Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FRSky Taranis Beginners Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 02:09 AM
Jim.Thompson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The screenshot above pertains to post #174
Old 11-19-2019, 02:29 AM
Jim.Thompson

I managed to update my SD card by removing it and using a card reader to transfer the updated file.
Now my Taranis X9D Plus tx. gives me a SD card warning requesting the earlier version of the SD card contents!
Meanwhile, the simulator in Companion still does not work.
What to do?
Old 11-19-2019, 09:33 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

A mismatch in your OpenTX versions and/or the SD files? In Companion, go to "Help" and "About" to find out what version it is. On your TX, go into the bootloader (hold the two trim levers, and power on), and verify the version there, listed on the bottom of the screen.
Companion uses the "SD card" files that are stored somewhere on your computer. (In Companion, got to "Settings", then "Settings" again. Look for the entry for "SD Structure Path" for where the files are on your computer).
The TX, of course, uses the files that are on the actual SD card.
TX and Companion should be on the same version. And the two locations for the SD card files should each have the files for that same version.

A few like to change the "SD Structure Path" to go directly to the SD card in the transmitter, in order to only have one location to keep track of the files. But that means you have to hitch up the transmitter to the computer if you want to have full function in Companion. It is kind of a pain to update two locations when changing version software for OpenTX. There is a "synch" function in Companion to coordinate changes from the files on the computer to the files on the SD card....but I tend not to trust processes like that - too easy to do it wrong, and overwrite/loose files, so I don't use it very often.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:09 PM
Jim.Thompson

Originally Posted by tedsander
A mismatch in your OpenTX versions and/or the SD files? In Companion, go to "Help" and "About" to find out what version it is. On your TX, go into the bootloader (hold the two trim levers, and power on), and verify the version there, listed on the bottom of the screen.
Companion uses the "SD card" files that are stored somewhere on your computer. (In Companion, got to "Settings", then "Settings" again. Look for the entry for "SD Structure Path" for where the files are on your computer).
The TX, of course, uses the files that are on the actual SD card.
TX and Companion should be on the same version. And the two locations for the SD card files should each have the files for that same version...................
Ok, I understand that; thanks Ted.

A few like to change the "SD Structure Path" to go directly to the SD card in the transmitter, in order to only have one location to keep track of the files. But that means you have to hitch up the transmitter to the computer if you want to have full function in Companion. It is kind of a pain to update two locations when changing version software for OpenTX. There is a "synch" function in Companion to coordinate changes from the files on the computer to the files on the SD card....but I tend not to trust processes like that - too easy to do it wrong, and overwrite/loose files, so I don't use it very often.
Although, I don't yet understand this. Leave it with me for a while, and I will come back to it later. I might get it then.

Jim.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:43 PM
Jim.Thompson

Ted,
Yes, I do have different OpenTx versions between the tx. and my loaded Companion. You guessed in straight away from the little information I provided you with.

Question:
Before I hurry off and update anything, I need to know what is the best version to load into both.
Can you advise please?

Jim.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:02 PM
tedsander

Easy to guess at the solution, when one has done exactly the same thing to himself!

I'm running 2.2.4, and found it to be very bug free for my relatively simple uses. If you are just using various flavors of the X9D (Taranis), then 2.3.2 appears to be fine, but the Horus and Jumper guys seem to have uncovered some bugs. So the OpenTX team has been scrambling to put out revised versions. I considered moving up just today, but I think I'll wait until the new year before making the leap. Here's the thread with all the gory details about it all: Official-OpenTX-version-2-3-Discussion-Thread
Old 11-20-2019, 01:07 AM
Jim.Thompson

...................... Here's the thread with all the gory details about it all: Official-OpenTX-version-2-3-Discussion-Thread
Thanks for the link Ted.
However, with some 51 pages and still going, do you consider it necessary for me to read the entire thread?
I do hope that is not necessary.

Jim.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:35 AM
tedsander

Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
Thanks for the link Ted.
However, with some 51 pages and still going, do you consider it necessary for me to read the entire thread?
I do hope that is not necessary.

Jim.
Only if you are really bored, and want to read about some of the snafu's of FrSky's attempt to roll out their new ACCESS protocol, and their problems with trying to provide hardware updates for slightly older Horus transmitters!
As I noted, it looks like everything is good to go for Taranis and people using the ACCST protocol. Since I don't usually update every time there is a minor release, and they have been coming pretty quickly as of late, I'm just going to wait a bit until it all settles down. There are some nicer new features in 2.3.x, but nothing "gotta have right away".

What I really want - for them to fix the problems with cross trims! That has been know for a number of years. I have the elevator use the throttle trim, the aileron use the rudder trim, etc. That way I don't have to take my hand off the ele/ail stick to get at the ail/ele trim levers. But this means their "throttle trim idle only" checkbox doesn't work correctly, nor does the "instant trim" feature. There are other ways to make the radio do the same functions, but that means additional programming, which is a bit of an inconvenience when setting up a new model. They've promised fixes for every major release since 2.0, but it always gets pushed to the next version.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:22 PM
Jim.Thompson

Default Decision made!

I'm running 2.2.4, and found it to be very bug free for my relatively simple uses. ..........................
Ted,
If that is good enough for you, then I will do the same.
Why prevaricate and agonise over some minor (unnecessary) complication or other, especially when most of it will never apply to me?
Besides, I have long since concluded that I will never keep up with all the latest OpenTx variations and intricacies; I already have a life.

Once again, many thanks for your patient assistance.

Jim.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:28 PM
tedsander

I agree fully. I had considered getting a Horus 10S-E (the latest and greatest), which led me down the rabbit hole of that thread. Sounds like a new Horus TX is in the works, anyway. My current Taranii are already much more capable than I will ever need, so no real reason to jump to the bleeding edge of the technology.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:24 AM
MMcfarland

Hi everyone! Here is another question from a Noob. I just bought a X9D + SE 2019. Found that it does not support the multiprotical module. So I tried to upgrade the firmware using companion I tried 2.3.2 and I get an error (the current firmware is not compatible with new firmware) and the upload to the xmitter aborts. any ideas?? I have posted this over on r/c groups, but thought that posting on this beginners thread might be better.

thanks Mike,
Old 11-28-2019, 10:16 PM
scott page

Originally Posted by MMcfarland
Hi everyone! Here is another question from a Noob. I just bought a X9D + SE 2019. Found that it does not support the multiprotical module. So I tried to upgrade the firmware using companion I tried 2.3.2 and I get an error (the current firmware is not compatible with new firmware) and the upload to the xmitter aborts. any ideas?? I have posted this over on r/c groups, but thought that posting on this beginners thread might be better.

thanks Mike,
I had the same issue with mine... concerned me for a moment... but...
The new firmware (2.3.2) is a product of OpenTX developers while the firmware that FrSky ships on the Tx is a FrSky mangled version of OpenTX. So -- you'll get that message the first time -- ignore it and press through -- making sure you've downloaded the Correct version for the Taranis .... 2019 version.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:57 AM
Jim.Thompson

Talking "Press through"?

Originally Posted by scott page
...................... -- ignore it and press through -- .....................
Thanks for the assurance Scott.
But...........how to you just "press through" this error notice?
Apologies for the obtuse beginners question.

(But hey, this is a beginners forum, is it not?.......)

Jim.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:18 PM
MMcfarland

Jim I had that problem. There is a check box on the screen in companion where you are ready upload the firmware to the xmitter. It says something like check firmware for compatibility. uncheck that box and the new firmware should go ahead and load.
Mike,
Old 11-29-2019, 08:03 PM
Jim.Thompson

Talking

Jim I had that problem. There is a check box on the screen in companion where you are ready upload the firmware to the xmitter. It says something like check firmware for compatibility. uncheck that box and the new firmware should go ahead and load.
Mike,
Thanks Mike. That explains it.
And I celebrate the fact that I can ask such simple questions on this thread without being reprimanded for not reading post # xxxx in a thread 1575 pages long, or more!
The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter!
Happy days......................
Old 12-01-2019, 07:54 AM
MMcfarland

I have a question. If I wish to go back to an earlier version of the firmware (2.2.4) where do I find the bin to upload the the xmitter?

Thanks Mike,
Old 12-01-2019, 12:37 PM
scott page

I have a question. If I wish to go back to an earlier version of the firmware (2.2.4) where do I find the bin to upload the the xmitter?

Thanks Mike,
Download the 2.2.4 version of OpenTX Companion @ http://www.open-tx.org/2019/07/11/opentx-2.2.4 and install on the computer. This will allow you to set your preferred settings and then downlod 2.2.4 firmware. You do not need to remove 2.3.x Companion from your computer - both can be installed into separate folders.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:50 AM
MMcfarland

Another question, I am guessing unless you are in to IMAC or pattern this probably isn't something you worry about. I am trying to mix out some of the rudder coupling in my test plane. how do I mix in up elevator with both right rudder and left rudder?

Thanks Mike,

Old 12-05-2019, 09:49 AM
scott page

Another question, I am guessing unless you are in to IMAC or pattern this probably isn't something you worry about. I am trying to mix out some of the rudder coupling in my test plane. how do I mix in up elevator with both right rudder and left rudder?

Thanks Mike,
First the concept-- when you move the rudder in either direction you want the elevator to move in the negative direction (up).
To do this you create two new input lines. One with rudder input for the positive direction (right) and one for rudder input for negative direction (left). Then in the ELE mixes you add these two lines and set their weight (throw). So when RUD stick is move the ELE surface will respond. However you need to set one of the lines to a negative weight (throw) to get the effect you're looking for.
In the example below I have the amount of ELE surface movement from RUD stick greatly exaggerated so you can see the effect.

This is only one way to execute this in OpenTX. You could also use a curve shaped like a chevron, or certainly other ways. Also - if you wanted you could set the amount of throw the RUD imparts to the ELE on a pot or slider. To level things up even more it's possible to have the value of the pot or slider read aloud after moving the pot or slider. This is very useful for in the air experimenting. Of course you can also set a switch to have three different rates to move the ELE surface based on RUD stick movement and also expo for the same.

Old 12-05-2019, 03:19 PM
MMcfarland

Thanks Scott that worked. Now I am on to really drive myself nuts I going to try setting up heli with a VBAR. Should be good for a laugh or two.

Mike,

Old 12-23-2019, 11:36 AM
FlyboyTJ

Default SD Card Warning

I get a SD card warning and a message to press any key. What will it hurt to use my X9D+ like this?
Old 12-23-2019, 11:05 PM
scott page

Originally Posted by FlyboyTJ
I get a SD card warning and a message to press any key. What will it hurt to use my X9D+ like this?
It will not harm your transmitter and is not dangerous to use the transmitter. In fact - you can use the transmitter without the SD card at all on a Taranis. The message is an indicator that the version of OpenTX is not in sync with the version of SD card you have. As OpenTX matures there are incremental changes such as addition of new system sounds - new LUA scripts etc - that are added to the SD card image. The message is to alert users that the card is not in sync. Having an older version card may result in something happening like rather than getting a low battery warning you might get a different sound entirely - as many of the system sounds correspond to a number. As time goes by some sounds may be dropped and other added -- into the same number slot. The biggest changes occur with major version changes - but the thing about OpenTx is that it's always maturing and getting better. A person can stay on a specific version forever and be fine - but updating allows new features to be realized on existing hardware -- however when doing an update one really should update 1. OpenTX Companion. 2.the OpenTX firmware on the Tx 3. the SD card and 4. the bootloader. This is the best practice -- keeping all of these components in sync. Probably nobody does this every time -- but at least keep the firmware and SD card in sync.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:24 AM
FlyboyTJ

Thanks Scott for the wonderful explanation. I figured if it only took a button press to get past the warning that it wasn't going to be a fatal error if ignored.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:10 AM
tedsander

Originally Posted by FlyboyTJ
Thanks Scott for the wonderful explanation. I figured if it only took a button press to get past the warning that it wasn't going to be a fatal error if ignored.
As Scott noted, likely the worst that will happen is that things that use the files on the card may not work, or may not work as expected. So sounds may not play (or be wrong), and if badly out of "sync" the wizard that sets up a base model may not run (ditto for other lua scripts, which are pretty advanced uses that many never use...).
I could envision a situation where a badly corrupted file could cause the system to "hang", but have not ever heard of that happening in the years I have used OpenTX.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:38 AM
Jim.Thompson

Default Wrong question on my part!

I see over on RCGroups you noted that it worked! Have you done the other test - downloading to your transmitter a revised file?
Ted,
I only now realise I have not been asking the right question about saving a single file.
Yes, I have been able to understand the description you have provided and repeated all you have explained.
However, that is for saving a new single file.
What I have in front of me now is the need to save an existing file of a well developed model set up in order to subsequently post a .otx file of it.
This is for follow up after a question I asked here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hread/page2278

I am unable to isolate the tug plane file from the list of model set ups in my Companion and so cannot post the .otx file of it as Mike requested.

Can you help please?

Edit:
Please ignore this; I think I may have worked it out. Time will tell. I await the feedback ( or backlash?) over on the other thread if I have it wrong!

Jim.

Last edited by Jim.Thompson; 01-05-2020 at 01:59 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.