Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

RX/TX and FPV Beginner Question!?

Old 07-31-2015, 06:25 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

He's not a troll. He's just a newbie. Newbies don't know about all the hot button issues in the hobby like drones, and you can't expect a European to know about our current issues with the FCC in the United States anyway. He's working on a senior engineering project for a grade. There are lots of those guys in the forums in the spring here in the US, so it's not a new situation.

Now that we know more about what you are up to, Domino60, we can be more helpful to you. Autonomous drones and traditional RC are two different hobbies really, at least in the US. Yes, autonomous drones do use lots of the same equipment as traditional RC aircraft, but they are becoming more and more specialized as hobbyists and now business owners are trying to push the performance more and more. RCUniverse is mostly about traditional RC, so most of us don't know anything about special antenna designs and radio modifications to improve range. A standard RC radio is good for about a mile, and that's more than enough for our purposes. You should have a look at drone specific forums to get the information you want. www.diydrones.com could be helpful, especially if you will be using a 3DR flight controller. Some Google searching will probably turn up a few more similar drone specific forums where participants are pushing the performance of their machines way beyond what's been possible before.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:58 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Dirty: If you look at his statements, he is an educated engineer , I have no doubt about that. But he is asking people in a Forum that probably know less about his question than we do. Then he states he will not be told how to do this, he will do it himself? So why ask the questions if you don't need the help?
He is an IT engineering student. He is not an RF engineer. The disciplines are very different. He is attempting to create a real working platform that he can practice his programming skills on. He got a bit snarky when he was told what he was doing is illegal and not practical. I think I would have too if I were in his case.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:46 AM
jester_s1

Domino60, what you may not realize since you're not in the US is that relations between the RC community and the government are very tense right now. Autonomous flight and drones are making the news regularly now, and usually in very bad ways. The FAA is considering some heavy regulations that would significantly change the way RC has traditionally been enjoyed because of that. So whenever we see someone talking about long range flight, modifying radio gear, drones, etc, we get suspicious. You were being fairly secretive about what you were up to in the first few posts, which adds to the suspicion. None of that is your fault, but you did breach a sensitive topic in the American RC community. Now that we understand what you are doing, I think you'll find everyone is much friendlier. But like I said earlier, the things you want to know are rarely done by traditional aeromodelers.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:08 AM
Domino60

Legal or illegal is a part that i don't like to hear because what I'm doing is for myself and not hurting others, everything with what I'm working with (components, circuits) are made from companies to be used from people
who know what they are doing. I know that in US rules/laws are strictly about Radio Control / Drones but Drones have a bad name because of their old use which is carrying rockets ..etc It's not my mistake and i will not pay
that because other use drones in wrong ways. (<-- Just a friendly story)

To be honest with everything that I know and how electronic equipment works on our everyday world it's easy to be hacked and used as a trolling tool If I would be in US i could of create a trolling team
creating 50 RC airplanes and give them auto pilot coordinates to fly above restricted Gov. buildings or what ever and dropping confetti ahah of curse being careful not having any kind of finger prints on airplanes
or recover points. One use airplane, recovering them will be high dangerous to be captured.

Skynet

Actually skynet can be done really easy as an IT engineer I know a lot about network and updating my knowledge about wireless network as 1 to 5Ghz internet and mobile phones network that actual network
can be used to control different kind of drones, you don't need antennas because there is already million of antennas all over a city, country, earth a satellite can be used world wide to control any other ww drones.

About myself I'm just an IT engineer that try to build his own "Drone" airplane to make a demonstration of his abilities and finish the university with high mark but who knows what kind of project I will start in the future

Last edited by Domino60; 08-01-2015 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:28 AM
jetmech05

You say you're a beginner do you even know how to fly?
Old 08-02-2015, 06:47 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by Domino60
Legal or illegal is a part that i don't like to hear because what I'm doing is for myself and not hurting others, everything with what I'm working with (components, circuits) are made from companies to be used from people
who know what they are doing. I know that in US rules/laws are strictly about Radio Control / Drones but Drones have a bad name because of their old use which is carrying rockets ..etc It's not my mistake and i will not pay
that because other use drones in wrong ways. (<-- Just a friendly story)

To be honest with everything that I know and how electronic equipment works on our everyday world it's easy to be hacked and used as a trolling tool If I would be in US i could of create a trolling team
creating 50 RC airplanes and give them auto pilot coordinates to fly above restricted Gov. buildings or what ever and dropping confetti ahah of curse being careful not having any kind of finger prints on airplanes
or recover points. One use airplane, recovering them will be high dangerous to be captured.

Skynet

Actually skynet can be done really easy as an IT engineer I know a lot about network and updating my knowledge about wireless network as 1 to 5Ghz internet and mobile phones network that actual network
can be used to control different kind of drones, you don't need antennas because there is already million of antennas all over a city, country, earth a satellite can be used world wide to control any other ww drones.

About myself I'm just an IT engineer that try to build his own "Drone" airplane to make a demonstration of his abilities and finish the university with high mark but who knows what kind of project I will start in the future
I thought you were just a student with a project I could help with.
But with this post,you show a rebel streak borderline terrorist).
Please stay out of the US. We have a enough of your type here.
BTW we rarely use fingerprints anymore. DNA is better
Old 08-02-2015, 01:09 PM
jester_s1

He doesn't know how to fly. Most drone pilots don't. Many of them go straight to autonomous flight, and the ones that don't rely on the electronic helps from their flight controller. I was talking with an RC buddy yesterday who is also into drones, actually working on starting up a business with it. He said that most of the drone pilots he knows couldn't manually fly their hexcopters through their intended path and do a damage free landing if their lives depended on it. He's watched a few of them have flyaways when the GPS autopilot glitched and they just stood there and watched. All they needed to do was switch over to manual mode and bring it home through the FPV, but they didn't even have the skills to do that. Of course, the flight controllers are so good now that it's really possible to get a vehicle in the air with no flying skills. That's assuming, of course, that everything works like it should.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:26 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by jester_s1
He doesn't know how to fly. Most drone pilots don't. Many of them go straight to autonomous flight, and the ones that don't rely on the electronic helps from their flight controller. I was talking with an RC buddy yesterday who is also into drones, actually working on starting up a business with it. He said that most of the drone pilots he knows couldn't manually fly their hexcopters through their intended path and do a damage free landing if their lives depended on it. He's watched a few of them have flyaways when the GPS autopilot glitched and they just stood there and watched. All they needed to do was switch over to manual mode and bring it home through the FPV, but they didn't even have the skills to do that. Of course, the flight controllers are so good now that it's really possible to get a vehicle in the air with no flying skills. That's assuming, of course, that everything works like it should.
Jester: he states he is an IT Engineer, asking questions about subjects that , First of all, do not belong in the" Beginner Forum", and second , he will not be told what to do, and ignores people trying to give him an answer, which most of here do not know.He states he is doing this on his own, But I seriously doubt the validity of his comments.
If he knows all the answers, why ask the questions? , Reread his posts, then make up your own mind. Dirty Birdy condemned me for making a statement, but it seems now, he has changed his mind because of the OP'S statements.Anyway, I am done with this B.S. from this clown.

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 08-02-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:28 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Jester: he states he is an IT Engineer, asking questions about subjects that , First of all, do not belong in the" Beginner Forum", and second ,. from this clown.

Bingo !!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the beginners forum for beginners to building and flying model airplanes period it is not a training camp for? you fill in the blanks. This should have been locked down for non conformance to the forum rules almost from the start.

It seems of late there has been a loss of moderators and the few remaining are having difficulty even loosing control. Why else would a thread be allowed to exist in the beginners forum in its very title says only over fifty allowed and is nothing more than a few old timer squatters who decided there is not enough traffic in the old timers forum and with the lack of moderation decided they are gonna just squat in the beginners forum, to hell with the rules. The OP even stated that in the first post of the thread. I am an oldtimer but this is embarrassing. It has been going on since January and you would be totally worn out in an attempt to find even one post even remotely related to beginners or anything useful to beginners.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 08-02-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:06 PM
jester_s1

Ok guys, I've seen threads like this before. And as I mentioned above, I've worked at these contests before. He has a project, probably for a 400 level class, that he's supposed to do for a major grade. He's supposed to design a flying machine, take it to a contest and compete, then write a paper about it. All kinds of engineering students do these contests, so many of them have no aircraft experience at all. The dumb ones think they have it all figured out and build a colossal failure then try to make their grade on explaining why it didn't work in their paper. The great ones have a few years of previous projects to examine and a professor who guides them to study what's worked before so they can continue to innovate. That's what I suggested to the OP that he do but he's not biting. The ones in the middle frequently show up on the forums looking for quick answers on how to get started. They are essentially looking for homework help. Some are very receptive, and some just want confirmation that their ideas are right. Either way, I think it's a good investment in the hobby to help these guys, because a few might continue their interested in RC and a very few might have an innovative idea that makes its way into a new product. But even if it doesn't, you're helping a new engineer finish his education so he can start working, which is sorely needed in many parts of the country.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:33 PM
Domino60

You say you're a beginner do you even know how to fly?
Yes I do.

If he knows all the answers, why ask the questions?
I didn't said I know all the answers, i came here to ask about Antennas because I'm a beginner in wireless transmition and know only few stuffs about picking the right antenna.

After reading all the comment I've seen there is a little conflict about beginners/ Me, I started the topic just asking questions but after that you asked me why, for what, who are you, what are you doing..etc
I didn't wanted to talk at all just answer my question but I opened myself and told you who I am, what I'm doing and what I hear after few days, that maybe I'm unskilled pilot, i use illegal equipment, I ask for homework..etc

I didn't asked for homework, I do this project on my own trying collecting as much information as possible and learn as an IT Engineer I can program my own chips and make them work as I want, there is no contest
or any kind competition or what ever, It's a direct project, my final project and presentation about what I builded to take the final mark and finish the university, so in any kind of situation i need to make this project as possible from
the bottom LvL to take high mark, that's why I'm building my own circuits, airplane and Radio control, to make a presentation in front of 5 people that will give me hundreds of question and i need to demonstrate everything that I builded / programed ...etc and If I'm good they gonna see how skilled I am and give me a high mark and probably work recommendation.

So in the end of story if you wanna help me understand about the antenna good if not then no one push you to comment, you are free to skip me,
in the other way if you have any kind of ideas or suggestions I will be glad to hear them.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2015, 08:38 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

None the less IP engineer, electronics engineer, RF engineer or whatever else you care to care to call it the beginners forum is not the appropriate place for them.

If the slackening and decay of the forums standards and rules is allowed to continue pretty soon there will be no model airplane newbys and beginners that I came here in hopes of helping, I don,t know about you but thats why I am here and its depressing to see this fall into anarchy.

John
Old 08-06-2015, 07:19 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys. I've had a couple of the members of this thread contact me this morning about where there thread has been going and they have asked me to take a look at it and see if there is anything I can do. At first I do agree that the thread was getting way, way, way off topic and the personal attacks were getting out of hand and needed to be taken care of. You will all notice that there is a huge chunk of posts that are gone now and that is the reason, they are a result of me cleaning up the thread. There are too many posts gone from too many members for me to contact each of you individually to notify you that I removed you posts, so please take this post as your notification that your post was removed.

Now for the second business at hand. The this thread does NOT belong in the Beginner's Forum, and after reading through the thread that is painfully obvious to me. The Beginner's forum is intended for people that are getting started in flying and need basic help with setting up a beginning plane (a trainer) and the basics in starting to fly. The OP of this thread has stated many times that he came in here looking for help with antennas for his radios that he is designing, and that is definitely way out of what the Beginner's forum is supposed to be here for. With all the troubles in the thread my first thought was to simply delete the thread and be done with that, but after some thought I am going to give this thread a second chance and I'm going to move it to a Forum that is better suited to give him the info he needs about his antennas. I am going to move the thread to the Radio's forum. That forum is dedicated to answering any questions about radios, so that should be the place for him to get the answer to his questions.

Ken