Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Specktrum radios; why did you crash? Why did you have a "brown-out?"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Specktrum radios; why did you crash? Why did you have a "brown-out?"

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 03:15 PM
Turner2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketman612
...There has to be something flawed in the Tx, Rx or how the signal is processed...
Or maybe with the installation.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:11 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not a Spectrum guy. I use a Futaba R6014 in my Sprint with careful placement of the antenna. No issues. I had looked in this Viper at the Rx and Satellite and they appeared to me to be in "clean" spaces before the flight. Like I said the pilot is experienced.

Pete
Old 09-19-2015, 04:32 PM
Turner2

There is a lot more to it than just antenna placement. It's amazing that anytime people crash it's always assumed to be the radio when in reality the real cause is something else.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:39 PM
boater
My Feedback: (2)

Just as a sidenote, wet (nitro and Gasoline) RC boaters use very few Spektrum systems, here on the Left Coast and from what I read on the wet boating forum it holds true across the nation. Futaba Faast has been by far the favorite. Even the cheap Chinese pistol radios outnumber and work better than the Spektrums in boats. The Chinese systems would be far more popular if they didn't need to be rebound when switching to a different model in the memory. There is a smattering of other freq hopping radios. I use an Airtronics RDS-8000 cause I use a stick radio, early Airtronics pistol grips weren't working, FHSS-3(surface) and later seem to be working. Cheaper Futaba Freq hopping systems like FHSS seem to be working.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:10 AM
TOPGUN WINNER
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by john_m_
i don't like to daisy chain a bunch of electronic devices together... If the bec were to fail you'll loose the aircraft anyways... I just pick the battery chemistry that will support the voltage requirements of the device its connected to... Never had an issue using nimh batteries for the servos, as long as the solder tabs on the cells are done right, there shouldn't be any issues... I use 5 3000 mah sub-c hi discharge cells, and there's plenty of capacity to feed 8 servos across two servo busses... Two 2300 mah a123 life cells gives me 6.6 volts (normal charge voltage), which is more than plenty for two r7008sb receivers to draw from, 140 mah combined... The less connected, means the less that can go wrong... Call me paranoid, but i came up through the years when murphy's law was on your back, and just a matter of time until you drew the short straw... I just like to keep it simple and safe as possible.

John m,
i agree with john 100%...i use a battery spot welder and have made battery packs for years...never a problem.

However, this post is about receivers that can not handle the load with the servo power coming through the receiver and not a separate power supply.. Thanks john, ggod post.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:25 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

Originally Posted by turner2
it's working great. Never lost a craft from brownout or loss of signal. Fly from ultra micro to 65" planes and 450 heli. Dx5e and old dx7.

with what you are flying you should never have a brown out...thanks for you input. Dx-5e are sometimes used for simulators and as abuddy box...never seen anyone actually fly a plane on one all by it'self
Old 09-20-2015, 03:54 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

Originally Posted by kdunlap
Sorry, to disagree, but luck has nothing to do with it. First, I make sure that the voltage from my regulator or BEC is perfectly matched to the voltage required by the servos. This is done to .1 volts. Next, I make sure that the total voltage and normal load of all servos operating matches or exceeds the capacity of the voltage regulator. Next, I roughly calculate the load required with 2 servos stalled (usually 50% of the servos on the plane) and add that to the normal load. This gives me the minimum size voltage regulator I should be flying with. Next, I use a battshare (or on one plane I use two Tech-aero voltage regulators in parallel set .25 volts apart) and connect two batteries to the voltage regulator. This gives me a hot spare battery. Then I test eveything to make sure that the receiver is getting proper voltage. Please note that I don't use a receiver switch. I just plug/unplug the batteries. If you decide to use a battery switch make sure that it is fail safe on. Don't know if this is perfect, but it ensures that the receiver is powered with good clean DC regardless the load on the servos. Oh yeah, I also make sure I understand how many mah are pulled from the battery during each flight. Typically, it is about 300mah per flight. So, I make sure that I don't draw my batteries down too far. 1100 mah pack with give me about 3 flights. I use 2S lipo or LIFE or 3S lipo. No reason, just whatever I had handy.

I am interested to see not only how you duplicate the failure, but the test conditions as well. I would be willing to try whatever you are doing on one of my planes to test your results. So, please provide your electrical setup as well as any video. Also, charge on battery, servos used, etc. Free this weekend.

Happy to do a comparison and see what happens.
Ken

KEN, YOU OBVIOUSLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND YOU FLY BIG AIRPLANES...HOWEVER, THAT IS NOT WHAT THIS POST IS ABOUT.

IT IS ABOUT RECEIVERS THAT CAN NOT SUPPORT AS LITTLE AS 3 SPEKTRUM DIGITAL SERVOS WHILE GETTING POWER THROUGH THE RECEIVER...ANYONE THAT I KNOW CAN SET UP A SEPERATE POWER BUS FOR THE SERVOS AND A SEPERATE BATTERY FOR THE RECEIVER AND FLY A $10,000 AIRPLANE.

I AM TALKING ABOUT YOUNG PILOTS THAT CRASH THEIR PLANES BECAUSE OF BROWN OUTS CAUSED BY SPEKTRUM RECEIVERS...I CAN FLY MY GIANT 155" AIRPLANES WITH MY SPEKTRUM TRANSMITTERS AND EVEN MY SPEKTRUM RECEIVERS WITH NO PROBLEM..

HOWEVER, I CAN NOT USE A SINGLE BATTERY,(NO MATTER WHAT SIZE OT TYPE) AND GET MY SERVO POWER THROUGH THE RECEIVER. IT TAKES A SEPARATE BATTERY AND ON BIG STUFF I PREFER TO SEE DUAL RECEIVERS..( EASY TO SET UP WITH MY SPEKTRUM RADIO)

I HAVE NO PROBLEM FLYING 8 FULL SIZE SERVOS THROUGH THE RECEIVER WITH A SINGLE BATTERY WITH A FUTABA, TARANUS, JR OR ORANGE RECEIVER. ONLY SPEKTRUM IS INCAPABLE OF DOING THAT. MY QUESTION IS SIMPLE " WHY DON'T YOU FIX IT?"

YOUR FIRMWARE IS LACKING AND YOUR MOTHER BOARD IS A BAD DESIGN. THEY BOTH HAVE A PROBLEM SUPPORTING SEVERAL FULL SIZE SERVOS. SPEKTRUM...RUN MY SIMPLE TEST YOURSELF. YOU COMPARE YOUR Rx AGAINST EVERYONE ELSE..PASS OR FAIL...YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE THAT FAILED IN ALL MY TESTING. YOU CAN NOT DO A "FUNCTION TEST" WRONG UNLESS YOU LIE ABOUT THE RESULTS.bUT THEN, ANYONE THAT RUNS THE TEST WILL KNOW YOU LIED AND CAN EASILY PROVE IT IN A COURT OF LAW. tHAT IS, IF YOU ARE DUMD ENOUGH TO LET IT GET THAT FAR.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:13 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

Buy a tactic.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:45 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
to the op.
With all of these brown outs; after the receiver shuts down and then the receiver comes back on , the led in the receiver is lit solid.....correct?
there is a post on this thread that explaines which receiver blinks telling you how many brown outs you have had and which one just comes back solid.

Look for the post with the video showing a spektrum receiver...very well done
Old 09-20-2015, 06:35 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

Originally Posted by Malydilnar
I personally have never had problems with spektrum nor older JR systems browning out. Whenever I see others having issues however, they are mostly due to bad receiver batteries or regulators. Just my 2 cents
OK THANKS FOR YOUR QUOTE. REGULATORS ARE USED IN MY BIG GAS PLANES NOT THE KIND OF PLANES WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.

THIS IS ABOUT BROWN OUTS IN SMALL TO MEDIUM SIZE PLANES THAT USE 5 OR 6 FULL SIZE SERVOS AND ARE FLOWN AGGRESSIVELY LIKE 3-D. WE ARE NOT DISCUSSING FOAMY AIRCRAFT WITH MICRO SERVOS LIKE ANDY'S PROFILE SAYS HE FLYS. THEY NEVER HAVE BROWN OUTS. NEITHER DO MY BIG AIRCRAFT WITH DUAL SERVOS, POWER BUSES, 5000mAh LIPO BATTERIES WITH REGULATORS AND BATTERIES FOR SERVOS AND BATTERIES FOR RECEIVERS (DUAL RECEIVERS)

THIS IS FOR THE GUY THAT IS NOT RICH, DOSEN'T HAVE $50,000 WORTH OF AIRPLANES AND DOE NOT FLY$65,000 AIRPLANES.

IT IS FOR THE AVERAGE PILOT...NOT THE BOTTOM OF THE FOOD CHAIN AND NOT THE TOP. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE NIMH POWER SUPPY ( 5 CELL. 6VOLT 2,000mAh MIN,) OR A A-123 WITH A 3-D PLANE UP TO SAY 60" SPAN WITH 6 SERVOS. rUN THOSE SIX SERVOS THROUGH THE RECEIVER AND NOT WORRY ABOUT A BROWN OT...IS THAT SO BAD? WE HAVE PROVEN YOU VAN DO THAT WITH FUTABA, JR. ORANGE AND TARANUS RECEIVERS. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BELIEVE THAT RUN THE TEST YOURSELF. PAGE 7 TELLS EXACTLY HOW TO DO IT. SO AS THEY SAY "PUT UP OR SHUT UP" THEY CAN SAY THAT HOWEVER I AM NOT SURE IF IT'DS OK FOR ME TO SAY THE SAME THING.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:40 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Geesh, reading all these re-quoted and repetitive posts I feel like I'm at an rc club meeting !
Old 09-20-2015, 07:11 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

Originally Posted by geeter
buy a tactic.

good radio. However i prefer my taranus plus..
Old 09-20-2015, 08:43 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Originally Posted by Turner2
There is a lot more to it than just antenna placement. It's amazing that anytime people crash it's always assumed to be the radio when in reality the real cause is something else.
LOL...exactly. can't remember the last time at my club I heard someone admit to 'dumb thumbs.' For sure NONE of the other jet guys. Nosiree, couldn't be "pilot error", has to be that dadgum radio or receiver!

I'll admit to it, though. And I'll say this: I don't think any of my, ahem, mishaps, have been the radio or receiver's fault. Once I had an elevator hinge fail (that was factory-installed), but other than that, I'm pretty sure it's been all me...but I religiously follow the manufacturer's radio/receiver setup and operating instructions so that hopefully it IS me that's the weak link.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:01 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo
LOL...exactly. can't remember the last time at my club I heard someone admit to 'dumb thumbs.' For sure NONE of the other jet guys. Nosiree, couldn't be "pilot error", has to be that dadgum radio or receiver!

I'll admit to it, though. And I'll say this: I don't think any of my, ahem, mishaps, have been the radio or receiver's fault. Once I had an elevator hinge fail (that was factory-installed), but other than that, I'm pretty sure it's been all me...but I religiously follow the manufacturer's radio/receiver setup and operating instructions so that hopefully it IS me that's the weak link.
I ALSO BELONGED TO A CLUB WHERE ALMOST EVERYONE FLEW JETS. YOU DON'T FLY JETS, IMAC OR PATTERN UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO SET AUP AN AIRCRAFT AND BE SAFE.

I WOULD BE AMAZED IF YOU EVER CRASHED FROM RADIO PROBLEMS.WE USE ALL THE TOYS AVAILABLE IN THOSE AIRCRAFT.

THIS IS ABOUT YOUNG GUYS AND NEWBIES THAT EXPECT TO BUY A RADIO AND HAVE IT FLY LIKE THEIR FRIENDS FUTABA, JR, TARANIS, ETC...THE SPEKTRUM RECEIVER WITH SIX FULL SIZE OR DIGITAL SERVOS PLUGGED INTO HAS PROBLEMS.

ONLY THE RECEIVERS ARE BAD Rx CAUSES THE BROWN OUT. NOT THE Tx.

PAGE 7 TELLS YOU HOW A TYPICAL CLUB FLYERS AIRPLANE IS SET UP...WE TESTD ALL COMPATIBLE Rx WITH THE SPEKTRUM Tx AND GUESS WHAT...ONLY THE SPEKTRUM RECEIVERS FAILED.

CAN YOU AND I MAKE THEM WORK? ABSOLUTELY !!! NO PROBLEM. SHOULD WE BE REQUIRED TO ADD ALL THE EXTRA STUFF TO MAKE SPEKTRUM WORK? NO WAY...USE A JR OR ORANGE RECEIVER. SAVE YOUR SPEKTRUM RECEIVER TO USE WITH YOUR LARGEST AIRCRAFT: JET, IMAC OR PATTERN

USE THE WORK AROUNDS THAT YOU AND OTHERS HAVE PRESCRIBED AND NO PROBLEM..BUT YOU MUST HAVE A SECOND BATTERY TO ISOLATE YOUR SPEKTRUM TX FROM YOUR POWER SUPPLY..
Old 09-20-2015, 09:03 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

Originally Posted by TOPGUN WINNER
I ALSO BELONGED TO A CLUB WHERE ALMOST EVERYONE FLEW JETS. YOU DON'T FLY JETS, IMAC OR PATTERN UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO SET AUP AN AIRCRAFT AND BE SAFE.

I WOULD BE AMAZED IF YOU EVER CRASHED FROM RADIO PROBLEMS.WE USE ALL THE TOYS AVAILABLE IN THOSE AIRCRAFT.

THIS IS ABOUT YOUNG GUYS AND NEWBIES THAT EXPECT TO BUY A RADIO AND HAVE IT FLY LIKE THEIR FRIENDS FUTABA, JR, TARANIS, ETC...THE SPEKTRUM RECEIVER WITH SIX FULL SIZE OR DIGITAL SERVOS PLUGGED INTO HAS PROBLEMS.

ONLY THE RECEIVERS ARE BAD Rx CAUSES THE BROWN OUT. NOT THE Tx.

PAGE 7 TELLS YOU HOW A TYPICAL CLUB FLYERS AIRPLANE IS SET UP...WE TESTD ALL COMPATIBLE Rx WITH THE SPEKTRUM Tx AND GUESS WHAT...ONLY THE SPEKTRUM RECEIVERS FAILED.

CAN YOU AND I MAKE THEM WORK? ABSOLUTELY !!! NO PROBLEM. SHOULD WE BE REQUIRED TO ADD ALL THE EXTRA STUFF TO MAKE SPEKTRUM WORK? NO WAY...USE A JR OR ORANGE RECEIVER. SAVE YOUR SPEKTRUM RECEIVER TO USE WITH YOUR LARGEST AIRCRAFT: JET, IMAC OR PATTERN

USE THE WORK AROUNDS THAT YOU AND OTHERS HAVE PRESCRIBED AND NO PROBLEM..BUT YOU MUST HAVE A SECOND BATTERY TO ISOLATE YOUR SPEKTRUM TX FROM YOUR POWER SUPPLY..
TYPO: NOT YOUR Tx FROM POWER SUPPLY IT MUST SEPARATE YOUR Rx FROM THE POWER SUPPLY...SORRY
Old 09-20-2015, 09:04 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i agree with john 100%...i use a battery spot welder and have made battery packs for years...never a problem.

However, this post is about receivers that can not handle the load with the servo power coming through the receiver and not a separate power supply.. Thanks john, ggod post.

Well the battery pack can be also source of a brown out if the spot welds on the solder tabs are not completely bonded... I've had solder tabs pull off with very little effort... with poor spot welds on the solder tabs, will not pass hi current when the demand is placed on them... also fewer spot welds is not good either, as the current only flows through the area of the spot welds... so you may look at that wide solder tab and think it's capable of passing 10-15 amps, when in fact those few poorly attached spot welds will barely pass 5 amps... its an area that is overlooked... you have to think of those spot welds as you do wire gauge, smaller gauge wire will pass less current than a larger gauge wire will... so what I do, is to use low temp silver solder over the solder tabs, making sure to clean the area of the cell ends around the tab and the tab itself and flow solder over the spot welds and cell ends... sometimes I find the solder tabs are nickel plated, and the plating can peel off, when I find that happening, I won't use that brand again.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 09-20-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:24 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Funny , on anything over parkflyer size , I always used separate power supplies for the RX and servos . Mostly because , and this is from WAY before digital servos came out , If you ever put an oscilloscope on the RX power in leads , and move the TX sticks to get a few servos moving , the spikes and general electrical noise the servos put on the line was sobering to say the least ! When the servos were moved to their own battery and the RX allowed to have it's own battery , the scope's view of the voltage at the receiver's input was a straight DC line with no ripple or spikes whatsoever . Of course , it was the sparking of the brushes on the servo motor's commutator that was causing the electrical chaff , so maybe modern brushless servos would be free of this issue . The fact will still remain that the current draw of modern servos , whether they throw off spikes or not , has grown to the point where any more than parkflyer compliment (4 or 5 servos max) really has to run a better power supply than the "just good enough" 4 cell pack that ruled the hobby since the Kraft days .

Of course , to those of us who hail from the days where radios had "A" "B" and "C" batteries , the idea of separate power supplies is really nothing new ......

(A = Filament , B = plate , and C = grid bias voltages in the old tube radios I collect)
Old 09-20-2015, 10:05 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

And , to add to my previous post ;

It really doesn't need to be complicated at all . Here is my Eflight Bonanza with a .25 glow equivalent brushless outrunner and 3 cell Lipo . This little model , just over parkflyer sized really , has 7 servos plus 3 electric self contained retracts for a total of 9 motor operated devices that would have had to pull power through the RX's power buss to operate . In NO way was I going to trust the RX's power buss , nor the single 3 amp BEC in the ESC for that matter , to power all that ! So , with just the addition of a Castle 10A BEC I have all the power needed if I happen to operate the retracts at the same time as the flaps . The way it now works is that the ESC's BEC powers the RX only , and the stand alone Castle BEC powers the servos only . With this setup the RX is assured to never see the draw of the servos dragging it's operating voltage too low , and thus the dreaded brown out is avoided .

Simple , really
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BEC 1.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	733.8 KB
ID:	2120864   Click image for larger version

Name:	BEC 2.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	575.1 KB
ID:	2120865   Click image for larger version

Name:	BEC 3.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	669.8 KB
ID:	2120866   Click image for larger version

Name:	BEC 4.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	711.0 KB
ID:	2120867  
Old 09-20-2015, 10:27 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I could show pictures of my installation, I have a 1/4 scale H9 super cub as my current weekly flyer, but the majority of the installation; the two servo busses, battery packs, etc, are under the floor deck, with the interior kit installed, its a bear to get at... my scale 1/4 J3 cub is even worse, everything is hidden out of view, either behind the rear seat in the fuselage, or in the root of the wings... I'll have to take pictures the next time I have it opened up... I'll be doing a recap thread soon on the J3 cub, showing the transformation of my 15 year old 1/4 sig cub, into a full scale looking J3 cub.

John M,
Old 09-20-2015, 11:24 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Originally Posted by init4fun

It really doesn't need to be complicated at all .
This is also spot on!!

I'm a big fan of the K.I.S.S. principle. I run dual Hangtimes NoBS LiFe's through a Fromeco Wolverine switch in my jets. So far it has worked just fine for me.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:04 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by rowdog_14
I like the concept of spectrum but I am 31 and still fly FM. I have all my planes/helis on JR scanselect. I have a JR XP7202 that I do not plan on replacing anytime soon. When I go out to the fields people look at me like I am crazy and I do not mind because I have NEVER had an issue with FM. I have seen and heard of my fair share of Spectrum issues back when the DX7 and the XP7202 where selling together. I know this is not about FM but if it is not broke do not fix it. FM until I am required to change
rowdog_14;
As Yogi used to say "Your Smarter than the Average Bear". The only reason I gave up my Futaba SAP 9 is I wanted to try Telemetry. and HiTec Aurora 9 seemed to be the best 5 years ago.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:24 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Unless he flies RC I would not know him. SORRY MY FRIEND. WANT ME TO HAVE HIM CHECKED OUT?
Thanks but no thanks just thought might know some one I know ... It's really a small world some times. Heck the population of WR is only 72,531
Old 09-20-2015, 04:00 PM
Turner2

...Dx-5e are sometimes used for simulators and as abuddy box...never seen anyone actually fly a plane on one all by it'self
Wow, you mean I'm the only one in the whole world? You know when you say lame things like this you really lose credibility.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:16 PM
Turner2

OK THANKS FOR YOUR QUOTE. REGULATORS ARE USED IN MY BIG GAS PLANES NOT THE KIND OF PLANES WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.

THIS IS ABOUT BROWN OUTS IN SMALL TO MEDIUM SIZE PLANES THAT USE 5 OR 6 FULL SIZE SERVOS AND ARE FLOWN AGGRESSIVELY LIKE 3-D. WE ARE NOT DISCUSSING FOAMY AIRCRAFT WITH MICRO SERVOS LIKE ANDY'S PROFILE SAYS HE FLYS. THEY NEVER HAVE BROWN OUTS. NEITHER DO MY BIG AIRCRAFT WITH DUAL SERVOS, POWER BUSES, 5000mAh LIPO BATTERIES WITH REGULATORS AND BATTERIES FOR SERVOS AND BATTERIES FOR RECEIVERS (DUAL RECEIVERS)

THIS IS FOR THE GUY THAT IS NOT RICH, DOSEN'T HAVE $50,000 WORTH OF AIRPLANES AND DOE NOT FLY$65,000 AIRPLANES.

IT IS FOR THE AVERAGE PILOT...NOT THE BOTTOM OF THE FOOD CHAIN AND NOT THE TOP. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE NIMH POWER SUPPY ( 5 CELL. 6VOLT 2,000mAh MIN,) OR A A-123 WITH A 3-D PLANE UP TO SAY 60" SPAN WITH 6 SERVOS. rUN THOSE SIX SERVOS THROUGH THE RECEIVER AND NOT WORRY ABOUT A BROWN OT...IS THAT SO BAD? WE HAVE PROVEN YOU VAN DO THAT WITH FUTABA, JR. ORANGE AND TARANUS RECEIVERS. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BELIEVE THAT RUN THE TEST YOURSELF. PAGE 7 TELLS EXACTLY HOW TO DO IT. SO AS THEY SAY "PUT UP OR SHUT UP" THEY CAN SAY THAT HOWEVER I AM NOT SURE IF IT'DS OK FOR ME TO SAY THE SAME THING.
Here again you readily admit that what ever Rx you use in your big ass planes (ooops was that gas?) it is not capable of dealing with the amperage draw of the servos without a power buss, regulator, dual Rx's, and dual batteries, one each for the Rx and servos. So where is the cutoff? With all the different servos on the market and different builders who may or may not choose servos wisely and different servo counts, different linkage arrangements how can you say that any given plane may or may not need one or all of these additional protections? You can't, of course and this whole thread is a bunch of nonsense claiming that there is some issue with one brand when the truth is with any new air frame you must make sure you have an adequate power supply for your Rx and servos according to the actual current drawn by the servos during the type of flight anticipated.

There is only one positive from this thread and that is to further inform all who take the time to read it that you must supply adequate power to your electronics and if you read this thread and others and the Rx owners guide there are fairly easy ways to test your system and economical solutions to all possible systems.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:54 PM
jmiles1941

Originally Posted by init4fun

It really doesn't need to be complicated at all . Here is my Eflight Bonanza with a .25 glow equivalent brushless outrunner and 3 cell Lipo . This little model , just over parkflyer sized really , has 7 servos plus 3 electric self contained retracts for a total of 9 motor operated devices that would have had to pull power through the RX's power buss to operate . In NO way was I going to trust the RX's power buss , nor the single 3 amp BEC in the ESC for that matter , to power all that ! So , with just the addition of a Castle 10A BEC I have all the power needed if I happen to operate the retracts at the same time as the flaps . The way it now works is that the ESC's BEC powers the RX only , and the stand alone Castle BEC powers the servos only . With this setup the RX is assured to never see the draw of the servos dragging it's operating voltage too low , and thus the dreaded brown out is avoided .

Simple , really
sheesh those are park flier servos heck they don't draw anything !!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.