Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spectrum

Old 10-06-2015, 12:33 PM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dirtybird... Are you sure of that. Do you have pictures to back that up. I'm skeptical.

Bob
Old 10-06-2015, 12:34 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AirmanBob
Gosh Andy... you're a lucky guy in that you didn't end up with a made in China one. I'm going to go check mine now... Dang... wouldn't you know.... mines made in China. Well, I run Life 6.6v batteries so I should be okay.

Bob
Sure U will be OK ... right to impact. BOOM. Smok'n Hole. Sorry Couldn't resist.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:37 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by dirtybird
There is nothing wrong with made in China equipment. Its just cheaper to make high class equipment there as the labor cost is much less. You can buy junk from any country including Japan Taiwan and Singapore. You can even get it here in the US.
If you check your old Taiwan equipment you will probably find a lot of Chinese parts.
It's got a lot to do with Quality Control .... Good Quality Control Costs ... In the Long Run U get what ya Pay for. Just saying U don't see any Treads for Futaba, HiTec, JR, or Airtronics like for Spectrum. Just Saying.

Last edited by HoundDog; 10-06-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:41 PM
AirmanBob

HoundDog... Yep, nothing like livin on the edge, never knowing when its gonna happen to you. Rule no 1 is: any airplane that costs over $100,00 you must use Futaba. Rule no 2: Use big life batteries.

Bob
Old 10-06-2015, 12:42 PM
AirmanBob

If it wasn't for Spektrum we wouldn't have anything to talk about...

Bob
Old 10-06-2015, 12:49 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, they do. In every country, for every brand, in every industry.

Andy
Old 10-06-2015, 12:56 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Yes, they do. In every country, for every brand, in every industry.

Andy
Andy: would/could U be so kind as to post a couple of URL for other radio threads PLZ.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:20 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

RCU doesn't like posts linking to RCGroups.

Andy
Old 10-06-2015, 01:53 PM
AirmanBob

Andy... you're probably right. All brands have problems.

The Bob
Old 10-06-2015, 02:14 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Japan was scorned as junk makers all the way up thru WW2 and several years after.They said they thought that is what we wanted.
The first Futaba equipment imported was absolute junk. They did not make a good radio until they copied Kraft.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:38 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The fact that things are manufactured in china doesn't mean its all of poor quality... I've seen some poor quality products made in the USA... china can make some hi quality stuff if the companies want to pay for the quality control standards... it all boils down to the integrity of the company, and the manufacturer... I certainly don't mind paying a bit more for a product that is made well, especially electronics and other products related to our hobby... what upsets me about "made in china", is we have people here in the states that need work and most are qualified to do more than just flipping burgers, but that's another subject in itself, for a different forum.

When you look inside a futaba, airtronics, tactic,jr, or spektrum, they all look to be of a similar quality construction... component grade and tolerances standards are held by quality control, which is the key to producing a top quality product; but when you mass produce components by the millions, there are bound to be failures, no matter how good the QC is, that's were the warranty department comes in... there will always be some sort of a risk with anything produced, doesn't matter where in the world its made.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 10-06-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:15 PM
John_M_

Bob
Spread Spectrum is nothing new, its concept was developed during WWII... spektrum may have been the first to develop its use in RC in the 2.4 ghz band... but the idea is as old as I am.

John M,
Old 10-06-2015, 04:01 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by John_M_
Spread Spectrum is nothing new, its concept was developed during WWII... spektrum may have been the first to develop its use in RC in the 2.4 ghz band... but the idea is as old as I am.

John M,
Tesla actually proposed it in the late 1800's. A book was published in the 1920's describing it.The actress, Heddy Lamaar,and a piano player made the first practical model using a player piano as the random code generator. They received a patent and gave it to he government for use during the war, but the military never used it. In the late 50's it was realized it could be used as secure message transmission system. The first actual use was by ship to ship communication during the Cuban missile blockade.
I don't know how or why this came about but the transmission system produces a large processor gain. Up to 40db I am told.
Its what makes all the wifi and comm systems that we enjoy today possible
Old 10-06-2015, 06:57 PM
John_M_

Spot on Dirtybird

http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~jone...edy/lemarr.htm

John M,.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:44 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

I have been a devoted spectrum user for years now, I've read as much as I could without rolling my eyes. Face it, planes crash and everyone would like to blame the radio, no matter what make it is. Yes it bites when you lose a plane to a glitch, brownout or pilot error. Most of the crashes I've witness in my 15yrs of Rc are attributed to mechanical malfunction. A clevis comes of, control horn breaks, servo gives out, something comes unglued and the list goes on. I routinely do preflight checks before I fly and after. How many times have I heard something wrong w a plane and the pilot says oh there's nothing wrong w it I flew it yesterday. After a crash I've seen guys gut planes out and stick all the same equipment into a new plane. When it crashes, it's the radio. Of course things we purchase are sometimes defective, and if all the steps were taken to assure the equipment was taken then it's possible it could have been detected. Some old timers have a library of knowledge and I learn from them everytine I'm at the field. I also learn that some of the batteries, switches, servos, engines glow plugs they are still using. If I had more than one plane go down with the same equipment then that would be my fault for reusing it, especially after a crash. Do we really know the whole story here? I am a spectrum user and always will be since it works for me. This type of thread only strengthens my dedication to the spectrum system because I know it works.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:03 PM
teambutter
My Feedback: (36)

Here you go HoundDog...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/futa...aba-14-sg.html

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=413525

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ques...-problems.html

If the links don't work directly, just copy and paste. Google and 1.3 seconds. That's just a sample.

Keep in mind saying that other brands don't have any radio issues is akin to saying Sharks in Florida are more aggressive than in other states. With 1,000x's more people in the water because we have MORE water, sharks attack more in Florida. It's a numbers game. I would really be interested in seeing a units sold vs. "issues" comparison and coming up with a percentage. I think people would be VERY surprised.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:33 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Bob
For those of us that can properly outfit, setup an aircraft and actually fly using our our Spektrum equipment it's really fun to talk about flying.

Bob
Old 10-07-2015, 09:19 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by teambutter
Here you go HoundDog...

A total of 5 posts about Futaba by 3 different people one being a Futaba Rep. in 2013 and it turned out to be a factory GLUE problem If I read it correctly.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/futa...aba-14-sg.html

A total of 13 posts by 11 different people over 4 years ago.
http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=413525

Only 22 posts by 18 differant posters in 2012
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11006999-futaba-fasst-radio-problems.html

If the links don't work directly, just copy and paste. Google and 1.3 seconds. That's just a sample.

Keep in mind saying that other brands don't have any radio issues is akin to saying Sharks in Florida are more aggressive than in other states. With 1,000x's more people in the water because we have MORE water, sharks attack more in Florida. It's a numbers game. I would really be interested in seeing a units sold vs. "issues" comparison and coming up with a percentage. I think people would be VERY surprised.
Thank U for the URL's If the shark thing is an analogy I'll take the Sharks be for the radio mentioned here in this thread.
Not that it isn't the number of radios out there but this isn't the only RECENT thread about this particular brand of radio. and yes many radio problems can be attributed directly to set up and/or miss use. I' have seen many incidents of this radio system just going bonkers (May be the Shark effect) but no where near the few that happen with other Radio systems.(Again maybe just the Shark Effect) at work. Anyway no one is going to influence anyone's opinion on what radio system they have purchased. It's human Nature that doesn't want us to believe that maybe we did make a mistake with some particular purchase we've made. We'll defend our decisions right to the end. again JMHO & U know the saying about Opinions.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:21 AM
AirmanBob

Those of us that have been in r/c for over 50 years can, and do, set up our aircraft properly and fly them with no problems. But some times we have imaginary problems with our Spektrum radios.

Lesson learned: Always fly your expensive airplanes with Futaba. Some guys seem to use Spektrum and never have any problems at all. Why that is, nobody knows.

Bob
Old 10-07-2015, 10:30 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Those of us that have been in r/c for over 50 years can, and do, set up our aircraft properly and fly them with no problems. But some times we have imaginary problems with our Spektrum radios.

Lesson learned: Always fly your expensive airplanes with Futaba. Some guys seem to use Spektrum and never have any problems at all. Why that is, nobody knows.

Bob
Your profile states you have been in RC 25 years, but you state here that you have been doing it for 50 years, so what is the truth Bob? You also state: But some times we have imaginary problems with our Spektrum radios. I see it more like this: Most of the time Spektrum radios have people problems with brain troubles. In closing you stated: Lesson learned: Always fly your expensive airplanes with Futaba. So exactly what do you consider an expensive airplane Bob?

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 10-07-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:24 AM
AirmanBob

25 years or 50 years, what difference does it make. I've been active in modeling and r/c since I was nine years old.
I'm now considerably older than that and a whole lot smarter.

Expensive airplane.... how about my Aerobeez Edge540 with an OS GT60 in it. All digital servo's (7) flying with a Futaba
8FG radio system. You think I'm going to trust that to a Spektrum...not bloody likely.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Edge (8).JPG
Views:	123
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2124308  
Old 10-07-2015, 11:44 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Hmm....i trust models that cost a lot more than that to my DX-18 <shrug>

I also have Futaba stuff, I trust that as well.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:50 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
RCU doesn't like posts linking to RCGroups.

Andy
This is not true at all. IF the post to RC Groups provides information that is helpful to our members, and that information can't be found any place else, then by all means we would rather you post the link to RCG than to cop out and say we aren't going to allow the link. When it's all boiled down in the end we want out members to have the best information that they can have in order to safely operate their RC gear in this hobby. Now we don't want to allow people to routinely advertise for people to leave out site for other places like RCG or any other RC source, but in a situation such as this where getting the best information possible is important to our members we would definitely allow a link to a thread on RC Groups. In fact, if you look throughout the many many pages of RCU you will find hundreds if not more of links to RCG links.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 10-07-2015, 11:51 AM
AirmanBob

Yeah Mr. Hockey... but you're a cut above us mere mortals...

Bob
Old 10-07-2015, 12:36 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

LOL Don't believe for a second I think that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.