Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio behaving badly

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 08:38 PM
E_T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio behaving badly

Backstory:
I have been loaned an RC truck off a friend who has left the country. He never really used it and left it with me to try get it going. So most of this is fairly new to me. I have some free time over the xmas break so thought I'd have a crack at getting it working.

The Radio gear is and HSP brand, fairly old but never used and works on an am frequency.

Problem:
The servos are just not doing what they should. I suspect the receiver is shot but wanted to run it past some knowledgeable folk before diving in and getting a new one.

Whats happening is, once turned on, the receiver and transmitter pair (sometimes, only within a meter of eachother), controls are somewhat glitchy while the channel one has a direct influence on channel two, but not the other way around.

If I move the tx, the thing goes crazy and most likely no longer communicates with eachother, and each servo will just max out

What I've done so far:
- Checked batteries and replaced all of them with shiny new ones.
- Check both antennas are not broken or disconnected
- Yelled at it
- Made sure both tx and rx have matching crystals

I've uploaded a video of the problem to youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG4lBTv9As0
Old 12-25-2015, 04:34 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Merry Christmas, and welcome to RCU.

What's going on with your Tx/Rx is messed up to say the least. That signal is "seeping" somewhere, and my first thought was the receiver also. You've done just about everything possible to diagnose the problem. One other thing to try/do is check the insides of the transmitter and receiver for loose wires, and extend the Tx antenna. It may sound funny, but I've had range issues before with not having the antenna fully extended or wire has worked it's way loose from the solder connection.

I would like to tell you to see if another receiver would solve the issue at hand, and this may not be an option. But after taking the time; tracking down a receiver for x amount of money; waiting for it to arrive....you could have a great new 2.4ghz system for $50 or below. I've used a Airtronics/Futaba AM radios for the longest time. Having little ones and new RCers over at the house, to let them try their hand at driving, it was time to make the switch to the newer technology.

Last edited by RustyUs; 12-25-2015 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:05 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe somebody else will jump in here and offer their thoughts. If you don't have a hobby shop/friend around to ask to try another set of crystals... For a no nonsense 2.4ghz Tx/Rx system @ a rock bottom price ($30.72 & free shipping) that includes EPA (end point adjustments) on the steering and throttle channels....HPI's TF-40. You might find a system that is a couple of dollars cheaper, but more than likely won't have EPA controls or free shipping.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:30 AM
bobandrews

RADIO PROBLEM...I have a relatively new Spektrum DX 6 radio. It acts erratically with respect to elevator. Sometimes the elevator works properly others it doesn't react at all or is erratic in the servo' movement. I have bound the Apprentice S to a Spectrum DX 5 radio and the elevator works fine. Also put new batteries in the DX 6 and that didn't help. New servo didn't help either.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by bobandrews; 12-27-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:32 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interchange the elevator and rudder servos; i.e. plug the rudder into the elevator slot and the elevator servo into the rudder slot. Now active the system and and see if the same servo acts up. If it does, you have a servo problem, it the other servo is now acting up it is the transmitter that is the problem.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:38 PM
bobandrews

Thank you. I will try that, I have changed the elevator servo with a new one with the same result,also, the elevator servo works fine when I bind the plane to my DX 5. Transmitter.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:39 PM
Aerocal