Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR XF 631 72.490 MHz Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 05:07 AM
jerry rauch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR XF 631 72.490 MHz Radio

I have 2 JR631 72.490 MHz radio systems that I bought new in 2001. They have never been used. I never got around to completing the planes then, due to work loads and other hobbies.
I have since retired and getting back into the hobby. I see where current radios are 2.4 . Does this mean that the old radios are scrap now? I saw where someone can convert the older radios to the new 2.4. Is this a wise choice? I really don't know enough about aircraft radio control at this point.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:10 AM
Larry882

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jerry,
you can still use them but will need to get new batteries. Just about everyone is using 2.4 nowadays.
With 2.4 it is pretty much a nobrainer and thats where the hobby has gone to.
Larry
Old 01-20-2016, 12:47 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the advantages the 2.4GHz radios have over 72MHz radios is that the 2.4 radios have pretty much eliminated frequency conflicts. While not perfect, it is much better than depending on your fellow modelers from not turning on your frequency while flying. For that reason some events and clubs have banned 72MHz. It is still legal and if your location is like mine, quite a few people are still using it.

If you want to go to 2.4, you would be better off buying a new radio. While there are add-on modules that can plug into your trainer port, you would not be getting the benefits the newer 2.4 radios have such as telemetry and better programming.

Allan