli and 8 för sailplane.

/Bo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.