Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Specktrum radios; why did you crash? Why did you have a "brown-out?"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Specktrum radios; why did you crash? Why did you have a "brown-out?"

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 05:39 AM
TOPGUN WINNER
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sro2004
I watched the trailer for Second Hand Lions. A story about two eccentric old men, who were supposedly bank robbers in their younger years. They somehow end up having their young nephew come live with them.

Kind of another dead end trying to make heads or tails of your story. I tried!

Unless...your Robert Duval?!?!?!
I don't think you watched the movie...The entire story was about two guys that led a life that other people could not imagine...The basis of the story was that 100% of what they said was true...and the proved it to the little kid...OK I can be Robert Duval and you can be the little kid and finally finds out the truth.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:55 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPGUN WINNER
second it keeps all my controls in the exact position when the brown out occures ...NOT a good thing. The reason being ,I am usually doing a violent 3-d maneuver with full 45 degree deflection...that holds for 3 to 4 seconds.NOT GOOD
You set your failsafes incorrectly then.

If you are using a receiver which supports preset failsafes (AR6255, AR6260, AR7610, and anything 8-channels or higher) then you remove the bind plug BEFORE putting the transmitter into bind mode. This will give you preset failsafes instead of hold-last. Hold-last is what you get when you leave the bind plug in until after you finish the bind process.

Not all receivers support presets. Except for the glider receivers (AR6250/6255/6260), all 4- and 6-channels support only hold-last. The glider receivers support only preset. On the others, you get to pick which mode you want, because things might not be what you think. On the new receivers (AR636, AR6350, AR7350, AR9350) you can set the failsafe mode of each channel individually using the phone/pc apps.

Andy
Old 09-18-2015, 05:55 AM
Turner2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick two cents: My spektrum receivers have a "safe" system that does two things if you have a brown out...
You use Spektrum receivers? I am stunned.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:01 AM
AndyKunz

HOW ABOUT IT ANDY. WHY DID YOU NOT DO IT AS STAFF ENGINEER FOR SPEKTRUM? RUN IT EXACTLY AS I DID AND YOU WILL BE OUT OF A JOB IF YOU POST IT. NOW THAT'S FUNNY. SEE YA LATER. STEP TWO IS COMING....
Well, you see, you didn't tell anybody EXACTLY what you did. That's what I've been saying all along. You did not provide adequate test procedures for anybody to actually duplicate your tests. Pons and Fleishman role models for you?

BUT if we use good batteries and switches, we have no problems. 100% perfect results. No issues whatsoever. I mean, we have guys flying $30,000 jets using our receivers and they're not having trouble.

If we we poor battery batteries or switches or small-gauge wire, we get brownouts. By poor batteries I mean 4-cell NiMH or NiCd, or high internal resistance. You know, the very things we've been telling people for years NOT to do. All you are doing is proving to the world that what we said is correct.

So we're still all waiting for you to share your fabulous insight into why 99% of our customers have no problems, but there are a few who do.

Andy
Old 09-18-2015, 07:21 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

Next day: Futaba is one of the few manufacturers that do not require satellites...i don't think they even make one.

They are expensive (not if you count crashes) but they are top of the line. I just can't afford one. If futaba gave me one i would fly nothing else. Period. They are fantastic radios.

My flying partner that almost killed a woman (missed her by 4 feet)with his dx-18 and ar-9110 or 9120 ( the latest one) just got a new futaba for under $600 including a receiver...he will be flying in competition this weekend. He is very excited and said "why did i ever switch to spektrum in the first place" he is back with futaba.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:25 AM
Boeing727
My Feedback: (1)

OK -- enough rhetoric Top Gun --------------you've managed to lengthen this thread beyond reasonable limits and have yet to provide
one iota of proof concerning ANY of your claims concerning the product in question -- and NO , I don't use Spectrum .
You can "make" your receiver fail at over 6 volts ?
You opened this thread -- now post your findings for all to absorb --- or drop the subject . Enough is enough .
Old 09-18-2015, 07:27 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

HEY ANDY, I HAVE A LOT OF RECEIVER BATTERIES WITH SPEKTRUMS NAME ON THEM...THEY CAME WITH RADIOS PACKAGES WHEN I BOUGHT THEM. THEY ARE ALL FUNKY LITTLE FOUR CELLS WITH LOW nAh RATINGS....

EXACTLY WHAT "BLACK PROGRAMS" DID YOU WORK ON..SORRY, BUT .I DON'T REMEMBER YOUR NAME.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:09 AM
jmiles1941

Originally Posted by init4fun
Really ? Where were you during Futaba's "Zero G. U .I D." debacle ????

You need to do a bit of reading before making such blanket assertions . Search both here and at RCG the words "Zero Guid" and then come back here and tell me how infallible Futaba radios are .

ALL companies occasionally get it wrong . There is no shame in a simple mistake . There IS shame , however , in knowing of a mistake and not correcting it . Futaba did an A+ job with their recall and my zero guid TX was replaced painlessly .

If there IS a provable problem with Spektrum RXs , well I hope they would do the same and replace any faulty equipment . The problem here in this thread is that without just outright putting the video out there for all to see , all the folks have to go on is the printed words of a man who has attacked just about everybody whose responded to this thread . It's kinda difficult to get folks to see eye to eye , when your punching them in the side of the head in the process !

Are Spektrum RXs flawed ? Who Knows ? Time will tell ......

Are you winning many "hearts and minds" ? Well , a quick read of all 13 pages of this mess would indicate , NOT !
that is the only problem I know of that futaba has had , but they replaced every Tx , why has Spektrum not done the same?? and replaced all the components that were and are still faulty !!!
Old 09-18-2015, 08:12 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My flying partner that almost killed a woman (missed her by 4 feet)with his dx-18 and ar-9110 or 9120 ( the latest one) just got a new futaba for under $600 including a receiver...he will be flying in competition this weekend. He is very excited and said "why did i ever switch to spektrum in the first place" he is back with futaba.
So lets see, we have discovered you don't know how to setup your fail safe so you changed the subject matter to this nonsense above. You have an ax to grind no doubt, at this point who gives a rats. Maybe all you really need now is a hug to help you dry up this sea of tears you've been shedding in CAPS while trying to get your point across without providing a shred of evidence you allegedly possess in the form of a video. Put it up, or shut up, it's time to move on.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 09-18-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:22 AM
jmiles1941

Next day: Futaba is one of the few manufacturers that do not require satellites...i don't think they even make one.

They are expensive (not if you count crashes) but they are top of the line. I just can't afford one. If futaba gave me one i would fly nothing else. Period. They are fantastic radios.

TGW you are correct Futaba does not require a satellite never has and never will , the new Futabas have their own chip which uses the entire 2.4 wave length , the chip locks on a signal and is constantly looking ahead for clean signal this goes on thru the entire sequence , so you never have a brownout only a signal jump and it occurs in a millisecond you will never notice the problem that is how Futaba ensures no signal loss or brown outs, . Any problems Futaba has encountered have been corrected immediately , and notified the customers of any issues , my new 14SG is a great radio which I trust with my $8000 dollar IMAC planes , I use all FASSTEST 6014 rx $170 each but they are worth it , the receiver and transmitter are talking to each other in real time constantly

Last edited by jmiles1941; 09-18-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:22 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

oops, I answered you and it was deleted...You have what problem with the Spektrum you do not own???? please help me to understand your reason or posting and doing so in a Political Incorrect manner.The Boeing 727 was one of my projects a long time ago.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:26 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

i have seen you fly...awesome!!! I guessed your plane at $10,000 great job...good luck in St Louis.at the Championships.

I would fly that exact set up if I could afford it...You will never have a Radio or Receiver problem.
Thanks for your input.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:01 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Really ? Where were you during Futaba's "Zero G. U .I D." debacle ????

You need to do a bit of reading before making such blanket assertions . Search both here and at RCG the words "Zero Guid" and then come back here and tell me how infallible Futaba radios are .

ALL companies occasionally get it wrong . There is no shame in a simple mistake . There IS shame , however , in knowing of a mistake and not correcting it . Futaba did an A+ job with their recall and my zero guid TX was replaced painlessly .

If there IS a provable problem with Spektrum RXs , well I hope they would do the same and replace any faulty equipment . The problem here in this thread is that without just outright putting the video out there for all to see , all the folks have to go on is the printed words of a man who has attacked just about everybody whose responded to this thread . It's kinda difficult to get folks to see eye to eye , when your punching them in the side of the head in the process !

Are Spektrum RXs flawed ? Who Knows ? Time will tell ......

Are you winning many "hearts and minds" ? Well , a quick read of all 13 pages of this mess would indicate , NOT !
Originally Posted by jmiles1941
that is the only problem I know of that futaba has had , but they replaced every Tx , why has Spektrum not done the same?? and replaced all the components that were and are still faulty !!!
If I recall that wasn't directly futaba's fault; that was the chip manufacture's screw up... just as with the potentiometer fiasco with spektrum... somethings are just out of the control of the developers when you out sourced component manufacturing, especially once they begin a production run... it was handled as diligently as could be expected.

John M,
Old 09-18-2015, 10:33 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

Originally Posted by sensei
So lets see, we have discovered you don't know how to setup your fail safe so you you change the subject matter to this nonsense above. You have an ax to grind no doubt, at this point who gives a rats. Maybe all you really need now is a hug to help you dry up this sea of tears you've been shedding in CAPS while trying to get your point across without providing a shred of evidence you allegedly possess in the form of a video. Put it up, or shut up, it's time to move on.

Bob
How would you like to compare your set up with one of mine...say for whatever you can afford...The Judges will be The man I spoke about will be flying in national Competition this week end.. I want to see your response for telling him it's a bunch of nonsense that he almost killed someone...What on earth is wrong with you.

That would have resulted in a Deep Pocket Lawsuit and our friend Andy would not be working any longer.

What about the family that could have lost a wife and mother...You think that is "NONSENSE"?

I am trying to save Spektrum and you are trying to shut them down....What gives with you? You don't seem to understand how serious this is. I would love to see you tell me to "SHUT UP" and be face to face. I have noticed all you black hats are real aggressive on the email stuff.

Let's quit trying to destroy Spektrum and solve the problem...Why did you not run a simple 15 min test and then tell everyone what you found...is it the same reason Andy did not do it. I have got a PC full of PM's that are all positive and really want to know what's wrong ...

i do not and never had an "ax to Grind" I don't have any problems crashing any more airplanes...you do !!

You and Andy want to destroy Spektrum...So be it...I will post a few of my tests it only takes two or three to put the nail in the coffin...I you don't understand that, I am sure you will very soon. I love my Spektrum Transmitter and will use it until I die....I will use my Spektrum Rx but only with my backup plan.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:03 AM
Robert Sprague
My Feedback: (21)

been flying spektrum 8 years (dsm2 DX6i to dsmx DX9), both plank and heli hard 3d and never had a "brown out"
Old 09-18-2015, 11:28 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Sprague
been flying spektrum 8 years (dsm2 DX6i to dsmx DX9), both plank and heli hard 3d and never had a "brown out"
I bought a cheap 9 channel Chinese radio for my foamies. I flew it for 4 years in 6 airplanes without a glitch. I even recommended it to anyone who asked. Then the TX failed and I crashed two in a row. (I do know the difference between pilot error and loss of signal.)

A flying buddy liked to use "Easy Connectors" on his flight control pushrods. He flew with those for years and told everyone that they were perfect because they made adjusting the length of the pushrods so easy. Then he had one loosen up and he crashed in the pits.

When you make a statement like the above you should always end it with "yet".
Old 09-18-2015, 12:35 PM
TOPGUN WINNER

Originally Posted by Robert Sprague
That's great !!! Please enlighten us as to what aircraft exactly / what receiver / what servos / how many servos / gas, nitro or electric.? I have a mini SU-55 that I can say the exact same thing about...just want to be exactly sure what you said.

tHANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR IMPUT. NOT YELLING...JUST IMPORTANT TO SAY THAT.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:48 PM
AndyKunz

HEY ANDY, I HAVE A LOT OF RECEIVER BATTERIES WITH SPEKTRUMS NAME ON THEM...THEY CAME WITH RADIOS PACKAGES WHEN I BOUGHT THEM. THEY ARE ALL FUNKY LITTLE FOUR CELLS WITH LOW nAh RATINGS....
And we stopped doing that I believe 4-5 years ago, IIRC. So you have old stuff. Are these the old batteries you're using in your videos?

Andy
Old 09-18-2015, 01:01 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

How would you like to compare your set up with one of mine...say for whatever you can afford...The Judges will be The man I spoke about will be flying in national Competition this week end.. I want to see your response for telling him it's a bunch of nonsense that he almost killed someone...What on earth is wrong with you.

That would have resulted in a Deep Pocket Lawsuit and our friend Andy would not be working any longer.

What about the family that could have lost a wife and mother...You think that is "NONSENSE"?

I am trying to save Spektrum and you are trying to shut them down....What gives with you? You don't seem to understand how serious this is. I would love to see you tell me to "SHUT UP" and be face to face. I have noticed all you black hats are real aggressive on the email stuff.

Let's quit trying to destroy Spektrum and solve the problem...Why did you not run a simple 15 min test and then tell everyone what you found...is it the same reason Andy did not do it. I have got a PC full of PM's that are all positive and really want to know what's wrong ...

i do not and never had an "ax to Grind" I don't have any problems crashing any more airplanes...you do !!

You and Andy want to destroy Spektrum...So be it...I will post a few of my tests it only takes two or three to put the nail in the coffin...I you don't understand that, I am sure you will very soon. I love my Spektrum Transmitter and will use it until I die....I will use my Spektrum Rx but only with my backup plan.
The only nonsense I was speaking of is your presentation throughout this entire thread, you have added sensationalism, shouting, name calling and riddles, but no resolve. So lets not change the subject matter of what I was actually stating. I don't know what your actual agenda is but I will tell you this, you have talked allot of smack, called allot of names and even brought theater into this, add that to the fact you are taking so long to present video of anything that I for one don't believe you currently have video and when and if you do finally show something I believe it would be a doctored video of something you have just fabricated to make your case in point. Just imagine you are the noble spokes person that is trying to save Spektrum and we are evil forces trying to run it in the ground. Here's your sign...

Bob
Old 09-18-2015, 01:12 PM
Jack_K

My feeling is: If you don't like Spektrum, don't buy it. If you like Spektrum, then buy it.

But either way, expressing your opinion and yelling here accomplishes nothing that I can see. I fly Spektrum.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:58 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

If everyone stops bating this nut maybe he will go away
Old 09-18-2015, 04:30 PM
Turner2

Next day: Futaba is one of the few manufacturers that do not require satellites..
Satellites, they are actually remote receivers, are not a requirement. They are an enhancement that improves reception reliability. The more the better.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:40 PM
jetmaven

How's that reception reliability working out ?
Old 09-18-2015, 04:47 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Great !
Old 09-18-2015, 04:47 PM
jmiles1941

Originally Posted by John_M_
If I recall that wasn't directly futaba's fault; that was the chip manufacture's screw up... just as with the potentiometer fiasco with spektrum... somethings are just out of the control of the developers when you out sourced component manufacturing, especially once they begin a production run... it was handled as diligently as could be expected.

John M,
you are correct John but Futaba stepped up and made it right that is what I was trying to say , thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.