Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Question about the newfangled gun-type radio transmitters.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Question about the newfangled gun-type radio transmitters.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 12:13 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about the newfangled gun-type radio transmitters.

Years ago, I did RC with the old-fashioned Futaba controllers with the stick controls. The Futaba radio had the option to make the stick/channel for the throttle ratcheting or returning automatically to the center position when the stick was released by changing out some simple parts.

In the ratchet mode, the throttle would stay in any position when released. This reduced operator fatigue if one wanted to cruise his plane, boat or car at a set speed for a while.

I had a model sailboat and hence had no throttle for power. I had a 2-channel Futaba. One channel for sail winch and the other for the rudder servo. Using the ratchet mode was undesirable for the rudder since it felt more natural for the rudder to spring back automatically to dead enter following a turn. Controlling the sail winch stick under ratchet tension made sense, however.

I was thinking about using a pistol-style control for an up-and-coming scale model electric boat.

I am not sure this type of radio would feel natural. I want to be able to instantly reverse my prop in case of emergencies to stop the boat to avoid collisions.

How does one put his model into reverse with a pistol radio anyway?

How does the throttle trigger work as far as direction control is concerned?

Does the trigger automatically spring back when released? Can the trigger be set up in a mode where it can be held in any position by itself as in the case of steady-speed cruising? I don't want to hold a trigger in place for a long time with my finger while cruising my boat around the pond.

There are a lot of pistol type radio systems on amazon.com for 25 to 40 US dollars complete with transmitter and receiver. Some or 2 and others are 3 channel units. They are the interference/jamming free designs with binding feature.

Are there any such 2/3 channel traditional stick-type radio systems out there at such a low price range with this same binding/interference-free feature?

My old Futaba used changeable crystals for selecting different frequencies to avoid interference with other RCers nearby. We would have a number flag attached to our long antennas to show others our channel. My Futaba used channel 85 crystals and the sail on my boat displayed number "85" decals as well.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:21 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You squeeze the trigger to go forward and push it to go backward. Some have a braking feature also. Lots of inexpensive 2.4Ghz radios available for airplanes, which can be used for boats also. Back in the day I used my airplane radio to do boats and cars. Try out Tower Hobbies for more info and availability. Their Tactic brand is very reliable and receivers are low cost.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:46 AM
[email protected]

Thanks, raptureboy. I think I will just order the Futaba 2DR AM R162JE with 2 S3003 27/75MHz Transmitter
2 channel stick complete radio set from amazon.com. About 50 dollars and change. This is the old-fashioned AM crystal set I am familiar with. Includes receiver and two standard servos to boot! I did not see if optional aftermarket crystals are still available for these sets. Futaba may stock extra crystals at their site.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Chumley54

LOL
newfangled gun-type radio transmitters.
I hadone of those new fangled gun type controllers in 1989....how long have you been in RC? Futaba has been making gun type controllers as well as Airtronics, for over 30 years....

I have a Furaba Attack (2 channel Stick) sitting next to a Futaba Magnum Jr (older than the 2 stick).

However, this new 2.4 GHz stuff is really much better than the older AM or FM radios, IMHO.

Right now I have 6 radios, 4 older AM ones, and 2 new fangled SkyRC ones. The cheaper SkyRC one was $36 and a second receiver was $7. The Furaba stuff, while still an excellent radio, is 3 times that for the same features.

At any rate, the SkyRC sticks can be adjusted for spring return or stay in place by adjusting the springs....So you can go stick or gun, and get what you need.

A 6 channel SkyRC is under $100 with receiver, with enough change for a servo or two....You can use it for boats, planes, cars, etc....very useful...it has a 10 model memory, so you can have an assortment of toys on one transmitter, and since the recievers are inexpensive (6 chan is about $15), it is cheap to equip up.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:15 PM
[email protected]

Cool How long have I been in RC?

I was in RC in:

1983: bought a couple of Radio Shack toys: a BMW race car and a Sherman tank: had stick-style radio: digitally-proportioned
1984: push-button controller for a toy semi-truck: turning dial on top of cab to indicate forward, neutral and reverese
1992: couple of 4-channel el-cheapo glow plane kits: Futaba 4-ch two sticks
1993: sailboat kit: 2-ch Futaba with sticks
2012: toy boat: two-sticks
2013: toy Toyota racer: two-sticks
Old 03-14-2016, 04:59 PM
Chumley54

Been around as long as me then...When I was a kid, there were no RC, only wired....Heck, my mother had one of the first transistor radios ever made, a Toshiba...weighed a ton..all hand soldered inside....

I was hanging out in Radio Shack before it became RS, was the "Tandy" Store. Hippy beads and leather work on one side, electronics on the other. Used to build all the little kits...Seems like most geeks my age built the strobe lamp in the little square box too. Sounds like you were one of the geeks too....

I never had the RC tank, but did build the Tamiya Kits....I couldn;t afford the motor/transmission for it at the time....

Lots of fun....Everything has come a long way.....
Old 03-16-2016, 04:49 AM
jmburt01

Yo u guys pretty old. They need to make a golden oldies section so you guys can talk about the glory days of rc.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:22 AM
Pippin

Futaba, KOpro and Sanwa/Airtronics still make stick radios for cars & boats:

It's the cheapest: http://www.rcmart.com/futaba-2hr24g-...l?cPath=36_818