Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Specktrum radios; why did you crash? Why did you have a "brown-out?"

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Specktrum radios; why did you crash? Why did you have a "brown-out?"

Old 09-23-2015, 09:03 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TOPGUN WINNER
NOT HOW I DO IT: I RUN DUAL RECEIVERS AT THE SAME TIME. I CAN STILL LAND THE PLANE IF ONE OF THE RADIOS FAIL. I RUN DUAL SERVOS ON EVERYTHING IN A LARGE PLANE aS MANY AS SIX ON JUST THE AILERONS. YOU SPLIT THEM UP ON EACH RECEIVER SO YOU CAN STILL FLY IF ONE GOES OUR...NEVER HAD THAT HAPPEN...JUST BEING SAFE. GOOD INPUT.
How in the world can U run 2 Spectrum Receivers when the system has "Model Match" and the Transmitter will only talk to one receiver at a time. Do U use Dual Xmitters some how. From every thing I read here it's a "POWER" problem in the RX, Correct?

According to HiTec support, My HiTec RCD Aurora 9 can only talk to one receiver at a time, even if both receivers are linked (Bound) to the same transmitter.

Oh well I guess if U trust something go for it. Any system can fail at any time for many reasons. Some just a little more often than others.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:10 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPGUN WINNER
You aren't much of a "GOOGLER" are you...I see that all of you kids "GOOGLE" ABOUT EVERYTHING. So does my son who is a Genius on Computers.

Let see...Bob Smith exec VP Rockwell over all B-1 and B1B design and build. Took over Northrup B-2 Program when Northrup was in the hole by twenty billion dollars. (1967 I think...not exactly sure) Gave them a five year Contract and Flew the first B-2 Bomber on his Five year Plan.
World wide Consultant to Fortune Fifty Companies. My friend for 40 years and a true gentleman. Like me...Retired may be dead by

now...don't talk anymore.

NOW , TELL US YOUR SUCCESS STORY...YOU CONTRIBUTED WHAT EXACTLY?
OK I just love it when asked my credentials
BS EE University of Nebraska
10 years The General Electric Co. as a tech rep in the country of Norway
20 years The Boeing Co.
20 years Consultant to the Aerospace Industry.
During my consultant years I worked twice on the B1 and once on the B2.
None of my charts of executives show a Bob Smith.
I gogled .Bob Smith exec VP Rockwell
I got nothing except a few ludikin bob smith.
If your son can google something about him pleas have him provide me with a link. I am always happy to learn something new.

Last edited by dirtybird; 09-23-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:28 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an observer to this thread something troubling came to mind. It is perplexing that someone that is condescending and struggles with grammar and punctuation could be involved with planes, missiles, and other items that affect the lives of others. If any reasonable percentage of the information has any factual basis it is alarming and carries much more danger than a Spektrum radio "brown out" could ever carry.

Some questions for the Spektrum haters. BTW, I have both Futaba and Spektrum and have no issues or bias to either. Now for the questions: If Spektrum has these issues why are there folks out there like me that don't have the problems? Did we somehow get better units? Was the assembly line tooling somehow different on the Spektrum equipment that I have? I believe there must be a qualifying answer as I have flown probably around 1500 to 2000 flights with Spektrum radios and Spektrum receivers. That is certainly enough flights to have had the "brown out" problem. BTW, my Futaba equipment rocks too

Ponder for a moment and engage in good discussion.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:31 AM
KEVPAULJ

yeah the day of the second 'brown out' was a test day as far as high level turns across the feild with simple manuevers in case it happened again. thinking i solved the problem with a fourth-over on all connections and replacing and rerouting the Rx and with a successful first flight i gassed up and took off to actually fly the thing and out of nowhere it browned out or whatever the case may be. not enough power through the loose connector inside the Tx? multiple bad Rx's? my belief in the Tx is the power wires from the battery case to the ckt board are over 1/2 and inch shorter than the other wires on the back case half that they are interwoven with and i have to partially close the halves together in order to fully seat the power connector which makes me think that's the soft release sound i heard when i initially pulled it apart. sounds like a simple solution to my problem but what are the other problems i haven't found yet. too many maybes and posts on this topic to ever think of spektrum again. any recommendations for 8+ channel tx's or rx's would be appreciated
Old 09-23-2015, 09:33 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by John_M_
The only way the trace would burn is if there was a dead short at the receiver pin connector, or a device connected to it were to draw an excessive amount of current, and the trace couldn't handle the current load... as the voltage sags there's not enough voltage to drive the servos, so the current drops... the receiver reboots as the voltage drops down below 3.x volts... I would think something upstream to the receiver, the switch, wire, connectors, or the battery itself is not passing the current demand downstream... a std "J" connector is stated to pass 3 amps continuous... if the servos were to draw more than that, the servo mfg's would have used heavy gauge wire and connectors.... there's definitely a bottel neck somewhere in the circuit causing the brown out.

John M,

Thank You John for responding to my post , it seems at least a couple of us want to have an intelligent conversation regarding voltage drop in RC model control systems but the greater majority here would rather go on bragging about their "cred" . All the chest thumping and bravado aside , I believe there is an issue , and like you I believe that issue is the "bottleneck" caused by the current carrying abilities of the entire system not being upgraded along with the corresponding increases in servo draw that modern servo development have brought . The entire system of battery (or ESC) , wiring , switches , and any other devices used has to be able to handle the increased draw . Whats happening at the RX is the symptom of the failure to deliver the needed current and I'm not ready to condemn the RX as being that weak link .
Old 09-23-2015, 09:49 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
How in the world can U run 2 Spectrum Receivers when the system has "Model Match" and the Transmitter will only talk to one receiver at a time. Do U use Dual Xmitters some how. From every thing I read here it's a "POWER" problem in the RX, Correct?

There is no problem at all running multiple receivers of the same class with Spektrum, and still supporting Model Match.

What you probably don't understand is that Model Match is in the receiver. It knows to listen to only one transmitter GUID/Model combination. The transmitter (during bind) learns the class of the receiver, and they negotiate the operating mode. A transmitter will talk just fine to all receivers of the same class (class includes protocol, speed, channels) that have been bound to a particular model ID. People use this all the time, such as for having scale planes with a separate receiver in the floats so as to not have a wire between fuselage and floats, or for having multiple receivers in a model.

In fact, this is so basic that even receivers with dual RF decks use it, such as the AR610, as well as remote receiver systems such as AR12120.

Hope that clears up your misconception!

Andy
Old 09-23-2015, 09:57 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

More posts containing personal attacks have been removed.

If yours is gone you know why
Old 09-23-2015, 10:00 AM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I too have Futaba transmitters - all on 72 MHz which I fly most of my glow stuff with. Within the last seven years I purchased a DX6i and one other Spektrum Tx - my only 2.4 GHz radios with no problems anywhere/anytime thus far. As others stated earlier, I also thought an owner was good to go with Spektrum so long as he/she used at least 6 Volts for airborne stuff to prevent brown-outs. This thread got my attention with a link to a recall that I either missed, dismissed, or don't even recall for the DX6i (2008?) w/ DSM2. I don't have the sticker in the battery area the recall pertains to and vaguely remember performing some test to see if cursors followed stick movement smoothly while in "monitor mode" without hesitation or segmenting. Is this what that recall was about? Thanks for any information in this regard.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:04 AM
castlebravo

As for you trying to show off your limited knowledge of circuit boards i strongly suggest you do not go there with me. Really.
The above was Mr."Topgun Winner"s response to a consise, intelligent post regarding the stated "issue"

The below quote is also from Mr Topgun Winner in response to a thread regarding using a A123/LiFe battery on a Ralph Cunningham modified G-62 and using a Diode to drop the voltage to a level that the ignition can manage....

Exactly how do you install a diode...where to buy...part number...etc?

We need your expertise...schematic?

I believe everything i read on the web....not! Lol
Now....I dont expect everyone to know that a standard silicon diode has a .7vdc drop across it making it a nifty little "regulator" for use when you need to drop the voltage a bit......but I would expect a virtual "electronics and aerospace GOD" to know how to use a simple diode.....I'll let you decide where the "BS" is comming from......

CB
Old 09-23-2015, 10:09 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Thank You John for responding to my post , it seems at least a couple of us want to have an intelligent conversation regarding voltage drop in RC model control systems but the greater majority here would rather go on bragging about their "cred" . All the chest thumping and bravado aside , I believe there is an issue , and like you I believe that issue is the "bottleneck" caused by the current carrying abilities of the entire system not being upgraded along with the corresponding increases in servo draw that modern servo development have brought . The entire system of battery (or ESC) , wiring , switches , and any other devices used has to be able to handle the increased draw . Whats happening at the RX is the symptom of the failure to deliver the needed current and I'm not ready to condemn the RX as being that weak link .
Earlier on in this discussion I pointed out that this voltage drop is common to many systems and is usually a function of a weak battery. The fault of the receiver is how it RESPONDS to that drop - a full reset. In that same resposne I believe I also said that it was a problem in the original receiver design and has supposedly been fixed.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:10 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

That's it guys. Well, I guess that some people here just don't understand what it means when dad comes in and says that you had better all get to bed and stop the talking, because it's obvious that my warnings for the other day have been ignored. It was my hope that if BarracudaHockey and myself cleaned up this thread, and then I laid down a warning, that this thread may turn into something that might be useful for other members that might ACTUALLY be suffering from these problems. However, some people have choosen to ignore my warning and have decided to continue to act in the same exact manner. BarracudaHockey and myself do NOT have time to sit and babysit one thread just so it's kept to a level that is acceptable for public viewing. So now any hope for getting any useful information from this thread is going to be lost as I am going to close it down. If others wish to discuss this matter they are free to open up a new thread, however I would high discourage the OP from reopening a new thread on this topic because what happened in this thread WILL NOT BE ALLOWED to happen again. PERIOD.

Thread closed and locked.

Ken