Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 8411 servos/ problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 06:00 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JR 8411 servos/ problems

Well I'm finally putting all my JR 8411 servos to rest for good. Tired of changing out gears every year, tired of the jitters they have a reputation for and tired of wondering when and if they will cause a catastrophic flutter event. I just pulled them out of my 50 cc Slick 540 after they all started oscillating uncontrollably. I used to have trouble with mainly 8411 rudder servos but now they all have the dreaded disease. Probably my fault for using A123 6.6 volt batteries to power them but my old trusty Hitec 5985s and 5955s do just fine with the A123 voltage and have never had a problem, use much less power per flight and are using the same gears since new after 100+ flights. I just pulled a well used set of these old Hitec servos from a 50cc Yak 54 and installed them in my Slick 540 to replace those 8411s. WOW. No jitters, no oscillating back and forth searching for center problems and they are totally quiet at rest. Can't wait to fly my new and improved Slick 540 tomorrow. Maybe I'll use the 8411s on a 4.8 volt toy Robot or something and start saving for some new servos for my now servo less Yak 54.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:19 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you have a lot of use on these servos, very good chance the pots are probably worn. horizon will refresh them for you, not too expensive. I use 8411 and 8231 servos on 6.6 Volt A123 packs unregulated without issue.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:58 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could be right about the pots. Strange thing is when I install new gears they do OK for awhile then the twitching begins again. They are older but the same age as my Hitecs that have never had problems (knock on balsa). I flew the plane yesterday and today with the newly installed old Hitecs with similar specs as the 8411 s and the difference was very noticeable. The plane was so much more responsive I had to dial back throws and add quite a bit more expo on all rates. Also I was only using about 140- 150 ma per flight as opposed to the 250 ma per flight with the JR 8411s. If I could get the 8411s to behave properly for little expense I would still like to use them because I just can't afford $400 for new servos right now. $21 apiece for new gears and no idea how much for new pots almost pays pays for a new set of Hitecs that I have total confidence in.