Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Specktrum radios; why did you crash? Why did you have a "brown-out?"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Specktrum radios; why did you crash? Why did you have a "brown-out?"

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 07:09 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not have an ax to grind in this thread as I am a Futaba owner. This past weekend I witnessed a Spectrum brown out. The pilot was lucky and regained control with no loss of plane. What we did discover was a servo overload on the battery which caused the brown out. He was using a 4.8 volt NiCad battery with 2 retract servos. When the retracts were activated the voltage was dropping low enough to cause the brown out and on completion of the retract cycle the power was restored enough for the receiver to come back into bind again. It was a scary moment for all concerned, and now the pilot has switched to 6 volt Lipo's, so hopefully in the future no more problems. Good Luck, Dave
Old 09-10-2015, 08:37 AM
jetmaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still flying my Futaba 8UAP on 72 with zero issues . I've seen enough other brand flyaways, brown outs, black outs,crap outs that just creep me out
Anyone looking for used Spektrum , Orange and a plethora of other cheap crap can come out to our field and go diving in the gator infested lakes that surround it .
And a question , just why on Earth do some brand receivers need multiple rx antennas ?
Maybe they're just hard of hearing from the get go .
Old 09-10-2015, 09:26 AM
Russmall

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must be doing something wrong! I've been flying Spektrum exclusively since the original DX-7 came out in 2007 if memory serves me correct. In that time, I've had two transmitters, the original DX-7 and a JR 9303, and about a dozen Spektrum receivers. Almost all of my servos are digitals and I have flown everything from foamies to 30% gassers and have yet to have a single brownout or lose an airplane. I've used Life receiver packs almost from the beginning and before that Li-ion battery packs. I've had a few crashes but it was from dumb thumbs, not equipment failure. Maybe I've just been "lucky"?
Old 09-10-2015, 09:53 AM
stegl

Jetmaven: I believe when you are mentioning multiple receiver antennas that you are referring to Spektrums satellite receivers ? yes that was something I always wondered about but I guess with the shorty ant leads they have on most of their receivers, may have something to do with it but I did notice that they are now producing receiver antennas with longer leads like the better brands out there. Jeti does have the option of adding satellite receivers if using large aircraft when the user has concerns with interference with ignition and other electronics in the vicinity of the main receiver. They do say that satellites are not necessary but gives the user that option rather than no option. Which I think is a good " optional" idea.

Even though Spektrum "claim" that the receiver with operate down to 3.5v but they do recommend that no less than 4.8V ... Guess they can't make up their mind. Airtronics claim to go to 2.0v and Jeti 3.2v but not sure about the others. Maybe that is the reason I have never heard of Airtronics having a link issue as the servos stop working around 3v or so;but again that depends what brand of servo also.

Last edited by stegl; 09-10-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:10 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This Spektrum issue is always blamed on pilot, installation error,or battery issue. The plain fact is Spektrum does not handle interference well. Our flying field is located near an industrial park ( a lot of stray rf). Even on 72, if one of your receiver filters was bad you new it! That being said; I stopped counting ( north of 50) how many Spektrum planes have gone in. We even had a guy fly Spektrum with an on board video and recorded 4 " brown outs" in the air. The 4th happen to close to the ground to re-bind before the crash. This video was posted to
YTUBE 6 years ago. I would take the time to find the link, but Spektrum lovers always discount count it. I personally have had new flyers ask me why I wouldn't recommend Spektrum and purchased them any way. I had 3 flyers comeback to me and tell me they" wish they had taken my advise". Specktrum Radios have a lot of great features for the price. Bottom line you get what you pay for. Just to be upfront I fly 2.4 Futaba. 100's of flights, without a radio issue. pilot errors you bet, but not radio relayed.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:28 AM
stegl

Chris: you really hit the nail on the head. As for 72mhz the best receiver if the channel count was ok ; was the Berg7 receiver ( 7 channel) Of all the 72MHZ receivers out there this was the best at interference rejection; bar none. I flew Futaba 72 MHz for almost 20 years and was a great radio and one of the first at computer programming. When 2.4 arrived , I waited and did my homework and not sorry I did. I went with the Airtronics RDS8000 and shortly after with the SD-10G because of the added programing features which today are rock solid and not obsolete.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:30 AM
TOPGUN WINNER
My Feedback: (27)

Rc guy 59...are you quoting my old buddy kelly johnson from the skunk works?
Old 09-10-2015, 10:37 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

JOHN...YOU SOUND LIKE A PRETTY SMART GUY...CHECK OUT TARANUS AND THEIR OPEN SYSTEM...16 CHANNELS WITH FULL TELEMETRY FOR UNDER $200.00

16 CHANNEL RXx WITH TELEMETRY IS ONLY $32.00 NEVER HAD A FAILURE AS FAR AS ANYONE KNOWS....TAKES ABOUT A WEEK TO GET COMFORTABLE AND TWO WEEKS YOU ARE READY TO DO ANYTHING...HAS S-BUS ALSO.

I FLY TARANUS, FURABA (30) YRS AND SPEKTRUM FOR 9 YRS....NEVER PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:47 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

Ahicks; you are 100% correct..

However, omission and fail to disclose is a simple little mistake that makes spektrum and horizon hobby 100% responsible for everyone's losses from using a spektrum product.

Wait until you see the last nail in the coffin. Some mba's are going down. Life is not about making money, they are all in violation of violation of fiduciary duties and possible conspiracy to commit fraud...mail fraud that is...a federal crime for federal courts. Oh boy !!!

They do have a serious design flaw that must be changed and fixed or they will soon be gone from all the stories i am hearing.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:20 AM
stegl

[QUOTE=TOPGUN WINNER;12097517]JOHN...YOU SOUND LIKE A PRETTY SMART GUY...CHECK OUT TARANUS AND THEIR OPEN SYSTEM...16 CHANNELS WITH FULL TELEMETRY FOR UNDER $200.00

16 CHANNEL RXx WITH TELEMETRY IS ONLY $32.00 NEVER HAD A FAILURE AS FAR AS ANYONE KNOWS....TAKES ABOUT A WEEK TO GET COMFORTABLE AND TWO WEEKS YOU ARE READY TO DO ANYTHING...HAS S-BUS ALSO.

Keep hearing about Taranus and how great it is for $200 or so bucks and keep hearing and reading about how things have to be replaced/fixed. That starts to bring up the selling price on my accounting books. Also Telemetry is also a general used terms but be specific about what telemetry functions are available and that work and how they work, If just numbers on your screen , that's fine when on the ground but don't do squat when you are IN the ground by watching the monitor and not your aircraft. Here is a couple of questions..... can you attach voice to each alert or just warning tones ? Can you install custom made voice alerts ? How many voice alerts can you set up at one time ..... Thanks.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:31 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stegl
Jetmaven: I believe when you are mentioning multiple receiver antennas that you are referring to Spektrums satellite receivers ? yes that was something I always wondered about but I guess with the shorty ant leads they have on most of their receivers, may have something to do with it but I did notice that they are now producing receiver antennas with longer leads like the better brands out there. Jeti does have the option of adding satellite receivers if using large aircraft when the user has concerns with interference with ignition and other electronics in the vicinity of the main receiver. They do say that satellites are not necessary but gives the user that option rather than no option. Which I think is a good " optional" idea.

Even though Spektrum "claim" that the receiver with operate down to 3.5v but they do recommend that no less than 4.8V ... Guess they can't make up their mind. Airtronics claim to go to 2.0v and Jeti 3.2v but not sure about the others. Maybe that is the reason I have never heard of Airtronics having a link issue as the servos stop working around 3v or so;but again that depends what brand of servo also.
2.4 gigahertz has a short wavelength... the receiver antennas for 2.4 are probably a 1/4 wavelength in length, a full wavelength is just under 5" inches (4.92")... if you cut or damage the antenna, you'll greatly risk reducing your reception range, and loss of link... they need to be away from anything metallic, including carbon fiber... with my futaba R7008SB receivers, I have them mounted high up in the cabin, and one of the antennas sticking out through the top if the fuselage, and the other sticking out 90 degrees through the side of the fuselage just in front of the leading edge of the wing... I take a coffee stirrer which is none conductive plastic and cut it to length and glue it into the fuselage, just long enough to cover the antennas... that protects them from bending in flight, and from other damage.

I have two R7008SB, so one is to the far right, and the other is to the far left... the two antenna groups are separated by well over a full wave length, you do that so the other receiver's antennas don't act as a reflector to the other receiver, although at 2.4 gig, the effect would be null, its just good practice to separate receivers at least a full wave length, or an odd multiple of the full wavelength, especially with telemetry receivers which are bi directional receivers (transceivers) they are both receiving and sending data.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 09-10-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:45 AM
fragile

SPEKTRUM radios have a software problem since day one.

Furthermore, the DSM2 system is really not compatible with
DSMX system.

This topic was on RCU and elsewhere many times before.
Pilots who fly expensive models with SPEKTRUM radios are
asking for their loss.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:01 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Originally Posted by fragile
SPEKTRUM radios have a software problem since day one.

Furthermore, the DSM2 system is really not compatible with
DSMX system.

This topic was on RCU and elsewhere many times before.
Pilots who fly expensive models with SPEKTRUM radios are
asking for their loss.
+1
Old 09-10-2015, 01:06 PM
p3arljam
My Feedback: (5)

I have been using Spektrum for 4 years with AR400 AR600 AR 6210 AND AR8000 never had 1 issue. My question is why would you continue to use Spektrum crash after crash if you think there equipment is to blame and im not saying it isnt. There are plenty of people on RCU and RCG that will buy it from you. Also if you are going to stay with Spektrum i suggest you use satellite with your RX.Our club has 140 members with probably 75% using Spektrum with no such issues if your club is having that many problems it is more likely with the area where you are flying.

Last edited by p3arljam; 09-10-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:49 PM
TOPGUN WINNER

Jim,
yes i will. First, if you fly park flyers and dynam style foamies you will not have a problem if you use a5 cell nicd 6v battery. I do not recommend that because it would be like buying a lipo with a 5c rating...all my lipo are 50c for two reasons. I fly hard and fast but most of all i do not want my lipos to swell up. It is not the charge rate that makes them swell it is the discharge rate. If you try to fly 3-d with a 25c battery it will not do the job, it will swell up and get trashed.

Therefor , the nicd is the same way(i am making this very simple ) if you try to do a snap you are using a lot of servos at the same time...in a test environment you can see that they do not even move the way they should...the worst part is that the spektrum receivers brown out at the least sign of voltage drop.

I use life a123 batteries which provides the voltage surge capacity with no problem.

If you set up a separate bus for the servo power ( red & black wires) and plug only the signal wire into the receiver (similar to a gyroscope set up) you must have two batteries...both life a123...one for the receiver and one for the spektrum receiver and all your problems are gone. My first brownout occured when i used 100% spectrum...including digital servos...every time i used their digital servos i had a crash...they do not warn you about this and they have known for ever...

How many radios do you think they would sell if they told everyone that you need a separate servo bus and an extra battery...oh, by the way, it needs to be an expensive life a123 with a good life charger.

We are investigating some big aircraft crashes that did have a single life battery for the receiver and a second one for the ignition. In most cases that has not worked out very well. They all crashed.

Spektrum radios and transmitters are only good for small aircraft with no dual servo set ups and try to move your sticks in only one direction at a time. If you use dual aileron servos and dual elevator servos or even a servo tray for your rudder you are not allowed to do that unless you use special additional batteries and meet certain conditions and if you crash it is all your fault for buying a radio that has the lowest brown out voltage and circuity that can't handle the amps.

You can brown out at 10v if you can't get the amps....ever see a circus performer take one million volts and make his hair stand up...same thing no amps to kill him.
All that and still lost all control. We do not have the test results yet

this is just the opinion of a lot of guys that fly spektrum...i am one of them.
The testing we are doing will be published shortly and all the bs stops...the fact's will come to life. We have to document everything. The media we are using is mainly video with a few charts and photos..

Horizon hobby could have done all this and we offered to help...the said they do not have a problem...a lot of pilots believe they do...the only thing that the spektrum employees have contributed is stupid remarks and total denial of any problem...we had two more spektrum related crashes at our field today $700 aircraft all in the scrap barrel....(we have lots of pictures and movies)

the input we have received in this blog has been extremely helpful. Forget the sarcasm and read what the people that really care wrote...they all have the same pattern... Everone can't be wrong and more are coming forward...we have over four pages in one day...more come forward each day.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by TOPGUN WINNER
Dx-8 go for $125 to $150 in our area...we like them...one club i belong to is 90% spektrum. We lost over 30 aircraft last year...it was blamed on "jamming"...what a joke.
I'll buy one of them for $125.00.
Jack
Old 09-10-2015, 02:22 PM
TOPGUN WINNER

HEY EVERYONE....WE LOST TWO MORE BRAND NEW 3-D AIRPLANES TODAY..A YAK-55 AND AN EXTRA-300...TRASH BARREL. HOWEVER WE LEARNED A LOT TODAY...ANYONE WANT TO DO A TEST FOR WHAT MIGHT BE THE QUICK FIX WE ARE LOOKING FOR?

I HAVE A LOT OF CONFIDENCE IN THIS METHODOLOGY. ...

EVERYTHING I HAVE READ AND EVERYONE THAT HAS CALLED ME HAD THE SAME THING TO SAY. NO PROBLEMS WITH JR RADIOS....Hmmmm ..lET'S TRY USING THE SPEKTRUM TRANSMITTER WITH THE JR RECEIVER...THEY ARE COMPATIBLE...START WITH A STICK....THEN A STICK WITH DUAL AILERON SERVOS....THEN A STICK WITH FLAPS AND DUAL AILERONS....NEXT A STICK WITH DUAL EVERYTHING.

THAT WOULD BE A GOOD START... THE PROBLEM IS NOT YOUR RADIO...THE RECEIVERS WON'T HANDLE THE AMPS AND THEY BROW OUT...ACTUALLY AT THE HIGHEST VOLTAGE OF ANY OTHER RADIO SYSTEM WE HAVE TESTED. CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF.

IF YOU JUST ADD A LIPO, LIFE OR SIMILAR TYPE BATTERY TO POWER YOUR AR-8000 IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN IF YOU FLY LARGER AIRPLANES OR USE DIGITAL SERVOS.

WE KNOW ALREADY THAT IT TAKES A SEPARATE BUS BAR FOR THE SERVO WITH A BATTERY THAT CAN SUPPLY THE AMPS REQUIRED. KEEP THE SPEKTRUM Rx ON IT'S OWN BATTERY AND DO NOT POWER THE SERVOS WITH THE RECEIVER AND THAT WORKS PERFECT...A LOT OF EXTRA WORK BUT IF YOU FLY $1,000 AIRPLANES YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER IT.

SAFE FLYING...LET US KNOW ONE WAY OR ANOTHER WITH THIS...I WILL BE FLYING A JR RECEIVER THIS WEEKEND AT A BIG FUN FLY. MY RADIO OF CHOICE WILL BE MY DX-7 WITH 250 AIRPLANE STORAGE. I LIKE THE WAY SHE TALKS TO ME..NOT AS NICE AS MY TARANUS. BUT NICE IF I CAN FIX THE PROBLEM.

DOCUMENT WHATEVER YOU DO...THEN POST IT.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:25 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow, I sure wouln't have gone through two dozen airplanes just to prove a point the Spektrums have brown-out isues. I owuld have changed raidos after the 2nd or 3rd one.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:30 PM
TOPGUN WINNER

Jack, watch rcu..they show up once and a while...nothing wrong with the radio...buy what you want.

The receivers have a design flaw...the radio is fine...surprise !!! Spektrum has known this for years...they can't handle the amps...pretty simple fix if you know how. You can't fix it at home...don't even try ...horizon needs to replace any faulty receiver plus all your crashed planes because they did not disclose this before you purchased your radio.( and rx) especially the receivers...they have been bad for at least five years...maybe longer...never had this problem 9 years ago.

Come on guy's get testing....show us what you got....
Old 09-10-2015, 02:50 PM
TOPGUN WINNER

rgburrill

Not about proving a point. It is about a Company that has known it had a problem for years and did not disclose it to the public. They have massive resources and lot's of money...They could have fixed this in 90 days and increased their market by 30% with no effort. Instead, they say the customer is always wrong, we can't find anything wrong, we don't have a problem. I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT.

I ALSO HAVE A PROBLEM BEING LIED TO
I ALSO HAVE A PROBLEM WATCHING MY PLANE CRASH BECAUSE OF A FAULTY PRODUCT AND NOBODY CARES.
I ALSO HAVE A PROBLEM WHEN YOU TRY TO HELP SOMEONE AND ALL YOU GET BACK IS IS A BUNCH OF BS FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS NEVER DONE ANYTHING FOR ANYONE IN THEIR LIFE.

THE FRIENDS I HAVE MADE IN THIS HOBBY OVER THE LAST 70 YEARS IS WHAT KEEPS ME ALIVE . I AM 80 YEARS OLD , STILL BUILDING, STILL FLYING, STILL TEACHING AND FIGHTING THE BIG-C THROUGHOUT MY FAMILY...WE HAVE THE BEST LIFETIME HOBBY IN THE WORLD. I HAVE ONLY MET MAYBE 20 PEOPLE IN THE MODEL AIRPLANE FIELD THAT WERE NOT REALLY GREAT GUYS, SOME HAVE EGO'S, SO WHAT...SOME DON'T AGREE WITH EVERYTHING, SO WHAT! ALL HAVE SOMETHING GOOD IN THEM AND THAT'S WHAT WE LOOK FOR.

WHEN YOU GET OLD YOU RAMBLE...SORRY

FLY IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT, TAKE NO CRAP AND JUST RELAX AND HAVE FUN FLYING WITH YOUR FRIENDS...THEY MIGHT NOT BE THERE NEXT YEAR....GOD BLESS ( I AM RIGHT) LOL
Old 09-10-2015, 03:03 PM
TOPGUN WINNER

P3ARJAM

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT. I DID NOT KNOW THAT ANYONE WOULD BE DUMB ENOUGH TO FLY ANY Rx WITHOUT A SATELLITE.. WHAT DO YOU FLY AT YOUR CLUB? IF YOU FLY AIRPLANES THAT ARE 60 SIZE AND UNDER YOU HAVE A VERY GOOD CHANCE OF NOT HAVING A BROWN OUT.

IF YOU FLY HIGH PERFORMANCE AIRCRAFT, PATTERN OR 3-D YOU WILL HAVE A BROWN OUT.
I BELONG TO FOUR LARGE CLUB SAND MOST OF THE PILOTS FLY GAS MOST ALL HAVE SWITCHED BACK TO FUTABA OR JR...

THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH THE SPEKTRUM RADIOS...THAT IS JUST WHAT EVERYONE ASSUMES.
100% OF THEIR PROBLEMS IS WITH THE BASIC METHODOLOGY OF THEIR RECEIVERS...

WE ARE CONFIDENT WE HAVE AN INEXPENSIVE FIX (TEMPOTARY)

I WISH IT WAS THE RADIO AND NOT THE RECEIVERS...I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR 70 YEARS AND NOW OWN OVER 150 AIRCRAFT. I WILL SELL ABOUT 100 OF THEM TO GET RECEIVERS LOL.

IF YOU DON'Y FLY BIG AIRPLANES YOU ARE PRETTY SAFE. DO NOT USE NISD BATTERYS...USE LIFE A123 WILL KEEP YOU OUT OF TROBLE UP TO A POINT.

GOOD LUCK.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:34 PM
stegl

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Wow, I sure wouln't have gone through two dozen airplanes just to prove a point the Spektrums have brown-out isues. I owuld have changed raidos after the 2nd or 3rd one.
Had a friend that wiped out a brand new aircraft and a brand new saito 100. Very experienced flyer... did his preflight ... had another experienced flyer do another preflight all checked out ok ... took off straight and level and just kept going .....straight and level until a very light wind gust caused the aircraft to do a slow roll right into the ground. Took his DX transmitter , receiver and servos and all worked on the field table.......Took his equipment home... let it sit for a day or two and then took a hammer to the transmitter and receiver. I asked him why he did that and not send it to Horizon H to get checked over and the reply was that he couldn't give it or sell it to anyone with a clear conscience even after being fixed. Bought my slightly used RDS8000 Airtronics off me and nary an issue since. THAT MY FRIENDS WAS HIS SOLUTION !
Old 09-10-2015, 04:21 PM
jetmaven

My question about satellite antennas was rhetorical .
I believe it was developed to address a deficiency within the system .
Wont touch it with a ten foot pole .
Old 09-10-2015, 07:08 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Jack, watch rcu..they show up once and a while...nothing wrong with the radio...buy what you want.

The receivers have a design flaw...the radio is fine...surprise !!! Spektrum has known this for years...they can't handle the amps...pretty simple fix if you know how. You can't fix it at home...don't even try ...horizon needs to replace any faulty receiver plus all your crashed planes because they did not disclose this before you purchased your radio.( and rx) especially the receivers...they have been bad for at least five years...maybe longer...never had this problem 9 years ago.

That's why you use a separate power buss for the servos... the receiver has its own separate battery pack, and the servos have their own battery pack, but on a power buss capable of handling the high current draw from several HV / digital servos.

Originally Posted by jetmaven
My question about satellite antennas was rhetorical .
I believe it was developed to address a deficiency within the system .
Wont touch it with a ten foot pole .

Jetmaven, the satellite antennas were designed to give more diversity to receiving the transmitted signal (Antenna Diversity)... 2.4 gigs is line of sight, meaning no obstructions between the two antennas (transmitter and receivers)... having satellite antennas is suppose to increase the receivers reception, less chance of a null zone where the receiver doesn't see the transmitted signal.

John M,
Old 09-10-2015, 07:09 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

I and a few of my friends certainly agree with you about Spectrum Rx's not being able to handle high amps. I say high while realizing I dont know exactly what the amp limit is because I didnt want to do a lot of testing or find out the hard way by watching a model turn into a lawn dart.
However, a buddy of mine flies with Spectrum gear and we got around the low amp bus problem by using a Power Board in his 60cc twin powered Sbach. Two LiFe batteries feed to the Power Board. Knock on wood - this sytem has been solid for well over a year now.
I forget exactly what Spectrum Rx.

Best Regards,
James

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.