Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Can I use an 11.1v LIFE battery in older transmitter?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Can I use an 11.1v LIFE battery in older transmitter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 01:22 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Can I use an 11.1v LIFE battery in older transmitter?

I need a new battery for my JR XP6102 transmitter and unfortunately can't find a 9.6v Ni-Cad with the appropriate connector. I found a LiFe battery on ebay but it's rated for 11.1v and was wondering if it's safe to use in this radio?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-1V-2200mA...4AAOSw7aBVE3XI

Here are pics of the transmitter and old battery:

Old 02-28-2016, 06:08 PM
Aerocal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the description that pack says it is LiPo. 11.1 volt is the nominal rating for a 3cell LiPo but fully charged it will be 12.6. This is considerably higher than a fully charged 8cell NiCd of NiMh pack. This question has come up in the past many times and some will say "oh yes I have been using a 3cell LiPo replacement with no problem". While this may be true all of the radio manufacturer do not recommend it. It will heavily abuse the regulator system that was designed to run at a lower voltage.
The best recommended solution is to find a LSD type(eneloop) NiMh pack as a replacement.
A 3cell LiFe at 9.9 volts will not harm a radio designed for 8cell NiCd/NiMh but the low voltage alarm
in the Tx may not be ideal anymore.
It may not be dirt cheap but you really should replace with something like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENELOOP-TWIC...0AAOSwT6pVpnZ~
Old 02-29-2016, 04:37 AM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by Aerocal
From the description that pack says it is LiPo. 11.1 volt is the nominal rating for a 3cell LiPo but fully charged it will be 12.6. This is considerably higher than a fully charged 8cell NiCd of NiMh pack. This question has come up in the past many times and some will say "oh yes I have been using a 3cell LiPo replacement with no problem". While this may be true all of the radio manufacturer do not recommend it. It will heavily abuse the regulator system that was designed to run at a lower voltage.
The best recommended solution is to find a LSD type(eneloop) NiMh pack as a replacement.
A 3cell LiFe at 9.9 volts will not harm a radio designed for 8cell NiCd/NiMh but the low voltage alarm
in the Tx may not be ideal anymore.
It may not be dirt cheap but you really should replace with something like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENELOOP-TWIC...0AAOSwT6pVpnZ~

Thank you, I will get that. Do you know if it's safe to charge that battery through the charging jack in the transmitter?
Old 02-29-2016, 07:33 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gee! Just cut the connector off the old pack and solder on to a new NiCd battery!
Old 02-29-2016, 07:36 AM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by RCPAUL
Gee! Just cut the connector off the old pack and solder on to a new NiCd battery!
I'm not that handy.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:52 AM
Aerocal

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
Thank you, I will get that. Do you know if it's safe to charge that battery through the charging jack in the transmitter?
Yes. That is one of the best parts about a NiMh replacement. You dont have to remove it everytime you want to charge.They are a direct replacement for an original pack. The other good part is that LSD(low self discharge) cells like Eneloop dont lose charge when not in use. They are generally 4 times the capacity of the older NiCd packs so they take alot longer to charge. You wont be disappointed in the performance.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:11 PM
Chumley54

I love the eneloops, I have some that are 2 years old in heavy use and still going strong. I have thrown away newer rechargeables (energizer, no names, store brands) but those eneloops just keep going....I have about 32 AA cells now, as I use them in everything...Brother Ptouch printers, can openers, everything using AA batteries...They last longer on a charge than alkalines (I have a nasal irrigater that gets a week and a half on alkalines, gets 30-35 days on the eneloops....)

Great batteries...