Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futuba getting "left behind"

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 05:17 AM
toolmaker7341

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer
Toolmaker

One other thing, if you purchased the radio from Aloft Hobbies I'm sure they will be happy to help you get everything working. If you didn't buy from them, support may be more difficult and probably available only from message boards, youtube or from fellow Taranis owners.
I did purchase for Aloft and the links to software didn't work also I got a link on the message board for software that didn't work ether this was about a year and a half ago so its been in the corner since then.

PS I'm a computer dummy and have little patience for software that doesn't work when installed. My computer is a Dell with an i5 chip & windows 7
Old 03-11-2015, 05:50 AM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

just look at the ROBBE website..... stuff is coming!
Old 03-11-2015, 06:42 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toolmaker7341
I did purchase for Aloft and the links to software didn't work also I got a link on the message board for software that didn't work ether this was about a year and a half ago so its been in the corner since then.

PS I'm a computer dummy and have little patience for software that doesn't work when installed. My computer is a Dell with an i5 chip & windows 7
================================================== ================================================== ================

Toolmaker,
I and two flying friends all bought the Taranis about 9 months ago. We all programed for a basic 4channel on the transmitter and flew for a couple of months with no problems. Then all three decided to upgrade the firmware. My upgrade went smooth, the other two had problems. We found out they could not do the upgrade on their Dell computers, some incompatibility with the Dell USB port. They then used a clone computer and upgrade was successful.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:35 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Radios today are like computers were when I got started in the 80,s Everyone had there own proprietary hardware and software. As soon as IBM released the PC to open source the cost of computers dropped like a rock. FrSky just did the same with their Taranus. The hardware was bought from JR, that's why it looks identical to a 9303. Same hardware, same quality. What is different is the solid state receivers and the open source software. They cut the cost of the hardware and the software is free to download which takes away the cost of development. All this equals much lower price. I have been flying the FrSky modules in my Futaba radio and their DIY set up in my Airtronics radios and they have been rock solid. One of my friends has had the Taranis since last year and is very satisfied with it, He reprogrammed it with open TX software which is a form of the original software that is free and gives more options. I have been using the telemetry modules and I will agree that you really don't need them but they are nice. What is really nice is to be able to buy 16 channel receivers for 1/5th the price of futabas. I know that many modelers equate cost with quality. I've been in the computer business since 1991 and saw the cost go down and the quality go up so the FrSky radios seem like a real bargain. I think you will see a major shift in the radio market once modelers overcome their distrust. Futaba, JR etc are going to get caught out if they continue with the old sales model.
Larry
Old 03-11-2015, 08:35 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It seems as though Toolmaker's computer won't even load the Taranis Companion software much less connect to his transmitter.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:44 AM
Rick Clouse
My Feedback: (1)

I fly very simple airplanes using a six or seven channel Futaba radio for the last fifteen years.
And I can say I have never lost a plane due to radio problems.That does not mean I have never
crashed a plane, me an my dum thumbs have had our share of problems. But not with a Futaba
radio, but I can't say the same for my flying buddys that buy JR or Spektrum radios.I in the past
several have had to send there raidos in for service , updates , an other problems.

Rick from Orange ,TX.
believe in K.I.S.S.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:50 AM
toolmaker7341

It seems as though Toolmaker's computer won't even load the Taranis Companion software much less connect to his transmitter.
I loads but won't communicate with the transmitter.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:02 AM
Rob2160

Are you powering up your Taranis in bootloader mode first? (using 3 fingers - aileron and rudder trims held inwards while powering up)

You should see this on the display before connecting to the PC.

What firmware version is in your Taranis? Here is how to check.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0352.JPG.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	636.1 KB
ID:	2080663  

Last edited by Rob2160; 03-11-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:42 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have no problems with the rate at which Futaba develops it's technology... I've been flying Futaba since I was just a kid, so they have been making RC radios and accessories for literally decades... I still have my first radio from them, narrow band AM, tan with the black side panels... it still works, and that is why I have stayed with Futaba all these years, the quality of components and the reliability... now if that changes, then I may seek something else, but they have been a reputable company up to this point and don't think anything will change regarding their R&D and manufacturing QC processes.

The next release from Futaba everyone will be drooling over it... then JR will release something innovative, then Spektrum, and so on, and the spot light will shift ... its been that way ever since the word competition was defined... my biggest concern is protecting my investments, and if that means I have to wait a bit longer for some newfangled bells and whistles, then I am happy to wait.... don't get me wrong I'm not a Futaba loyalist, I have some JR, Hitech, stuff... but I particularly like Futaba's 2.4 gig technology... everyone has different needs; you go with what you like and what you feel is right for your needs... it all works out in the end.

John M,
Old 03-11-2015, 09:44 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Originally Posted by mattnew
the geek in me says yeah absolutely they are being left behind.

the person that goes out and flies planes though doesn't care. 3 radios with Telemetry, 3 brands, including Futaba. I find it interesting and neat, but not overly useful.

and my Futaba is still my favorite radio...
I totally agree with Mattnew, many of these guys sound like a bunch of whiney old ladies, they want the radio to do everything for them, maybe they should build a robot that will fly for them
Old 03-11-2015, 10:13 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by airega1
...they want the radio to do everything for them, maybe they should build a robot that will fly for them
Spektrum DX256. Google it (Seriously, google it!)

Andy
Old 03-11-2015, 10:49 AM
049flyer

It's easy to assume that features like telemetry are not worth much, especially if your current system lacks them. Kind of like "Why would anyone need a computer for the home". However once you have these things you wonder why you"Did Without" for so long.

Consider this example; You are flying a new airplane and mid way into the flight your radio announces in a clear voice "battery voltage low" or "battery voltage critical". Another example; You are flying your glider at the limit of visual sight and your radio announces "signal strength low"; or how about you are taking off your multi engine B25 warbird and your radio announces "port engine fail!" Maybe then you will see value in such technology.

Think about a range check, you put the radio in range check mode and pace off your required distance, with telemetry you can read at the transmitter the quality of the signal received by your receiver as well as watch the elevator wiggle with your stick.

I have a switch on my Taranis set for a flight status report, cycle the switch and the radio announces my receiver battery in volts, the signal strength as received by the receiver, and for my gliders, rate of climb or descent and altitude, all in plain english from a stock sound file or one I RECORDED myself! At about $20 each for additional sensors any other data point could easily be added, from engine RPM, motor battery voltage, altitude (we all want to stay below 400 feet , right?) fuel level or airspeed.

Pretty cool stuff.

Why don't all radios have this? Some manufacturers are willing to provide these features at $200 and some at $1000 or more. The question is why the difference?
Old 03-11-2015, 12:22 PM
mackeyjones

Why don't all radios have this? Some manufacturers are willing to provide these features at $200 and some at $1000 or more. The question is why the difference?
Quality...Reliability...If I pick up a $200 transmitter and it acts like a $200 transmitter it probably is a $200 transmitter. The way just simple things work like gimbals, trim buttons and switches work and feel, There is a difference. When I pick up a Futaba, or JR Transmitter and compare it to one of the cheaper radios the feel is totally different, the way buttons and switches trims and gimbals work and move is different. When it comes down to it, flying model airplanes has inherent risks, and each one of us should be trying to reduce them as much as possible. If I am flying a plane that goes off the air because I bought a cheap radio, and ends up damaging someones property or worse, injuring someone not only has that cheap radio suddenly become more expensive, there can be life long effects. It doesnt matter if your talking about a foamy, or a turbine powered plane, they can both do a lot of damage if they hit something or someone.

Last edited by mackeyjones; 03-11-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:33 PM
sidgates

================================================== ====================================
That is the problem my 2 friends had using their Dell. The drivers for the USB port did not work. I have read other reports of problem using Dell to load the USB drivers.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:44 PM
sidgates

Originally Posted by mackeyjones
Quality...Reliability...If I pick up a $200 transmitter and it acts like a $200 transmitter it probably is a $200 transmitter. The way just simple things work like gimbals, trim buttons and switches work and feel, There is a difference. When I pick up a Futaba, or JR Transmitter and compare it to one of the cheaper radios the feel is totally different, the way buttons and switches trims and gimbals work and move is different. When it comes down to it, flying model airplanes has inherent risks, and each one of us should be trying to reduce them as much as possible. If I am flying a plane that goes off the air because I bought a cheap radio, and ends up damaging someones property or worse, injuring someone not only has that cheap radio suddenly become more expensive, there can be life long effects. It doesnt matter if your talking about a foamy, or a turbine powered plane, they can both do a lot of damage if they hit something or someone.
================================================== ================================================== ================
When I got the Taranis the only thing I found that bothered me was the soft gimbal feel at center. I and my two flying friends agreeded on the feel problem so we hand made metal centering arms (about $1.50 of material). Now we have a very crisp feel at center nearly as good as a full metal gimbal. Aloft now offers the metal centering arms as an after market item.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:09 PM
flyhighjoe

I've been using Spektrum radios/receivers for about 7 years and like them alot. Bought me a DX 18 gen2 have not used it yet only to do program my airplanes and helis. Get a spektrum radio i think you will really like it
Old 03-11-2015, 01:23 PM
mattnew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, they are predicting ~$500 when openTx gets released with quality hardware in the Horus... I think that is a better comparison when you are looking at the rest of these radios.... for example the $500 14sg is 2 years old... if they were to refresh it how would the new one compare to the Horus?
Old 03-11-2015, 02:50 PM
049flyer

I have been modeling for well over 40 years, started with an Ace Digital Commander which I built from a kit, then a used Orbit, then a Kraft and after that a mixture of Airtronics, Futaba and more recently a pair of Ace Micropro radios. Interesting to note that the MicroPro was the grand daddy of ALL computer radios and had features in 1985 that the traditional manufacturers are now proclaiming to be something new. It's software was upgradeable and is still being upgraded today.

So as a long time modeler and being somewhat of an electronics hobbyist, I think I can fairly judge quality when I see it (at least for myself). For one thing I doubt any of todays radios would match the quality, reliability and longevity of the Ace Micropro radios, they are now 30 years old and still being used daily, many utilizing 2.4ghz FrSky DIY modules. That being said I recognize that the Taranis is NOT PRO LEVEL equipment nor was it intended to be.

I judge it's overall quality to be on par with other radios from traditional manufacturers at similar price points. To compare it to Pro level equipment does incredible credit to Taranis and not so much for the Pro Level stuff. It is, as I have said before an incredible sport level radio at an amazing price given it's feature set and competitive build quality (at the $200 level).

The point is that the traditional manufacturers have for years used different levels of programming capability to justify the price levels of various radios they offer. Pay more money get more capability and maybe a better switch and at some point maybe a better gimbal. In other words for $500 more you get better programming and another $20 worth of hardware improvements. It is this aspect of Taranis that makes it DISRUPTIVE in the industry in the same way, but not as earth shattering, as the advent of 2.4 by Spektrum several years ago. No longer will the traditional manufacturers be able to rely on the software alone to justify high prices. They will have to compete on software, hardware and PRICE to stay competitive. In stock market parlance their moat has shrunk.

Radio systems are reaching the point of being comoditized. Similar to milk, if the consummer can't tell the difference between a $3.00 gallon of milk and a $5.00 gallon then he will usually buy the cheaper one. We went through this with brushless motors, lipo batteries, servos and now transmitters.

The OP asked if Futaba is being left behind. I submit that at the $200 price point they may be.

Last edited by 049flyer; 03-11-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:58 PM
jetmaven

Futaba is a Japan based corporation specializing in state of the art electronics . Look it up .Theyre listed on the Nikkei stock exchange . R/C is a sideline .
Never a failure in decades .
I can't seem to find any similar credentials for the rest , but you can find a camo face plate for a Taranis .
Seriously rediculous .
Old 03-11-2015, 02:59 PM
049flyer

One other interesting point. FrSky and Aloft Hobbies are supposed to be developing a single stick version of the Taranis. Would probably be a hit with the heli crowd and some of the old timers pining for a new single stick radio. Think the big boys will follow along or ignore their lead?
Old 03-11-2015, 03:48 PM
mattnew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been modeling for well over 40 years, started with an Ace Digital Commander which I built from a kit, then a used Orbit, then a Kraft and after that a mixture of Airtronics, Futaba and more recently a pair of Ace Micropro radios. Interesting to note that the MicroPro was the grand daddy of ALL computer radios and had features in 1985 that the traditional manufacturers are now proclaiming to be something new. It's software was upgradeable and is still being upgraded today.

So as a long time modeler and being somewhat of an electronics hobbyist, I think I can fairly judge quality when I see it (at least for myself). For one thing I doubt any of todays radios would match the quality, reliability and longevity of the Ace Micropro radios, they are now 30 years old and still being used daily, many utilizing 2.4ghz FrSky DIY modules. That being said I recognize that the Taranis is NOT PRO LEVEL equipment nor was it intended to be.

I judge it's overall quality to be on par with other radios from traditional manufacturers at similar price points. To compare it to Pro level equipment does incredible credit to Taranis and not so much for the Pro Level stuff. It is, as I have said before an incredible sport level radio at an amazing price given it's feature set and competitive build quality (at the $200 level).

The point is that the traditional manufacturers have for years used different levels of programming capability to justify the price levels of various radios they offer. Pay more money get more capability and maybe a better switch and at some point maybe a better gimbal. In other words for $500 more you get better programming and another $20 worth of hardware improvements. It is this aspect of Taranis that makes it DISRUPTIVE in the industry in the same way, but not as earth shattering, as the advent of 2.4 by Spektrum several years ago. No longer will the traditional manufacturers be able to rely on the software alone to justify high prices. They will have to compete on software, hardware and PRICE to stay competitive. In stock market parlance their moat has shrunk.

Radio systems are reaching the point of being comoditized. Similar to milk, if the consummer can't tell the difference between a $3.00 gallon of milk and a $5.00 gallon then he will usually buy the cheaper one. We went through this with brushless motors, lipo batteries, servos and now transmitters.

The OP asked if Futaba is being left behind. I submit that at the $200 price point they may be.

you might just be my older twin......

This is currently one of my favorite radios. The auto-trim feature is probably the coolest feature ever....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20141209_173719.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	2080732   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141209_173531.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	2080734  
Old 03-11-2015, 04:11 PM
jetmaven

Well stated Mattnew, in my view ,as the great Frank Llioyd Wright would have said " form follows function " .
The toy grade crap shows up at my field , the results are ultimately found , eventually , in the ponds and sewage treatment ponds .
The unfortunate part is that the aspiring newbies disappear along with their equipment .
Old 03-11-2015, 04:24 PM
049flyer

Mattnew

I have a friend with a new Spektrum radio. He just told me about this awesome feature called auto trim. The MicroPro had it 30 years ago. What do you say?

Actually he is a former MicroPro user so is well versed with auto trim. We both scratched our heads trying to figure out why it took 30 years for the feature to re-appear.

Last edited by 049flyer; 03-11-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:25 PM
049flyer

Originally Posted by mattnew
you might just be my older twin......

This is currently one of my favorite radios. The auto-trim feature is probably the coolest feature ever....

Mattnew

Great pics of awesome RC equipment! Looks like you converted them to 2.4 ghz. FrSky DIY Module?

The sticks on the Ace MicroPro are widely regarded as being the best gimbals ever placed into any RC transmitter, ever! I believe the single stick gimbal is the famous Chidgey stick. Doesn't get any better as far as hardware is concerned. I doubt we will ever see such quality equipment manufactured again.

IF an RC manufacturer would build a radio with hardware on par with the MicroPro and software on par with the Taranis I would pay dearly indeed. I would never have to buy a radio again for the rest of my days!

The MicroPro may be part of my radio problem! Next to the MicroPro everything else is sport level equipment. Might as well buy a Taranis!

Last edited by 049flyer; 03-11-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:29 PM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by sidgates
================================================== ====================================
That is the problem my 2 friends had using their Dell. The drivers for the USB port did not work. I have read other reports of problem using Dell to load the USB drivers.
Maybe I should but a cheap laptop (no touch screens) for my radio programing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.