Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Forgot to turn off my JR 8103. Left it on for 8 hours!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Forgot to turn off my JR 8103. Left it on for 8 hours!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 10:48 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Forgot to turn off my JR 8103. Left it on for 8 hours!!

Well,this is a first for me. After leaving my 72mhz 8103 tx in the closed foam case with the antenna down, the module sure was pretty darn warm. I haven't had a chance to field check it yet, but I'm afraid that it might give me a decent looking test on the ground with JR's recommended 50- 60 yard test , but I'll discover that it's not good for 100-200 yards in the air by losing a plane. It's hard to do 100-200-300 yard ground tests and be able to see precise and instant aileron or elevator surface movements from that far with the plane when it's sitting there on the ground or on top of a ladder.

Though I suppose I can try to probably rig up a tripod with a telescope and try to do such long distance kinds of ground tests, maybe somebody can tell me what their experience has been with leaving on a 72mhz JR tx for hours like I did....and what I might expect.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:11 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Why don't you just call Horizon tomorrow and ask them?

I don't think JR Americas is doing service work yet.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:42 AM
rustyrivet

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Why don't you just call Horizon tomorrow and ask them?

I don't think JR Americas is doing service work yet.
I discovered this late Saturday night. In the meantime now on Sunday, the suspense is killing me. I'll do a 200 yard ground check today out in the field and see what I find.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:17 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing will happen other than paying attention so it doesn't happen again. I left my 9303 on and when I discovered it the screen was blank. I panicked and though the back-up battery also died. Recharging the unit proved me wrong and the model memory was still intact. If you damaged the RF module than get a replacement but I don't think you did.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:03 PM
rustyrivet

Originally Posted by flycatch
Nothing will happen other than paying attention so it doesn't happen again. I left my 9303 on and when I discovered it the screen was blank. I panicked and though the back-up battery also died. Recharging the unit proved me wrong and the model memory was still intact. If you damaged the RF module than get a replacement but I don't think you did.
Yep, you're right. Don't know if it's the JR 72mhz radios that are resistant to this kind of thing because they have safeguards built into them, or what.(??) But I got alarmed after googling this last night to read others say that they have fried and ruined their 2.4 radios by doing this. It makes sense when these guys explained that the transmitter is sending out signals with the antenna down, so the impulses are contained and cause excess heat which fries the electronics.

It bothered me enough that I didn't want to wait until Monday to call Horizon just to ask.....Soooooo..... with today being my day off from work, I went out to a field today with my electric trainer strapped to the top of a 6' wood step ladder I brought along with me. I then walked 300 yards out into the field to test the radio function. (which is further then my old eyes can fly a plane anyway) Using a telescope mounted to a camera tripod at that distance, I was able to observe all radio input from my transmitter working, with all control surfaces moving and responding to the sticks.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:28 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

A flying buddy with a cellphone makes a nice accessory for doing long range radio checks ....
Old 10-04-2015, 07:26 PM
rustyrivet

Originally Posted by init4fun
A flying buddy with a cellphone makes a nice accessory for doing long range radio checks ....
Tried that twice with family members on cell phones and can tell you that it's confusing and doesn't work because the conversation goes something like this; "I just moved it. Did you just see it move or not?" ...or, "What do you mean you think you saw it move just a little? - I just finished moving the stab up and down 4 times!" or, "You think it twitched before I even moved the stick? Is it twitching or moving now?" ....etc. With a 50X target spotting scope focused on the plane, I can push the stick and see exactly what the control surface is or isn't doing at any time. You put bright orange or red plastic clamps clipped onto the control surfaces too, and it's easy to see movement even without a top quality scope.

Last edited by rustyrivet; 10-04-2015 at 07:29 PM.