Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spectrum

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:04 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a few issues lately but it is with planes with dsm2 receivers and my dx18. It does not have the range of my 12x or 9303 did. (Both are still on dsm2). I lost my 1/3 scale cub when it went into hold about 1000 feet away on final. Then my flying king was on its own for a few seconds last weekend but reconnected. I can really tell the difference with my fpv racing quadcopter. It will fly out of video range with my 9303 but will only go between 800 to 1000 feet with the dx18. All holds are at 100 feet altitude or less and out 800 feet plus range when they happen. None are battery related. All are proven installs with lots of flights with the 12x and or 9303. No problems with dsmx receivers and the dx18- Just with the dsm2 receivers..
Old 10-09-2015, 06:36 PM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

Maybe 2walla, your transmitter (dx18) is in European power mode instead of US mode.?

Bob
Old 10-10-2015, 01:38 PM
Aerocal

2 walla
What Rxs are you using?
Old 10-11-2015, 05:40 AM
2walla

AR 7000 in the cub , ar6200 in the flying king, and an ar6000 in the quad. Xmitter is in us mode..
Old 10-11-2015, 09:54 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 2walla
AR 7000 in the cub , ar6200 in the flying king, and an ar6000 in the quad. Xmitter is in us mode..
You're using an AR6000? The original Parkflyer receiver that went with the DX6? I didn't think those transmitters supported JR transmitters supported DSM, and I absolutely KNOW that the DX18 doesn't (it does DSM2 or DSMX, meaning AR6100 would be the minimum).

How new are the AR7000 and AR6200? If they were purchased in the last 2-3 years, they're very likely fakes. We stopped making them in late 2011/early 2012. Some of the counterfeits have major problems with new transmitters, as DSM2 has been improved several times.

Andy
Old 10-11-2015, 07:18 PM
2walla

Andy the quad has a 6115e on it not a 6000. The other two receivers are genuine and are quite old.. I have over 40 spektrum receivers probably closer to 50 that are genuine and 1-2 fakes that came in planes i bought used. I am thinking i may have one of the low range dx 18 that the june 2015 product bulletin addressed. I am wondering why someone had to PM me the bulletin instead of having received it from horizon since i had to register the transmitter online with my email.. I am actually now kinda pissed as i would have range tested it to see instead of having lost a plane for no good reason..

https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/...e_Bulletin.pdf

I know it is of lower range than my 9303 as i can go to a friends 1000 foot runway and stand at one end and fly my quad out beyond the opposite end at least 600-700feet with the 9303. Switch to the dx18 and before the end of the runway it will go into failsafe and fall from the sky.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:10 AM
AndyKunz

An AR6115 is a parkflyer receiver. Hopefully you have it far enough below the aircraft so the antennas are not shadowed. The big problem with quads is that people put the antennas on top, and they get shadowed behind arms, motors, and battery packs pretty easily.

The product bulletin went out to all registered users at the time it was published. It came from the same system that notifies you when updates are released. Some ISPs block the messages, thinking they're spam so it could be that, or it could be a setting in the email client. Did you execute the procedure?

Andy
Old 10-12-2015, 06:25 PM
2walla

I didnt get it. I get all of the ads, etc.. Do they use a different address than the product e mails? I tested it with my 1/3 scale cub. Smoking hole about 1500 feet away after it went into hold and killed the engine over a gravel pit.

i understand blocking on the quad. Flying the same profile with my 9303 no problem. 18x hold and splat. I reproduced it twice.
So should 1/2 of the range of a 9303 2.4 with no change in the airframe be normal?
Old 10-13-2015, 05:11 AM
AndyKunz

Yes, it's a different e-mail system that sends out those.

Half the range is not normal. How did your transmitter do when you executed the procedure in the bulletin?

Andy
Old 10-21-2015, 06:30 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Hi Jim,

In the Spektrum system, here's how binding works.

The receiver enters "bind mode." It is waiting for a transmitter to attempt to bind to it. It will do this as long as it is powered. If power is removed, if the bind plug is removed and you power it up, it will look for the last bound transmitter. If the bind plug is in, it will return to looking for a transmitter wanting to bind. When the receiver is in bind mode, it flashes the LED rapidly.

When the receiver hears a transmitter that wants to bind, it will tell the transmitter about itself. During this time, the LED will blink slowly. The tx and rx will negotiate the protocol to use, and the transmitter will tell it the GUID to listen for. The receiver will then save the new bind information (transmitter GUID and bind type) in EEPROM or Flash for later use. Then it executes the connect, and the LED turns on solid.

Note that the bind information in the receiver is not overwritten until it has replacement information.

On the transmitter side, when put into bind mode the RF deck will immediately erase the previous bind information (which is bind type and GUID to use). This will allow the transmitter to meet the timing requirements for transmissions consistently - a necessary item for the receiver to see. (It takes a "long" time to erase Flash/EEPROM; this erase-before-transmit is necessary.)

It will then begin issuing the bind message that the receiver is waiting for. It hears the receiver and works its side of the protocol negotiations, then saves the bind information where the erased bind used to be and then continues its transmissions at the negotiated frame rate.

If power is lost by the receiver, upon restoration it will immediately listen for the saved GUID using the saved protocol, using a special "re-sync" algorithm to find the required frequency at the proper timing. This will restore the connection.

If power is lost by the transmitter, upon restoration it will transmit according to the GUID/protocol that was saved during the bind process. It doesn't have to do anything special to restore the connection; that is all handled in the receiver.

I've explained this several times, both here and on RCG. With a little googling you may be able to find the references, if you feel they'd further clarify your understanding of the bind process.

As for non-power-related failure modes, there are only a few ways for a bind to be lost. One is with extremely high temperature for a sustained period of time, causing the non-volatile memory to be erased. I doubt this would be possible without other obvious major physical damage to the receiver or transmitter. An extreme EMP condition (atmospheric nuclear detonation? cosmic particles or rays?) could also cause bit errors in the memory which would prevent a reconnect. Over-voltage is another possibility, but it would probably require power insertion on the load side of the internal voltage regulation. I suppose extreme over-voltage on the servo bus could cause that, but I'm not about to try it myself. Some things that WON'T cause loss of bind data are a crash or power loss.

A connection can be lost by a host of means. As others have noted, a momentary power loss can cause the receiver to execute the reconnect mode. In the very first DSM2 receivers this could take up to 3 seconds; version 1.6 corrected this and reduced it to about 1/2 second. With DSMX the reconnection is established within just a few ms (less than 100). A connection can be lost due to an extremely low signal level - this can be demonstrated by doing a range check and then attenuating the transmitter by grasping the antenna with your hand or putting your body between the devices. Connections can be lost by having the antennas shadowed behind large conductive surfaces such as battery packs, engines, or carbon fiber (wings, fuselage, etc.) - this is why the physical diversity of antennas is important to all brands.

I hope this clarifies the difference between a bind and a connection. If you have more questions about how the stuff works at this level, just ask.

Andy
Thanks Andy.

I am pretty sure I knew, know, and agree about bind but am not sure I agree totally about all the non-power related bind failures. Everything you have said is software related and inside the chip, but if the electronics supporting that chip fail there is no way for that bind to be effective. I suspect that is where the difficulty in comprehension for many comes from as the term 'bind' is a software related issue but may (and I am sure does) have a hardware (electronics) component.

I have designed, built, tested, and sold inventory control systems starting with the software all the way to the completed product that included multiple cash drawers that were discretely controlled and could be opened based on the data acquired (which product, what funding, and which user = which drawer). A systems failure could have been either a software failure (only happened once in beta when the users network crashed) or a hardware (electronics) failure. That is all I have been saying.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:44 AM
AndyKunz

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
Thanks Andy.

I am pretty sure I knew, know, and agree about bind but am not sure I agree totally about all the non-power related bind failures. Everything you have said is software related and inside the chip, but if the electronics supporting that chip fail there is no way for that bind to be effective. I suspect that is where the difficulty in comprehension for many comes from as the term 'bind' is a software related issue but may (and I am sure does) have a hardware (electronics) component.

I have designed, built, tested, and sold inventory control systems starting with the software all the way to the completed product that included multiple cash drawers that were discretely controlled and could be opened based on the data acquired (which product, what funding, and which user = which drawer). A systems failure could have been either a software failure (only happened once in beta when the users network crashed) or a hardware (electronics) failure. That is all I have been saying.
Actually, most of what I said was electronically related, so I'll just continue here with a little more electronic detail.

Another electronic component of "bind" is the storage of a binary value in EEPROM or Flash non-volatile memory (NVM). As you may know, these sorts of devices are guaranteed erase/write cycles with a minimum of 10K, typically 100K or more cycles. Reading a value does not degrade the life storage, only erasing and writing.

A single bit failure in the NVM would not cause an immediate loss of RF connection; it would simply not be able to reconnect after power cycle.

A single bit failure in the RAM would cause an immediate loss of RF connection, but would be restored immediately on power cycle.

As you may also know, the likelihood of either event occurring is about as close to 0 as anybody can figure. If we were in outer space, it would be measurable. Down here, the atmosphere does a really good job of preventing the sort of radiation that could cause either event.

I've been doing embedded stuff (both hardware and software) since the early 1980's. Systems I have worked on have been deployed internationally with everybody from modelers and other consumer-type good right up to the State Department and DoD. I have developed multiple products which have been manufactured in the hundreds of thousands (and sometimes just one or two very expensive things), and am constantly working on new products for similar high or low volumes. My jobs have, quite simply, required a very deep knowledge of the entire SYSTEM, not just individual modules - my value is that I am both deep and wide on the systems, the modules, and the electronic components in them as well as the firmware and software. So I'd say you and I could probably share a number of horror stories and be able to relate well over a dinner.

Andy
Old 10-22-2015, 11:01 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, most of what I said was electronically related, so I'll just continue here with a little more electronic detail.

Another electronic component of "bind" is the storage of a binary value in EEPROM or Flash non-volatile memory (NVM). As you may know, these sorts of devices are guaranteed erase/write cycles with a minimum of 10K, typically 100K or more cycles. Reading a value does not degrade the life storage, only erasing and writing.

A single bit failure in the NVM would not cause an immediate loss of RF connection; it would simply not be able to reconnect after power cycle.

A single bit failure in the RAM would cause an immediate loss of RF connection, but would be restored immediately on power cycle.

As you may also know, the likelihood of either event occurring is about as close to 0 as anybody can figure. If we were in outer space, it would be measurable. Down here, the atmosphere does a really good job of preventing the sort of radiation that could cause either event.

I've been doing embedded stuff (both hardware and software) since the early 1980's. Systems I have worked on have been deployed internationally with everybody from modelers and other consumer-type good right up to the State Department and DoD. I have developed multiple products which have been manufactured in the hundreds of thousands (and sometimes just one or two very expensive things), and am constantly working on new products for similar high or low volumes. My jobs have, quite simply, required a very deep knowledge of the entire SYSTEM, not just individual modules - my value is that I am both deep and wide on the systems, the modules, and the electronic components in them as well as the firmware and software. So I'd say you and I could probably share a number of horror stories and be able to relate well over a dinner.

Andy

ROFLOL!

Andy,

I am sure we could trade some horror stories but I am sure that some of mine (and yours) will have to remain untold, as it looks like we both have worked in and on significantly secure systems - both in software and hardware.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:17 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is it that Only "Spectrum" systems have a LOSS of bind problem. I've never lost Link (Bind) on my HiTec RCD Aurora 9. I've never seen loss of bind on any Futaba either. One of my flying buddies (that crashes a LOT) says that it happens sometimes when he powers the Receiver before the transmitter. I don't know if I believe that. There are others at all of the clubs I fly at, that seem to occasionally, have the Los of Bind problem. Most are found on the ground. Hard to tell if a receiver came Unbound before or because of the crash. Just Asking.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:53 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I've been using Airtronics for many years, and their 2.4 systems since 7 or 8 years ago. Not one single issue of loss of bind or in-flight failure.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:32 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Lifer
I've been using Airtronics for many years, and their 2.4 systems since 7 or 8 years ago. Not one single issue of loss of bind or in-flight failure.
OOPs for got that one ... I used to have older versions of Extreme Power Systems products and they did loose it at times. But when I went to RCD Extreme were on their 3rd generation software. I had my stuff upgraded But never flew Extreme again.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:41 AM
AndyKunz

Originally Posted by Lifer
Your experience parallels mine with released Spektrum products.

My only radio-related crash was bad code in my radio while testing new code, stuff that never saw production. That's the cost of being the guy writing the code, I suppose.

Andy
Old 10-23-2015, 07:56 AM
HoundDog

Your experience parallels mine with released Spektrum products.

My only radio-related crash was bad code in my radio while testing new code, stuff that never saw production. That's the cost of being the guy writing the code, I suppose.

Andy
Andy: Why do so many pilots have trouble with spectrum systems and other Using Spectrum systems t never have any problems. Do U figure it might be just in the Set UP or Installation ?
Old 10-23-2015, 08:10 AM
AndyKunz

I think you've already seen some very good answers to your question here, from myself and from others, so there's not much sense in repeating them.

My question for you is, why do you find it so hard to realize that somebody selling about 10X the number of products as everybody else would have more reported problems (and successes) as everybody else. And why is it that folks don't understand that the way larger number of entry-level users will have skew the results in one direction due to both their inexperience and the low-cost accessories that they use, while mid- to high-end users report the same success as everybody else?

Andy
Old 10-23-2015, 08:52 AM
HoundDog

I think you've already seen some very good answers to your question here, from myself and from others, so there's not much sense in repeating them.

My question for you is, why do you find it so hard to realize that somebody selling about 10X the number of products as everybody else would have more reported problems (and successes) as everybody else. And why is it that folks don't understand that the way larger number of entry-level users will have skew the results in one direction due to both their inexperience and the low-cost accessories that they use, while mid- to high-end users report the same success as everybody else?

Andy
Good answer ...
Sorry for forgetting What I've said or asked of whom, But PLZ forgive me. If it been more than 15 seconds of less then 25 years I seem not to remember so well. Names have always been a big problem for me. This getting "OLD crap ain't for sissies. Just U wait till u get OLD. it ain't no fun at times. Others not bad. Just sure glad I can still get out of bed and know I don't have to go to work. Just too bad one has to be so "OLD" to retire.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:03 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Andy
This should be posted in every thread where a fan of some other system takes a cheap shot at Spektrum .
Old 10-23-2015, 03:25 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by init4fun
This should be posted in every thread where a fan of some other system takes a cheap shot at Spektrum .
Init ... if there weren't some kind of problem there wouldn't be a spectrum forum. Yes the new hopping spectrum is far superior to the old receivers, But selling ten times the number of anything doesn't make it Idiot proof or as good as or worse any thing else. I say that about 50% of purchases for Any R/C equipment is PRICE. Else we/U/all R/Cers wouldn't BRG and some times exaggerate how Cheap they acquired their precious STUFF. Whens the last time U heard an of your R/C friends say they bout and paid too much for anything. I'd bet never. at least till they dispose of it or it becomes old and useless. Nobody readily admits that they might have made the wrong decision on a expensive purchase. sorry if I ruffled your feathers.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:46 PM
init4fun

It's all good HoundDog , no ruffled feathers here . I was agreeing with Andy that those of us who use quality batteries (or ESC/BECs) and also good quality servos and switches seem to never have these supposed "spektrum issues" that some like to go on about . I have owned radios from all the major players since Kraft and have yet to experience a radio failure related loss of a model airplane on 2.4 GHZ . I don't think for one minute that this is "dumb luck" or "divine intervention" or any other whimsical mystery , it can be found in the use of best materials and the proper placement of the components during the build . I can't count how many times I've seen improper radio setups in others' planes , things like the main and satellite antennas both being in the same orientation (supposed to be 90 degrees apart) and then folks wonder why they lost signal ? Couple bad installation with the pig headed refusal to own up to augering it in by their own dumb thumbs rather than blame the radio , and I'd say Spektrum is getting a bad rap that it don't deserve .
Old 10-24-2015, 04:17 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by init4fun
It's all good HoundDog , no ruffled feathers here . I was agreeing with Andy that those of us who use quality batteries (or ESC/BECs) and also good quality servos and switches seem to never have these supposed "spektrum issues" that some like to go on about . I have owned radios from all the major players since Kraft and have yet to experience a radio failure related loss of a model airplane on 2.4 GHZ . I don't think for one minute that this is "dumb luck" or "divine intervention" or any other whimsical mystery , it can be found in the use of best materials and the proper placement of the components during the build . I can't count how many times I've seen improper radio setups in others' planes , things like the main and satellite antennas both being in the same orientation (supposed to be 90 degrees apart) and then folks wonder why they lost signal ? Couple bad installation with the pig headed refusal to own up to augering it in by their own dumb thumbs rather than blame the radio , and I'd say Spektrum is getting a bad rap that it don't deserve .
Didn't see this post I've fallen behind on the posts I get daily from RCU forums. Close to 30 to 50 a day.but then on the 2nd red part.

MAYBE MAY NOT ... like I said the more expensive radios and the hopping receivers certainly changed things recently. That's all I can say. My Prejudice comes from all the unresolved crashes and unbindings I've witnessed and even had it happen to me and some excellent flyers. OK!
Old 10-24-2015, 06:32 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Why is it that Only "Spectrum" systems have a LOSS of bind problem. I've never lost Link (Bind) on my HiTec RCD Aurora 9. I've never seen loss of bind on any Futaba either. One of my flying buddies (that crashes a LOT) says that it happens sometimes when he powers the Receiver before the transmitter. I don't know if I believe that. There are others at all of the clubs I fly at, that seem to occasionally, have the Los of Bind problem. Most are found on the ground. Hard to tell if a receiver came Unbound before or because of the crash. Just Asking.
I have witnessed the following at least five times with five different people using Spektrum.

1. TX is turned on, RX is turned on, RX light is solid orange, Plane flies perfectly and lands.
2 TX remains on, Plane battery is removed and new battery inserted.
3. RX light now flashes orange (slowly) - this is totally normal with DSM2 as it has detected a brown out (i.e. when the battery was disconnected)
4. Pilot sees orange light flashing and mistakenly believes the RX has lost its bind and is in bind mode.
5. Pilot plugs in bind plug and rebinds.
6. Repeats Step 2-5 each flight.

Step 5 was totally unnecessary as the receiver did not lose its bind at all. The plane could have flown perfectly with an orange slow flashing light.

My point is - some pilots don't understand the difference between a slow flashing orange light (brown out detection) and a fast flashing light (bind mode)

I would wager this accounts for a large percentage of claims that the "RX lost its bind"
Old 10-24-2015, 06:52 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
Your statement, sir, is a very broad brush of indictment towards all others who may or may not have had a problem and clearly suggests you have 'superiority' "issues".

I can't speak for all, but when dealing with a plane weighing over 20 pounds and traveling at speeds well over 30 MPH, *I* tend to go with the more expensive 'solutions' to avoid issues that may or may not endanger other lives. That is why I am so displeased when I do have something go wrong. Clearly (THEY SAID) my bird lost all power to the RX even though I used 2 high capacity batteries on 2 different switches feeding 2 different points on the RX. The cheapest thing in that set up was the RX. After the crash, the only thing untestable was both switches - they got crushed. The batteries tested fine, the techs say the TX tested fine. I am not aware of sunspots and I was high enough to recover any potential dumb thumb I might have done. The plane had been flown as it was for about two years with no evidence of a problem of any nature and the batteries were cycled once a quarter (because I do try to use belt and suspenders - which means looking for potential problems before they bite me) all of which pretty strongly suggests the installation was good. So, sir, exactly HOW do YOU want to paint my result?
Here's how I'd like to paint it ; As the very rare , unfortunate failure that it was . You have proven nothing here except that you lost a plane . Funny you mention sunspots , I'll wager outside interference issues play a bigger part in most "I ain't got it" incidents than folks are ready to believe ., I have not seen your setup and so have no way of knowing whether you actually had it set up properly or not . When you go throwing personal insults like "superiority issues" around it leads me to the suspicion that it WAS something you did wrong , won't admit it to yourself , and are grasping for anyone or anything to blame other than the man in the mirror ! Yes , I'll say it again , even in huge dollar 1/3 scale installations I've seen sketchy radio setups that sent downright chills down this lifelong electronic hobbyist's spine . So you just go on and keep attacking everyone on line who thinks it IS your fault , and let's see if that brings any planes back from the dead .

#1 Installation mistakes

#2 Dumb thumbs

#3 Cheap or somehow otherwise not up to task component(s) ...... (It only takes one)

#4 outside interference

Superiority issues , , , You couldn't be more wrong if you tried ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.