Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FrSky non-telemetry verses the telemetry systems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 04:29 AM
sea157
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FrSky non-telemetry verses the telemetry systems?

What is the advantage or disadvantage of the FrSky non-telemetry verses the telemetry systems?
I am confused by the 2 systems and would like to know which one would be the best for me.

I will be fly both glow and gas airplanes from a 40 size to a giant scale size.
I need to buy 2 more receivers and would like to know which one would be better for me, non-telemetry or telemetry system?
Old 03-21-2015, 05:44 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It would be helpful if you could tell us a bit more about the exact items you are considering, transmitter, receiver, etc. Generally speaking either will work fine, telemetry is nice to have but not essential to fly the aircraft you are considering.

Here is a bit of info about telemetry:

Telemetry basically allows information to flow from the aircraft to your transmitter as well as the usual flow from your transmitter to the aircraft. Telemetry adds an additional transmitter in your RECEIVER and a receiver in your TRANSMITTER. The system will transmit data from your airplane back to your transmitter automatically while you are flying your plane.

FrSky telemetry receivers usually include a sensor to detect the actual voltage of the flight pack battery as you are flying which is transmitted back to your transmitter so you will always know the voltage of your receiver battery. In addition the telemetry receiver will also transmit back to you the actual strength of the signal received from your transmitter. This makes your pre-flight range check a snap as well as warning you of problems in flight with your antenna system or if you are approaching the maximum range of the system. Additional sensors for just about anything can be purchased to add to the information transmitted from the aircraft back to you. GPS position, airspeed, engine RPM, engine temperature, altitude and rate of climb are examples of what can be detected and relayed back to you as you are flying.

You will need a telemetry capable transmitter in order to receive and display the telemetry data. The FrSky Taranis is designed to work with telemetry and will even allow you to program it to announce the telemetry information out loud in english or almost any other language as you are flying.

Last edited by 049flyer; 03-21-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:03 AM
sea157

Originally Posted by 049flyer
It would be helpful if you could tell us a bit more about the exact items you are considering, transmitter, receiver, etc. Generally speaking either will work fine, telemetry is nice to have but not essential to fly the aircraft you are considering.

Here is a bit of info about telemetry:

Telemetry basically allows information to flow from the aircraft to your transmitter as well as the usual flow from your transmitter to the aircraft. Telemetry adds an additional transmitter in your RECEIVER and a receiver in your TRANSMITTER. The system will transmit data from your airplane back to your transmitter automatically while you are flying your plane.

FrSky telemetry receivers usually include a sensor to detect the actual voltage of the flight pack battery as you are flying which is transmitted back to your transmitter so you will always know the voltage of your receiver battery. In addition the telemetry receiver will also transmit back to you the actual strength of the signal received from your transmitter. This makes your pre-flight range check a snap as well as warning you of problems in flight with your antenna system or if you are approaching the maximum range of the system. Additional sensors for just about anything can be purchased to add to the information transmitted from the aircraft back to you. GPS position, airspeed, engine RPM, engine temperature, altitude and rate of climb are examples of what can be detected and relayed back to you as you are flying.

You will need a telemetry capable transmitter in order to receive and display the telemetry data. The FrSky Taranis is designed to work with telemetry and will even allow you to program it to announce the telemetry information out loud in english or almost any other language as you are flying.
I am using a Futaba 9Z radio that was converted to a 2.4 system with the FrSky DFT RF Module.
The new receivers I am considering are the:
FrSky V8FR-II HV 8 Channel High Voltage Receiver
Or the
FrSky D8R-II plus 8 Channel Receiver w/ telemetry
Old 03-21-2015, 06:10 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

the 9z does not have telemetry capability.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:12 AM
sea157

Originally Posted by Steve Percifield
the 9z does not have telemetry capability.

Ok then that answers my question.
Then I guess I will be going with the FrSky V8FR-II HV 8 Channel High Voltage Receiver

Thank you so much for your answer.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:12 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sea157
Ok then that answers my question.
Then I guess I will be going with the FrSky V8FR-II HV 8 Channel High Voltage Receiver

Thank you so much for your answer.
The DFT RF Module when used in the 9Z and also 9C like I'm using does provide telemetry. Without any programming of the DFT module you get low signal alarms when you use the D receivers. The alarm tone is emitted from the DFT module. If you buy the FrSky FLD-02 display then you can program the DFT to alert alarms on low voltage, etc. Or you can keep the FLD display attached to the DFT Modual when you are flying and add other telemetry sencors to the D reciver for airspeed, altitude, GPS etc. and it will display on the FLD. The FLD is only $22 and you can find it here http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...y-modules.html . Using the DFT, D receivers and the FLD, basically turns your 9Z into a telemetry radio system. Pretty neat stuff.

Last edited by 8178; 03-21-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:17 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the advantage or disadvantage of the FrSky non-telemetry verses the telemetry systems?
I am confused by the 2 systems and would like to know which one would be the best for me.

I will be fly both glow and gas airplanes from a 40 size to a giant scale size.
I need to buy 2 more receivers and would like to know which one would be better for me, non-telemetry or telemetry system?
================================================== ================================================== =====

An example of telemetry. The last time I went to fly my Shoestring I was taxing to the runway and my telemetry voice said "A1 Low" which is my receiver/servo battery. I went back to the pit and checked and both cells had failed. Later I determined I had left the switch on for about 4 weeks and had charged before the attempted flight but I had ruined the pack by running it below 2 volts per cell.

I have additional sensor in the Shoestring that gives me airspeed. I know from testing my slowest safe landing approach speed is 31kts and I usually touch down at 27knts.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:12 PM
sea157

Originally Posted by 8178
The DFT RF Module when used in the 9Z and also 9C like I'm using does provide telemetry. Without any programming of the DFT module you get low signal alarms when you use the D receivers. The alarm tone is emitted from the DFT module. If you buy the FrSky FLD-02 display then you can program the DFT to alert alarms on low voltage, etc. Or you can keep the FLD display attached to the DFT Modual when you are flying and add other telemetry sencors to the D reciver for airspeed, altitude, GPS etc. and it will display on the FLD. The FLD is only $22 and you can find it here http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...y-modules.html . Using the DFT, D receivers and the FLD, basically turns your 9Z into a telemetry radio system. Pretty neat stuff.

So you are telling me on my 9Z with the DFT Module if I get the FrSky D8R-II plus 8 Channel Receiver w/ telemetry, it will send an audible alarm from the DFT module when my receiver battery is getting low without buying any other devices?.
If that is the case I will call Aloft and change my order to the FrSky D8R-II plus 8 Channel Receiver w/ telemetry.

For the difference in price ($6.00) between the FrSky V8FR-II HV - 8 Channel Receiver and the the FrSky D8R-II plus 8 Channel Receiver w/ telemetry,. It would be worth extra money to have the peace of mind knowing if your receiver battery is getting low.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:50 PM

So you are telling me on my 9Z with the DFT Module if I get the FrSky D8R-II plus 8 Channel Receiver w/ telemetry, it will send an audible alarm from the DFT module when my receiver battery is getting low without buying any other devices?.
If that is the case I will call Aloft and change my order to the FrSky D8R-II plus 8 Channel Receiver w/ telemetry.

For the difference in price ($6.00) between the FrSky V8FR-II HV - 8 Channel Receiver and the the FrSky D8R-II plus 8 Channel Receiver w/ telemetry,. It would be worth extra money to have the peace of mind knowing if your receiver battery is getting low.
The receiver low signal alarm is set by default in the DFT for the D8R-II plus.

The low voltage alarm for the flight pack battery needs to be programed because they do not know what battery you might be using. To do the programming you need the $22 FDL-2 display http://www.alofthobbies.com/lcd-display.html It plugs into the DFT and is used for displaying real-time telemetry info and also programming alarm thresholds. The receiver can monitor internal voltage (set by default) or external voltage like for eclectic powered aircraft. The battery programming is easy and I can post a simple spreadsheet that shows how calculate the parameters.

For my Futaba 9C, I went with the DFT, D8R-II Plus receivers, and FDL-2. It is all very much worth the money!

Last edited by 8178; 03-21-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:20 PM

Here is how you calculate the low voltage parameter http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-r...l#post12007589
Old 03-21-2015, 04:46 PM
sea157

Thanks 8178,
[h=2]Looks like I will be calling Aloft on Monday and changing my order to the FrSky D8R-II plus 8 Channel Receiver w/ telemetry and also getting the FrSky FLD-02 - LCD Display[/h]
Old 03-21-2015, 05:24 PM

Thanks 8178,
Looks like I will be calling Aloft on Monday and changing my order to the FrSky D8R-II plus 8 Channel Receiver w/ telemetry and also getting the FrSky FLD-02 - LCD Display

The FrSky stuff from Aloft seems very good along with Wayne's excellent service. I think at this point I was able to upgrade my Futaba 9c to a FrSky telemetry system with two D8Rs for less than what a single Futaba R6008HS 8-Channel 2.4GHz FASST Receiver cost. It is getting to be a crazy world!