Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Specktrum radios; why did you crash? Why did you have a "brown-out?"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Specktrum radios; why did you crash? Why did you have a "brown-out?"

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 12:14 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
They have their failures. You just don't hear about them very often because nobody flies Futaba any more.

Andy
That's because of all that CHEEP junk the hobby shops push. A 5 channel radio with alkaline batteries is not a real radio. But then they are hooked for life. OH WELL!
Old 09-15-2015, 12:14 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They have their failures. You just don't hear about them very often because nobody flies Futaba any more.

Andy
That's cute... go to any Rc competition and see the ratio of pilots standing holding transmitters, the majority will be holding either Futaba or Jr... the fact that you being part of spektrum development team and you lower yourself to that level, shows your true character... every 2.4 radio system out there can lock out due to many reasons, that's why the fail safe feature was designed into the system is for , which nobody takes the time to setup properly btw... I've owned a 14SG for over two years now, I fly every weekend, mostly on Sundays, 4-6 flights, and not had one lock out, glitch, or odd moments of no control response.

A lot of the problems you're hearing with these 2.4 systems are due to setup issues, not reading and understanding the manual... some due to transmitter potentiometer issues... like I said there are various reasons these things are happening, not all can be blamed on the radio equipment.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 09-15-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:31 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by John_M_
That's cute... go to any Rc competition and see the ratio of pilots standing holding transmitters, the majority will be holding either Futaba or Jr... the fact that you being part of spektrum development team and you lower yourself to that level, shows your true character... every 2.4 radio system out there can lock out due to many reasons, that's why the fail safe feature was designed into the system is for , which nobody takes the time to setup properly btw... I've owned a 14SG for over two years, now, I fly every weekend, mostly on Sundays, 4-6 flights, and not had one lock out, glitch, or odd moments of no control response.

A lot of the problems you're hearing with these 2.4 systems are due to setup issues, not reading an understanding the manual... some due to transmitter potentiometer issues... like I said there are various reasons these things are happening, not all can be blamed on the radio equipment.

John M,
Jonny U are perfectly right. Many reason for Radio Related Crashes is PISS POOR SET UP. That being said Look at all the, as I call them, Persistent crashers. 99% I would say is Wrong radio set up when it seams to be a radio problem. A couple of years ago from december 1st to second week in February I personally witnesses SPECTRUM flyers just stand there and look at their radio and wonder what the HE[[ just happened when their plane made a smoking hole in the desert for no apparent reason. Just dove into the ground and Killed itself. Our chief Instructor and I were 2 of the 13. Go Figure.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:40 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Bob please share with us what brand of radio that has not lost U an airplane as Yet.
I have never lost an airplane flying with my old RS Systems, my Airtronics, my Futaba gold and 14 SG, or my DX 7 or 18. I lost my Comp Arf 3.3 Yak, my Laser 200 and my electrics on my JR 12 X, as I already stated the problem was isolated and rectified. The short story is Horizon Hobbies replaced my transmitter and all my airborn gear that was lost in the lake. I have flown several other radio system in the early years, but I believe most unexplained hits those days were do to CB or ham radios keying up near by.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 09-16-2015 at 03:04 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:14 PM
TOPGUN WINNER
My Feedback: (27)

i have not heard of any at the 4 clubs i fly at....All of my IMAC Friends say that is all they will ever use.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:26 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by TOPGUN WINNER
i have not heard of any at the 4 clubs i fly at....All of my IMAC Friends say that is all they will ever use.
Hey TopGun would U please "Reply with Quotes". It makes it much easier for us O'l Gezzers to follow to whom you are conversing with. Thanks for your comments and who gives a crap if others don't respect those that truly have made a difference, Not just support their system because they don't want to believe they have made a costly grave mistake with their purchase of something that may have problems.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:48 PM
HoundDog

propicts...ask Andy about the technical differences between the DSMX and the DSM2...He is very good technically. The blinking lights mean that you had 3 or 4 brown outs and were very lucky. Do not blame your Radio Tx it is because of the Spektrum Rx...they can fix the problem but they have not.
TGW ;
What do U say Spectrum would have to do to their Receivers to eliminate these
"BROWN OUTS"?
Old 09-15-2015, 01:49 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by lawrence b
I have a question for everyone that is a little off track. Has anybody flying a Futaba ever had any kind of signal loss or problems during a flight? This entire thread has been Spektrum failures but not a word about a Futaba failures. Is Futaba really that good?
Larry B
I've had one and have seen a few crashes using Futaba.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:52 PM
flyinwalenda

Those videos must be really long or the OP is on dial-up. It's been several days, are they still uploading to youtube?
Old 09-15-2015, 01:53 PM
jetmaven

And I've seen crashed Mercedes . No telling where this thread goes . It's been Spektrum - centric here for a reason .
Old 09-15-2015, 01:53 PM
TOPGUN WINNER

Originally Posted by HoundDog
That's because of all that CHEEP junk the hobby shops push. A 5 channel radio with alkaline batteries is not a real radio. But then they are hooked for life. OH WELL!
AMEN hound dog... I tell all of my students to throw their DX-5 in the Garbage...Don't sell it for $50.00 if you are a Christian I have told them to buy a DX-7 and not get their expensive receivers...Buy Hobby King Orange and save a bunch of money...They start at $6.00 and work great for planes up to 60 size sticks or trainers. I use the expensive $17.00 ORANGE Seven Channel that comes with fail safe.

In my Vidios it out performs the AR_7000 & AR-8000...They both had one brown out after another without any load...One idiot said I had to put load on them or the test was inconclusive....I guess he thinks a bigger drain will keep them from having a brow out.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:00 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by John_M_
That's cute... go to any Rc competition and see the ratio of pilots standing holding transmitters, the majority will be holding either Futaba or Jr...
I do go. And what I see is not what you're saying. Just quickly off the top of my head a few.

A few weeks back in IL: jet meet. I saw 1 Taranis, 1 Jeti (the guy sells them), 1 JR 28X, 2 Futaba 18MZ, and everybody else (60-some pilots) flying Spektrum - mostly DX18 or DX18G2.

In June in PA: 1 Taranis, 3 Futabas, everybody else Spektrum - DX8, DX7s, DX9, and DX18. Mostly DX9's, though. About 30 pilots. Same meet the year before it was 0 Taranis, 2 Futaba, 1 JR (he upgraded his 11X to a DX18 for following year), the rest Spektrum. (This event has been going on for 30 years, so it's pretty well-established and draws people from MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT).

There are 3 clubs locally - Champaign, Decatur, and Monticello. Monticello is all Spektrum except 1 or 2 JR. I know of 1 Futaba guy in Decatur, the rest I've met are Spektrum or JR/DSM (ie, Spektrum technology). Even the Champaign club, where the Hobbico guys mostly fly, has a huge percentage of Spektrum radios.

Some surface events I've been to show about 50% Spektrum, a few Airtronics, 0 JR, a good number of Futaba. I also see some older (27 and 75 MHz) systems at the boat stuff - mostly old guys who are probably still running their first radios.

Maybe where you live it's different - I know the midwest and east coast are pretty good with Spektrum stuff. Or maybe it's just the circles we run in.

Andy
Old 09-15-2015, 02:32 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

With all due respect , You Sir need to backpedal a bit on the insults and get to posting a link to the video(s) you keep referring to .

Any thread claiming to "out" some deep dark secret of one of our hobby's widely used products really should have gotten to the "show me the proof" stage LONG before 12 pages have elapsed , and yet I and others continue to wait for a link to the video that you say will back up your assertions .

Just an FYI ;

Any model I own using more than the normal 4 or 5 regular servos ALWAYS has a separate power circuit for the receiver and servos (Ignition gets it's own battery too , for my gassers) . I wouldn't dream of running any more than 5 regular (or 4 digital) servos without a dedicated receiver supply , no matter whose equipment I use !

Also as others have stated , the circuit delivering power to anything is only as strong as it's weakest link . It does no good to have 50 amps of battery current available and then run it through a switch that's gonna melt at 10 amps ! Yes indeed , I truly believe the setup matters much more than which label the plastic box wears .

Anyway , for anyone and everyone who is throwing the insults around , please , remember that these are your fellow hobbyists your talking to , and really , WOULD you be calling folks idiots right to their faces ? I highly doubt it , so let's just keep to the subject matter at hand , and see if some video evidence is gonna be shown . sound like a plan ?

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 09-16-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:40 PM
HoundDog

I do go. And what I see is not what you're saying. Just quickly off the top of my head a few.

A few weeks back in IL: jet meet. I saw 1 Taranis, 1 Jeti (the guy sells them), 1 JR 28X, 2 Futaba 18MZ, and everybody else (60-some pilots) flying Spektrum - mostly DX18 or DX18G2.

In June in PA: 1 Taranis, 3 Futabas, everybody else Spektrum - DX8, DX7s, DX9, and DX18. Mostly DX9's, though. About 30 pilots. Same meet the year before it was 0 Taranis, 2 Futaba, 1 JR (he upgraded his 11X to a DX18 for following year), the rest Spektrum. (This event has been going on for 30 years, so it's pretty well-established and draws people from MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT).

There are 3 clubs locally - Champaign, Decatur, and Monticello. Monticello is all Spektrum except 1 or 2 JR. I know of 1 Futaba guy in Decatur, the rest I've met are Spektrum or JR/DSM (ie, Spektrum technology). Even the Champaign club, where the Hobbico guys mostly fly, has a huge percentage of Spektrum radios.

Some surface events I've been to show about 50% Spektrum, a few Airtronics, 0 JR, a good number of Futaba. I also see some older (27 and 75 MHz) systems at the boat stuff - mostly old guys who are probably still running their first radios.

Maybe where you live it's different - I know the midwest and east coast are pretty good with Spektrum stuff. Or maybe it's just the circles we run in.

Andy
Do they all drive Electric cars too?
Old 09-15-2015, 02:49 PM
flyinwalenda

Wow. What's with the Jr. High insults ?
You stated many times that you have videos supporting your postings and many would like to view them.Just trying to figure out what the problems is.
Why is it taking so long? I remember when I uploaded my first video it did take all night because I had it in the wrong format and the only internet access was dial-up.
Do you need help posting the videos ?
I'm sure someone here will be glad to help you.

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 09-16-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:57 PM
AndyKunz

AR9100's haven't been made for 4-5 years. There are "new" ones on ebay and target hobbies right now that are counterfeits. They are using out-of-spec components in several key areas, and running old code. You guys wouldn't be buying cheap crap like those when getting your beloved Orange ones, would you?

Andy
Old 09-15-2015, 03:24 PM
flyinwalenda

You have quoted and thrown Jr High insults at the same post twice already. What's going on?

Back on post #6 I asked a very specific question and in post #7 you answered my question. Your answer was that the led is lit solid after your crashes and that is NOT a brown-out. In a brown-out the receiver led flashes on&off. So what exactly are you experiencing with a solidly lit led ?
Not a brown-out!
You also said you have videos showing the exact problem. So again, please post them or ask for some help if you need it.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11621505-
specktrum-radios-why-did-you-crash-why-did-you-have-brown-out.html#post12096746

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 09-16-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:30 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

Post #290 says it all.... How sad. How very sad. Signing off from this entire theater of the absurd. Here's what I learned... There's nothing wrong with Spektrum.

Ken
Old 09-15-2015, 03:33 PM
AndyKunz

I have done over a billion dollars with China and have forgot more about " knock offs" than you will ever know.
Yes, dear.

You just sent me a thread telling me to buy an AR-9100 safe receiver and all my problems would go away...remember that thread?
If I said anything, I would have said "PowerSafe receiver such as AR9110 or AR12120" - an AR9100 is an old thing that cloners have been selling to cheapskates. If there's an AR9100 there, it was a typo on my part. I would never tell you to buy a counterfeit.

Andy
Old 09-15-2015, 04:08 PM
John_M_

Andy
I'm in California, and at our field I see more Jr and futaba, some jeti... don't get me wrong, there's plenty of spektrum as well, my inlaw owns a Dx9 and has served him well, and I was going to follow suit, but I decided to go futaba, just because that's all I've ever used, other than the one Cannon I purchased back in the 90's , and if you have every seen a poorer design, cannon was at the bottom of the list back in the 72-75 mhz days... the pots in the transmitter were in two parts, the trace board was mounted to soft nylon plastic, and the pot wiper was attached to the gamble axis... there were two screws holding the trace board to the wiper , the pressure from the wiper pushed the soft plastic trace board outwards away from the wiper... when I saw that I knew I made a mistake buying that radio... I pick and choose based on what I see... I've seen the new JR 28 channel radio, its not something that interests me... who knows, maybe one day I'll own a spektrum when the need for a new radio arises, I'll consider all options available.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 09-15-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:23 PM
5skyhawk172

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been flying specktrum radios since the first dx7 came out in 2007. Other than changing the battery from 4.8 volt to 6 volt have never had a problem in thousands of flights in anything from a foamy to a 50cc edge 540.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:47 PM
jmiles1941

John we have our central Ga Imac contes this weekend , I fly with the same guys at these contest , there will be 28 pilots there , there will be 2 Jeti, 4 Jr, 21 Futaba and, 1 spectrum , I am going to take pictures and post them on here so all will see what the southeast IMAC pilots favorite radio is . I have flown 6 contest this year , and only saw 3 Spektrums at the contest , just saying , my Futaba recievers 6014 cost 179.00 they are dependable to bind you turn on the transmitter turn on the receiver and press the button one second and they are bound that simple , this op has completely gotten off the purpose , it is not what system you fly but is there a problem with Spektrum? I believe the answer is yes I owned a DX8 gave it away went back to my Futaba I Have been with Futaba since 1986 I tried the DX8 cause everyone said how wonderful it was , well for me it was terrible sorry just the way I feel , I have never ever had a problem out of my Futaba but just remember you get what you pay for , you cant expect a 300 dollar radio to be as good as a 700 to 1000 dollar one and you cant expect a 32 dollar receiver to compete with a 179 to 200 receiver like isaid just saying . So if you trust your system to me that should be the bottom line

Last edited by jmiles1941; 09-15-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:16 PM
sro2004

In my Vidios it out performs the AR_7000 & AR-8000...They both had one brown out after another without any load...One idiot said I had to put load on them or the test was inconclusive....I guess he thinks a bigger drain will keep them from having a brow out.
I guess I'm an idiot. You've been beating around the bush trying to make a case that Spektrum receivers can't handle any more load than 4 or 5 regular servos. So to test your hypothosis, you would increase the load above and beyond the norm until the receiver failed. Then test other brand receivers and compare. However, if you're "browning out" your receiver without any load, you may want to have a more qualified technical resourse examine your setup. We've already learned here that for demanding applications, people run a seperate bus for servo power no matter what brand of gear they're using. That's good info, so this thread...i hate to say...has not been a total loss.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:12 PM
John_M_

Jmiles1941, during competition events at our field, its about the same... there are more Dx's amongst the regular weekend flyers though... it was my inlaw that told me about the power boards, as I came from the older FM radios into 2.4ghz, I was not familiar with the latest technology... with his Dx9, he has been using a servo power board since day one of his own design, made out of perforated project circuit boards; basically very similar to the servo city PB's... so I couldn't tell you if he has had any issues or not, he certainly hasn't complained about anything unusual and has not crash with that particular radio to date... I guess the only way to really know what is happening with these particular radios, is to do tests in a controlled environment so it can be reproduced over and over consistently if there is a problem, and to eliminate any possible interference at any airfield that is having issues... but from what I understand about 2.4ghz, you would have to jam a good portion of the 2.4 gig band to cause a lock out to occur, but it would be very apparent if that was the case, as it would have an affect on more than just one aircraft at the same time... flying behind an obstruction could cause a lock out to occur as well, but who does that... with a lock out, you loose momentary control, and if you have the failsafe setup, the aircraft usually stays in the air... with a brown out on the other hand, it would most likely cause the aircraft to crash, as the receiver looses consciousness, and the failsafe would not kick in.

I know JR now offers receivers with a heavy duty servo buss built-in to the receiver with heavy gauge wire coming out to a deans type connector for the battery connection, so there is an awareness that the power requirement of these high end digital servos need to be met... as far as I'm concerned, it should be standard practice with any system.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 09-16-2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Re-worded
Old 09-16-2015, 02:33 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

Originally Posted by kdunlap
Well, I have flown Specktrum for almost 9 years and currently fly with a DX8. I have flown hundreds of hours across about 15 receivers and never had a problem. I fly a couple of airplanes with telemetry and have always had a rock solid connection in terms of frame loss. I am certainly sorry about your experience, but they will have to pry the DX8 out of my cold dead fingers before I give it up. It's been that good for me.
Ken
i did exactly the same thing and feel the same way. I have had 3 DX_& & 2 DX-8 Tx...All worked Great. Still fly my brand new "black" DX-7 and have no problems with it....Never had a problem with Rx untill we started to get away from the foamies and sticks and warbirds, ETC.

Our problems start with Digital Servos, Small planes with 5 standard servos, nitro and gas models...

Very seldom have problems with electrics unless they are the big fms 1700MM... I love those planes...Between 3 of us we have had everything they make...Thanks FMS you build the best of the best in Foamy Warbirds.

The only problem Spektrum has is with the receivers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.