Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Long term radio for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:50 AM
erwabo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes its pretty awesome. I would like to take one of those X8R receivers and connect the ArdulMU v3 and a UBIox NEO-6M GPS and use that script but then also I would like to get an FrSky SP-FLVS a SP-40A and a Variometer. I THINK this will work cuz you can daisy chain devices from the Smart port and the ArduIMU doesnt use the smart port, I just dont want to risk communication drops with my plane. I read up on the OpenTX software and its basically a looping code that constantly pings the receivers and updates the data. It looks like they have a minor fail safe with the amount of scripts limited to 7 and if a script uses too much RAM, it will shut down the script. Just have to make sure that any scripts you build or upload dont have variables that would be tied to control surfaces. Just not sure how much telemetry data one receiver can support without losing any loop cycles. I imagine amps, voltage and variometer readings in conjuction with the single telemetry script would not cause any problems though. BUT...alas, I still need to get a needle point soldering gun to solder a connector to the ArdulMU, so we are still a ways off, but just thinking ahead. Heck I still need to buy a foamie that I can destroy with all my testing =) A week from tomorrow I will get my first training/flight time...so Im really excited about that, but equally excited about all this tech =)
Old 05-11-2015, 05:57 AM
erwabo

Does anyone who has a Taranis know if you can program maneuvers into it. That would be kinda fun for maneuvers you are still practicing but would still like to enjoy doing them on the field with a nice plane while you learn with a trainer or maybe a more expendable plane.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:16 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

You are tailor made for a Taranis and are going to have a whale of a time if you get yourself one, and yes I fly with a FrSky system.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:15 AM
erwabo

Perhaps so...but like all things custom, they are equal parts fun AND frustration until you get them figured out. Im sure telemetry in the way I want to do it will not be an easy setup and some things may not work based on the Modes...we will see. I don't even have the radio yet =)
Old 05-15-2015, 10:54 AM
erwabo

I think Im in love =) http://www.eagletreesystems.com/index.php
Old 05-18-2015, 06:21 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Aloft Hobbies has systems in stock again http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...nsmitters.html Most likely not for long though!
Old 05-20-2015, 07:44 AM
erwabo

I see that! I will be ordering one today =)
Old 05-20-2015, 08:34 AM
erwabo

Well My Taranis Plus (and improves speaker add on) and my 8XR receiver are on their way...cant WAIT to try them out =)
Old 05-20-2015, 09:56 AM
erwabo

I do have one question though...are receivers completely interchangeable with most servos? For instance...I bought an 8XR, if I buy a plane that has a DSM RX, if I just swap it with the 8XR, it should be fine right?
Old 05-20-2015, 10:05 AM
erwabo

I do have one question though...are receivers completely interchangeable with most servos? For instance...I bought an 8XR, if I buy a plane that has a DSM RX, if I just swap it with the 8XR, it should be fine right?
Old 05-20-2015, 11:07 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by erwabo
If the aircraft has a DSM RX with servos that plug in to it, then yes you can remove the DMS receiver and install the 8XR. The key is "if it has servos that have plugs on them".

Mike
Old 05-20-2015, 07:37 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well My Taranis Plus (and improves speaker add on) and my 8XR receiver are on their way...cant WAIT to try them out =)
Congratulations on your purchase and you will love this radio - current Open TX firmware is 2.017 - I suggest doing that update first.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:44 AM
erwabo

Yeah unfortunately I don't have a plane to fly it with yet. The 2 planes my wifes grandpa gave me are not quite flight worthy. The Tiger-60 needs some rework and the Art Chester Jeep needs a new motor. The muffler mount is cracked and its losing suction. Im going to buy a trainer today probably, but I want to make sure I can switch out the RX with the FrSKy one so I can use the new Radio.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:56 AM
erwabo

Just picked up this bad boy. http://www.flyzoneplanes.com/airplan...320/index.html Very nice plane...I was impressed. I wanted something with flaps and landing gear to really dial in Taranis beyond its stock settings and something to really enjoy once I hone my skills. Then I got this one so I can practice at home without having to go to the field http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HBZ4400.html So that gives me 2 electrics and 2 Gas to rebuild and my next one will be an actual build and probably a Gas Corsair with a spark plug...I have a dream LOL
Old 05-21-2015, 07:38 PM
erwabo

Wow...people LOVE those Spektrum Radios. Almost everyone at the club had one and one guy had a bright orange Spektrum shirt on. I probably WILL get the DSM module for the Taranis because a LOT of RC uses it. I think the actual Spektrum one is better since there is no delay time vs the orange module, but at $70.00 more, not sure its worth it.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:04 PM
Rob2160

Wow...people LOVE those Spektrum Radios. Almost everyone at the club had one and one guy had a bright orange Spektrum shirt on. I probably WILL get the DSM module for the Taranis because a LOT of RC uses it. I think the actual Spektrum one is better since there is no delay time vs the orange module, but at $70.00 more, not sure its worth it.
Keep in mind the genuine Spektrum module is only DSM2 compatible whereas the Orange version is DSMX and DSM2 compatible (DSMX is newer and more robust against interference)

I have several Spektrum radios and they have served me well but just gather dust now since buying a Taranis.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:12 AM
erwabo

So what do you personally like better about the Taranis over the Spektrum in terms of practical usage?
Old 05-22-2015, 05:40 AM
Rob2160

So what do you personally like better about the Taranis over the Spektrum in terms of practical usage?
Radios are something of a "hobby within the hobby" for me and I have several models of each brand. The Spektrum radios have been flawless and prior to the Taranis the DX7S was my most used radio.

It still works great.

The hardware in the Taranis is nothing special compared to any other radio - two sticks, decent ergonomics, switches and knobs in the right place.

What really sets it apart for me is the flexibility of programming. Open TX gives you a blank slate to write your own mixes in any combination you like - not only that but it has logical switches, custom sounds, custom variation of stick function.

The Spektrum radios (and my Futaba 14SG) have telemetry but I never really used it on those radios. I didn't need it and flying planes and helicopters I don't want to look at the screen regularly.

With the Taranis I have voice call outs of any telemetry value (Yes I know the new Spektrums can do that too and I almost bought a DX9 instead of the Taranis)

In simplest terms, its just a fun radio to learn and use. My current interest is Drones and the voice and telemetry options in the Taranis are well suited to flying these machines.

One example - I have a GPS in my large quad copter - it measures distance from take off position and feeds this information back to my transmitter, speed, altitude, distance etc. I can program the radio to compare remaining battery level to distance and when the ratio becomes critical it can either alert me or initiate an automatic return home.

While returning home it will automatically lower the landing gear and auto land. Completely based on logic and comparison of parameters.

None of this is necessary to fly a drone but its fun experimenting with the programming and watching it all "work"

It enhances my enjoyment of flying multicopters. Really no simpler way to put it.

With a bit of familiarity I now find it easier to program than any other radio (though the initial learning curve is steeper)

The RSSI feedback is also very useful when flying at the limits of my vision and knowing exactly how clearly the receiver is seeing the transmitter signal.

Last edited by Rob2160; 05-22-2015 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:09 AM
erwabo

Yeah, it looks like the Taranis would be sweet with a home built QUAD with a Naza32 chip. I would love to build a QUAD, but I would be starting at ground zero with the knowledge and programming, so it would be much easier and about the same cost to buy one =)

The guys at the club will probably frown on me for being a newbie and buying a Taranis. I mentioned my FrSky receiver last night and their faces said it all HAHA

The only thing I DONT like about Taranis is the telemetry read out. I would like to have whatever telem I want to see about my model right on the the page one Model screen instead of having to page down to the Telemetry screen. I also don't like the default presentation. I have seen some nice LUA scripting but it requires specific logic boards...which I may try.

I REALLY like the Eagle Tree Vector system and Taranis will read the telemetry but I wish there were display templates to utilize the data.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:16 PM
Rob2160

Yeah, it looks like the Taranis would be sweet with a home built QUAD with a Naza32 chip. I would love to build a QUAD, but I would be starting at ground zero with the knowledge and programming, so it would be much easier and about the same cost to buy one =)

The guys at the club will probably frown on me for being a newbie and buying a Taranis. I mentioned my FrSky receiver last night and their faces said it all HAHA

The only thing I DONT like about Taranis is the telemetry read out. I would like to have whatever telem I want to see about my model right on the the page one Model screen instead of having to page down to the Telemetry screen. I also don't like the default presentation. I have seen some nice LUA scripting but it requires specific logic boards...which I may try.

I REALLY like the Eagle Tree Vector system and Taranis will read the telemetry but I wish there were display templates to utilize the data.
Unfortunately fierce brand loyalty and bigoted opinions have always been part of this hobby. I judge equipment by how it performs for me and if people want to criticise a brand they have never used... Well that is self explanatory....

A local hobby store only sold and recommended Futaba radios and would bash Spektrum every time they were mentioned. They assured me Spektrum would crash all my models. Years later, with dozens of planes and helicopters on Spektrum I have never lost one due to radio problems.

Some people are simply afraid of anything new. I never understood that attitude. I'll try anything once and make up my own mind.

In my opinion the Taranis is great and I have two of them working flawlessy in over 10 multicopters that are flown regularly to distances greater than I would normally fly planes and helis.

Building your own is a lot of fun and each time I learn something new so the next build is usually better.

Having said that I started with an RTF 350 QX and that was a lot of fun too. Whatever works best for you is always the right choice.

Last edited by Rob2160; 05-22-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:37 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Taranis is a lot less expensive than the Japanese radios. A lot of people,unable to evaluate on their own, have just one criteria they can understand;price.
The radios all made in China now are simply jacked up in price so they think they are better. That way they make a nice profit too.
Taranis is cheap because it is made in China and has a free operating system. And it is not jacked up in price like the others.
But its not for the simple minded that just want to fly

Last edited by dirtybird; 05-23-2015 at 08:39 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 05-27-2015, 07:55 AM
erwabo

Well my Taranis is scheduled for Delivery today....so Ill see how it goes. There are some days im sure I would just like to fly...but Im the person who always ends up saying "Man is there any way to do this?" And I think I will have more "YES" with a Taranis, plus once you set up your model...then its there,, don't have to worry about it again until you start making changes and/or adding telemetry sensors and what not.

Im pretty big on price too...but the value has to be there, I want a high feature to price ratio, but sometimes the technology will drive me over the price barrier...like that Horus...I would buy that for $500 in heartbeat once I get some good flight time under my belt and a good handle on Open TX

Last edited by erwabo; 05-27-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:04 AM
erwabo

SO my Taranis came today. First impressions are 1. It does feel a LITTLE cheap compared to Spektrum, but still feels nice. The Gimbals are a little too smooth, but Im sure those can be tightened up. I prefer a little more tension. The LCD screen is much to be desired LOL, but not too bad. I really like the weight of it, the placement of all controls is superb. I think I knew this, but also disappointed it didn't come with the USB connector since its an older style connector. I MAY be able to dig one of those up somewhere, if not Ill have to order one...grr.Hopefully I can test it out this weekend with some planes
Old 05-27-2015, 11:57 AM
erwabo

I found a USB Cable...so I had a little fun. Changed my splash screen logo and I added the Top Gun anthem to a switch and used one of the pots for volume control for my background music. =) Just to have to charge up a plane and build out a model now
Old 05-27-2015, 10:44 PM
Rob2160

SO my Taranis came today. First impressions are 1. It does feel a LITTLE cheap compared to Spektrum, but still feels nice. The Gimbals are a little too smooth, but Im sure those can be tightened up. I prefer a little more tension. The LCD screen is much to be desired LOL, but not too bad. I really like the weight of it, the placement of all controls is superb. I think I knew this, but also disappointed it didn't come with the USB connector since its an older style connector. I MAY be able to dig one of those up somewhere, if not Ill have to order one...grr.Hopefully I can test it out this weekend with some planes
Congratulations on your new radio. Your first impressions are the same as mine were, it felt lighter and cheaper, and the gimbals were too soft. I tightened them to maximum tension which makes them feel much better.

Interested in your impressions after a month of using it also..

Last edited by Rob2160; 05-27-2015 at 10:46 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.