Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spectrum

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 04:53 PM
jmiles1941

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtybird
Interesting. Previously TopGun said he crashed dozens of A/C using Spektrum.Why does he keep using it?
I will never buy a $5000 Chinese toy, but if I were to set one up for someone else, I surely would have two radios in there with each one a dedicated battery, and a means to switch between the two.That includes the transmitter. I mean two complete systems
he is 84 years old and loves his spectrum he has sent it back several times , and they gave it a clean bill of health , if I were him I would throw them in the trash , that is what I told him
Old 10-25-2015, 04:54 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
Yep , I see lots of these reports , complete with the description of "went full throttle rolled over and" ...... And sorry to say , most of em sound more like stalls than loss of control . I can not and will not believe that a properly set failsafe put the throttle to full during a signal loss . If his failsafe was set properly , it would have returned to idle . If the failsafe was not set properly , well then what ELSE might have also been missed ?

It's just all too easy to blame the radio , even when the signs point elsewhere ....
Last year I witnessed a friends GS Cub Go Bananas no control at all. It went full power turned right over the pits and the pavilion did a 270 degree turn to the right crashed still at full power in the parking lot right behind the pavilion and then hit a car, Luckily in the tire. Ever here a GS Cub go so fast that it started to whistle.Spectrum Receiver and JR radio,
The story is the owner and the guy flying are 2 of the most meticulous pilots/builders U will ever meet almost to being Annale about their planes. Both are so meticulous that if a plane get's a scratch, it isn't flown until it is repaired. Point is it wasn't set up or bad piloting. And the Fail safe was properly set up it just failed to do the job.
Some/most people just refuse to believe the truth staring them right in the face, Until something catastrophic happens.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:06 PM
Rob2160

I was told that anytime a change was made such as reversing a servo after the initial bind , a rebind is needed . Is this part of the failsafe settings , or was it a mistake on the person's part who told me this ?
I think it would be true for failsafe settings, especially of you have used any sub trim during your set up. Re binding in this case will reset your failsafe positions accurately.

Also worth mentioning there are two ways to set failsafe on some Spektrum receivers. Channel Preset or Smartsafe.

1. Channel Preset - will set desired failsafe positions for all channels - you activate this by inserting bind plug - connect RX power, When the bind light is flashing REMOVE the bind plug before starting the bind - when you bind this way all channels will remember the preset position and will move to these positions during a disconnect.

2. Smartsafe - in this mode only the throttle channel will move to a preset failsafe position - all other channels will freeze in their present position when the disconnect occurs.

Channel Preset is my preferred option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QjsC0pi6WM

Last edited by Rob2160; 10-25-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:01 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Last year I witnessed a friends GS Cub Go Bananas no control at all. It went full power turned right over the pits and the pavilion did a 270 degree turn to the right crashed still at full power in the parking lot right behind the pavilion and then hit a car, Luckily in the tire. Ever here a GS Cub go so fast that it started to whistle.Spectrum Receiver and JR radio,
The story is the owner and the guy flying are 2 of the most meticulous pilots/builders U will ever meet almost to being Annale about their planes. Both are so meticulous that if a plane get's a scratch, it isn't flown until it is repaired. Point is it wasn't set up or bad piloting. And the Fail safe was properly set up it just failed to do the job.
Some/most people just refuse to believe the truth staring them right in the face, Until something catastrophic happens.
If it didn't go into failsafe, it's likely that the problem was not caused by signal loss. OR he had it set up backwards and it went to full throttle at failsafe. More than likely caused by power loss. Were the lights on his receiver flashing when the plane was recovered? Did you plug a Data Logger into it to see if it went into hold? Does he use a single NIMH battery? Or does he have redundant batteries? There are many things that could cause him to lose control but, seeing as you say it didn't go into failsafe, signal loss is the least likely one. You've made a pretty big assumption based on no facts.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:20 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Hi guys! I had a wonderful long weekend at an event with nearly non existent Internet coverage.

Unfortunately that means I had 3 pages of posts to clean up. If your post is gone you probably know why and with work to catch up on as well I don't have time to personally fuss at you individually.

If your post contained a personal attack in any form, quoted or referenced a deleted post, it's gone.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:33 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I was told that anytime a change was made such as reversing a servo after the initial bind , a rebind is needed . Is this part of the failsafe settings , or was it a mistake on the person's part who told me this ?
If the reverse changes the failsafe behavior, then yes, a rebind would be needed. Typically this would be for something like throttle.

An extra bind won't hurt, and better safe than sorry.

Andy
Old 10-26-2015, 05:55 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by luv2flyrc
If it didn't go into failsafe, it's likely that the problem was not caused by signal loss. OR he had it set up backwards and it went to full throttle at failsafe. More than likely caused by power loss. Were the lights on his receiver flashing when the plane was recovered? Did you plug a Data Logger into it to see if it went into hold? Does he use a single NIMH battery? Or does he have redundant batteries? There are many things that could cause him to lose control but, seeing as you say it didn't go into failsafe, signal loss is the least likely one. You've made a pretty big assumption based on no facts
Assumption nothing!!! pretty much they did all that. The fail safe worked after being set up and tested by shutting off the Xmitter. These guys are no dummies .... I know what I've seen. The real problem here is, there is something wrong some where, and NO one Wants/Will admit it, much less deal with it. It akin to having a loaded gun with a Defective/ Hair trigger. U never know when it's going to go off. JMO from many many observations.

I think I'll unSUBSCRIBE to this forum so as not to say something I really don't what to or shouldn't say. Thanks for the RIDE it been Interesting if nothing else.

Remember this, "It's just human nature to not want to belive that U might have bought/acquired something defective or at least susceptible to failure more then usual. That's why Cars have 10 year 100 thousand mile warranties today. well some do maybe not FORDs or GM's with faulty ignition Switches. OH maybe Volkswagens too.

Last edited by HoundDog; 10-26-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:42 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by AirmanBob
As I've said before, there is one major problem with Spektrum that seemly can't be fixed... IT'S MADE IN CHINA!!!.

That is the common denominator with all Spektrum problems. Shucks, even a large majority of the lipo's and life's are
MADE IN CHINA.

Do you see trend here?

You can type all the technical gobble goop you want to but it always come's back to: IT'S MADE IN CHINA.

Futaba, made in Taiwan. No problems

JR, made in Japan. No problems.

Some thing made in China may or may not work. It's a roll of the dice.

I'm not anti China... I just know that they are not known for their quality or longevity. Stuff is made in China because they make stuff so cheaply. And they make it cheap by using cheaply made parts.

And now I'll go jump into my Chinese made car.... wait, there is no such thing, wonder why. Quality lacking?

Bob... Spektrum user.
Bob, China made more cars last year than any country on the planet...24 million..!! And yes they make I-Phones, I-Pads, I-Pods and all other I-Crap...wow that's some cheap junk too I guess. OS Engines are moving to China, Supertigre moved production the China.

What about Mexico, all of Chrysler's HEMI engines are made there, the new Camaros up until today (on the news) were made there, my new Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel was made there (less engine), and Cadillac Escalades are made there. It's a Global World now I wouldn't bash the Chinese or any other country, you just might be wearing underwear that is made there...

Here is a little list of cars made in Mexico, perhaps your driving one..??
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...in-mexico.html

Oh and concerning Taiwan, well read ROC, "Republic of China"...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan

Sorry to burst your bubble, but everything made in China is not CRAP....some stuff is, but most is not and represents good value for the money...just sayin'.

Just in case you might think I don't know quality, my day job is a Federal Inspector for DOD/DCMA for 28 years and I carry full NASA Inspector Certifications and I inspect for them roughly 2-3 times a week...

Last edited by Prop_Washer2; 10-26-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:02 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Anyway BY, BYE, BUY.
I'm not By, Bye, Buying any of the story HD
Old 10-26-2015, 05:09 PM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

I do not own a Spektrum (all of mine are Futaba) but I have flown Spektrum radios while helping less experienced modelers get their craft set up, flown and trimmed. On one occasion I tried to adjust throttle trim and the trim tab broke. I was able to fly with the trim set as it was but when trimming the flight controls, another tab broke. No big deal -- stuff happens and the manufacturer sent the owner replacement tabs. I have observed a number of "fail to bind" situations. On another occasion I was watching a very experienced pilot suddenly lose control and auger in. His comment sort of follows what some have indicated in this thread. He indicated this is the third of his three Spektrums that needed to be sent in for repair. I neither endorse nor oppose Spektrum because there are a lot of them in use and folks keep buying them so they must be doing something right. On the other hand, my Futaba 6EX (2.4 GHz), 9C (72 MHz converted to 2.4 with HK module) and my 7C (72 MHz) have never caused so much as a blip of an issue. As pointed out, there are Spektrum owners who have never had an issue as well. This entire discussion is Chevy-Ford debate-like and will likely go on with no real end in sight and nothing resolved.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:34 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Prop_Washer2
Bob, China made more cars last year than any country on the planet...24 million..!! And yes they make I-Phones, I-Pads, I-Pods and all other I-Crap...wow that's some cheap junk too I guess. OS Engines are moving to China, Supertigre moved production the China.

last year than any country on the planet...24 million.
How many did they export to the USA?

And yes they make I-Phones, I-Pads, I-Pods and all other I-Crap
And these items are NOT cheep. If they were on a par with the number
of low end i/e/ cheep R/C Radios produced in china, they would be in the $5.95 Range.
Just Saying.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:39 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by luv2flyrc
I'm not By, Bye, Buying any of the story HD
I talked to my two buddies today and they clarified the situation. They said It was complete and total radio (Receiver) failure. They didn't go into a great amount of detail but says he will no longer usees any spectrum receivers with his JR Radios.

Last edited by HoundDog; 10-27-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:58 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

And you believed him without any details? From your description it sure didn't look like a receiver failure to me. Why didn't it go into failsafe?
You said they checked the failsafe after the crash and it worked.
Does he have a telemetry log to look at? Dos it show a loss of signal? If you are going to spend the money for those things you should provide the means to record the data. Its available and cheap. Otherwise you are just making an outhouse guess
Old 10-29-2015, 10:25 AM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

Yep Prop_Washer2... you are right. Nearly everything is made in China these days and we therefore have to buy china made products whether we like it or not.

But, I doubt they make spektrum radios in the same factory as an I-Pad is made.

The whole point of this thread is: there is something wrong with Spektrum. And it sounds like it has to be a quality control issue or the Chinese are putting defective parts in Spektrum. Something is breaking down. And that's a very difficult problem to pin point. I wish I had an electronics back ground, I'd try to figure it out. It's not always the battery and its not always poor installation causing it.

If I owned or worked for Spektrum I'd be in denial too.

It's a shame because I like the look and feel of a Spektrum and their setup menu's are super easy to navigate. But until Spektrum comes up with a fix I'm using Futaba Fasst in my expensive planes. My Dx7s still see's a lot of use though.

Bob
Old 10-29-2015, 11:04 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

The whole point of this thread is there is nothing wrong with Spektrum. That there is something wrong is your point. And you admit you know nothing about electronics
Old 10-29-2015, 02:16 PM
HoundDog

Yep Prop_Washer2... you are right. Nearly everything is made in China these days and we therefore have to buy china made products whether we like it or not.

But, I doubt they make spektrum radios in the same factory as an I-Pad is made.

The whole point of this thread is: there is something wrong with Spektrum. And it sounds like it has to be a quality control issue or the Chinese are putting defective parts in Spektrum. Something is breaking down. And that's a very difficult problem to pin point. I wish I had an electronics back ground, I'd try to figure it out. It's not always the battery and its not always poor installation causing it.

If I owned or worked for Spektrum I'd be in denial too.

It's a shame because I like the look and feel of a Spektrum and their setup menu's are super easy to navigate. But until Spektrum comes up with a fix I'm using Futaba Fasst in my expensive planes. My Dx7s still see's a lot of use though.

Bob

Originally Posted by dirtybird
The whole point of this thread is there is nothing wrong with Spektrum. That there is something wrong is your point. And you admit you know nothing about electronics
AirmanBob:
So many people are just in DENIAL. These people will never be convinced that something might be wrong with Spectrums, especially the lower end Receivers. But then who cares. So long as it crashes away from me and the flight line I'm OK with it. Problem is it doesn't go that way all the time. To give them the benefit of the doubt the new Hopping DSMX are far better. But maybe the older DSM2 receivers out there that have made it this far so maybe all the defective ones have killed them selves. Do they still make the DSM2's?

Last edited by HoundDog; 10-29-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:19 PM
AndyKunz

No, we haven't made anything DSM2-only since 2011.

Andy
Old 10-29-2015, 05:21 PM
jmiles1941

Originally Posted by AndyKunz

Andy
Andy we have over 130 members in GAMA in Warner Robins Ga every airplane crash with no control has been with spectrum radios , and all of them have had the same symptoms full throttle roll over and barrel into the ground , dont try to convince yourself Spektrum has no problem , well it does and there are way too many spectrum crashes with no explaniation of why !!!!! check you schedules look how many spektrums have been sent in for just to check them if you will pm me I will give you names of 10 people this year who have sent their radios in more than once because of unbinding time after time , I have seen it every time I go out to fly some poor guys spectrum has came unbinded , it is a shame you wont admit there is a problem
Old 10-30-2015, 05:11 AM
AndyKunz

Yes, dear.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:11 AM
HoundDog

Andy
But it's still capable of doing DSM2 And there in is the problem. The old Receivers are still out there waiting to fail, But there is still the UNBinding Issue. I haven't followed it that much but is it happening with older equipment or DSMX radios and older DSM2 Receivers or with the newer equipment too.
Some how if it were even possible to set up a mandatory web site to report Radio Failure of any brand & age of Equipment. Sort of like it is required by the DOT/FAA for Full Scale Accident and Incident reporting and like any potential aircraft equipment failure discovered on any required or impromptu inspection or maintenance preformed.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:12 AM
AndyKunz

DSM2 is NOT "the problem." I have no problem technically nor emotionally flying my most valuable planes using DSM2 - some of them are flying on the original DSM2 receivers they had when I first bought Spektrum stuff 8 years or so ago. DSMX has advantages in extremely crowded RF environments - THAT IS ALL.

Several weeks ago I gave a very complete, lengthy, in-depth, hardware and software explanation of how binding works. There is no "unbinding" problem. You call it "denial" but I call it "well-reasoned engineering and factual data" and it's not based on old or new receivers, it's a universal fact. Please go back and read that explanation, and if you have a question about something in there, ask a question.

Andy
Old 10-30-2015, 12:21 PM
Gene Margiotti
My Feedback: (4)

Andy, that reply was succinct and to the point! Thanks again for writing and posting it. That reply is a must read for anyone who is wrangling with any Spektrum questions.

Gene
Old 10-31-2015, 05:44 AM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

Several weeks ago I gave a very complete, lengthy, in-depth, hardware and software explanation of how binding works. ... Please go back and read that explanation, and if you have a question about something in there, ask a question.
Link to Andy's post on the binding process: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-r...l#post12110602
Old 10-31-2015, 06:33 AM
HoundDog

Several weeks ago I gave a very complete, lengthy, in-depth, hardware and software explanation of how binding works. ... Please go back and read that explanation, and if you have a question about something in there, ask a question.

Originally Posted by SkidMan
Link to Andy's post on the binding process: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-r...l#post12110602
Explaining the Spectrum Binding process doesn't explain away All the occurrences of Spectrum Radios becoming Unbound to their receivers. Just seems like a real problem. I've seen it way to man times especially on the receiver with flight stabilization Like the Apprentice. One of our instructors likes to use his Spectrum DX6(what ever) the black one, with the cordless buddy system as the master and the students radio as the trainer. Don't know why but he has an unbinding problem, quite often, especially with all his students that use the Apprentices.

The problem with forums Like this is that (and it's human nature) that no one is going to be convinced pro or con that what they have in equipment is not the best. Viseversly those that don't like something will never be convinced that it is a visible system. Much of a persons Like or Dislike of Some R/C Radio System is no different then the life long Chevy vs. Ford Debate. We will take our likes and predicates to the grave with us before admitting we might be wrong. That is just the way humans are and it's almost impossible to change that. Again this is my opinion and quit possibly I could be WRONG. Again U will probably never convince me of that.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:54 AM
AndyKunz

I guess you just aren't understanding what it means to go through the bind process. You can unbind a transmitter by starting a bind with no receiver in bind mode, but you can't unbind a receiver, and it will never happen in flight.

Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.