Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum TM1100 telemetry module set-up

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 08:13 AM
flyham21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum TM1100 telemetry module set-up

I have been having great problems getting my 14 month old DX6 radio to bind with my new Spektrum TM1100 telemetry module.

Following the Spektrum binding instructions, both receiver and telemetry module go into bind mode okay with flashing LED's, but only the receiver light becomes steady after binding...the TM1100 module light just goes out and I get no telemetry.

Ideas tried over the last 3 weeks:-

• firmware upgrade to the DX6
  • distance increase between module and receiver of > 3 feet when binding
  • distance increase of DX6 to both rx and TLM module of > 10 feet
  • Another two, AR6115e receivers tried
  • a new AR6255 receiver (recommended) tried
  • a Y lead and bind link to eliminate possible problems with the TM1100 bind button
  • a replacement TM1100 module!

I have over the weeks been in correspondence with the US HH support and they have been helpful but we have now seem to have reached an impasse. Anyone else seen these problems and found a fix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60lebZoewU4

Last edited by flyham21; 06-04-2016 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:01 PM
rpellicciotti

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AR6155e receiver is not listed as compatible with the TM1100 in the manual. The AR6255 is listed. I'm not sure what telemetry you are trying to get with this setup but according to the Spektrum Telemetery Compatibility chart, there is very limited functionality available for your configuration. That doesn't explain why you are not getting anything at all though. The only thing I can think of that you didn't mention is that you have to have your sticks centered and the throttle full down when you bind.

http://spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPM_Telemetry_Compatibility.pdf

Old 06-01-2016, 01:32 PM
flyham21

Originally Posted by rpellicciotti
The AR6155e receiver is not listed as compatible with the TM1100 in the manual. The AR6255 is listed. I'm not sure what telemetry you are trying to get with this setup but according to the Spektrum Telemetery Compatibility chart, there is very limited functionality available for your configuration. That doesn't explain why you are not getting anything at all though. The only thing I can think of that you didn't mention is that you have to have your sticks centered and the throttle full down when you bind.

http://spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPM_Telemetry_Compatibility.pdf

I'm looking for just fIight battery data and talking to HH they say that should be available in the 6115e and the 6255 receivers. And yes all the sticks are in the right position when I bind. This must be confirmed by the fact that the receiver binds okay too.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:54 AM
flyham21

It would appear, although I stand to be corrected, that modules sold in Eu are only DSM2 but are sold as DSM2/DSMX. Most with the older Spektrum transmitters have DSM2 / DSMX capability so that although you think you have a DSMX module its actually DSM2. If like me you have the newer DX6 then its is DSMX only and thus will not work with the TM1100. The larger TM1000 module is DSMX however and thus will work with the DX6. But I still haven't found a TM1100 which is fully DSMX...have you?
Old 06-20-2016, 10:15 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by flyham21
It would appear, although I stand to be corrected, that modules sold in Eu are only DSM2 but are sold as DSM2/DSMX. Most with the older Spektrum transmitters have DSM2 / DSMX capability so that although you think you have a DSMX module its actually DSM2. If like me you have the newer DX6 then its is DSMX only and thus will not work with the TM1100. The larger TM1000 module is DSMX however and thus will work with the DX6. But I still haven't found a TM1100 which is fully DSMX...have you?
All TM1000 and TM1100 modules are fully DSMX and always have been. (There is no such thing as a partial DSMX.)

Andy
Old 06-20-2016, 10:33 AM
flyham21

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
All TM1000 and TM1100 modules are fully DSMX and always have been. (There is no such thing as a partial DSMX.)

Andy
Thanks for your input...most useful but baffling! Perhaps you tell me why I'm in trouble then? I have tried two from different UK sources and neither worked. Both had DSM2 on the labels unlike the TM1000 which is marked with the X symbol. They bound ok with my DX6i but not with the DX6. I have now bought a TM1000 and it bound fine with the DX6. But I'd still like a TM1100 because of its smaller size.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:39 AM
AndyKunz

No, I have no idea why you're having trouble. I would simply contact our UK office so they can straighten things out with you.

All the units we built were DSM2/DSMX even though the label says DSM2 on very early production items (DSMX had been in internal use for a year, but we did not announce nor enable it in consumer DX8s it so all the labels only said DSM2).

You bought them from a genuine Spektrum dealer?

Andy
Old 06-20-2016, 10:49 AM
flyham21

No, I have no idea why you're having trouble. I would simply contact our UK office so they can straighten things out with you.

All the units we built were DSM2/DSMX even though the label says DSM2 on very early production items (DSMX had been in internal use for a year, but we did not announce nor enable it in consumer DX8s it so all the labels only said DSM2).

You bought them from a genuine Spektrum dealer?

Andy
One was bought from Wireless Madness and the other from BRC hobbies who sell other Spektrum products. Both are UK on line sources with websites if you wish to have a look and each module came in what seemed genuine Spektrum packaging. I have been in touch with Horizon Hobbies in the UK and US ...the latter have been very helpful but are also somewhat at a loss to explain what has been happening. It was they that suggested the TM1000 as "they know that one works with the DX6"!
Old 06-20-2016, 10:55 AM
AndyKunz

UK Service: http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/service-advice/index.html
DE Service: http://support.horizonhobby.de/servi...taktieren.html

The DE office has more resources (much larger selling area) so they may be able to help better than UK. They were the "point office" for EU 1.8.1 changes and information, so they may have better answer as well.

And they speak English.

Andy
Old 06-20-2016, 11:59 AM
flyham21

UK Service: http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/service-advice/index.html
DE Service: http://support.horizonhobby.de/servi...taktieren.html

The DE office has more resources (much larger selling area) so they may be able to help better than UK. They were the "point office" for EU 1.8.1 changes and information, so they may have better answer as well.

And they speak English.

Andy
Okay thanks I'll give them a try.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:23 AM
flyham21

This was the reply from HH in Germany, but I'm not sure I'm much further forward really. I kinduv knew this already:-

"This problem is caused by the new DSMX-protocol which is no longer compatible with old DSM2 receivers and the TM1100 since the EU has changed the norm for 2.4 Ghz-frequencies EN 300 328 1.8.1"

So why are the TM1100's been sold as DSMX compatible?

Regards
Old 06-22-2016, 05:47 AM
AndyKunz

I just spoke with the tech director.

Update the code in your transmitter to the latest version. This may correct the issue.

There were some TM1100's built that did not work with all transmitters. We caught most of them before they were shipped out, but apparently you got some.

If the update of your transmitter doesn't correct it, please return it and the TM1100's to Horizon UK and ask them to contact me regarding them. They know my e-mail.

They will work fine with most other transmitters, it's just that the combination of your transmitter code and their receiver code that doesn't play well together.

Andy
Old 06-22-2016, 06:21 AM
flyham21

I just spoke with the tech director.

Update the code in your transmitter to the latest version. This may correct the issue.

There were some TM1100's built that did not work with all transmitters. We caught most of them before they were shipped out, but apparently you got some.

If the update of your transmitter doesn't correct it, please return it and the TM1100's to Horizon UK and ask them to contact me regarding them. They know my e-mail.

They will work fine with most other transmitters, it's just that the combination of your transmitter code and their receiver code that doesn't play well together.

Andy
Well in a further email from Germany they are saying the TM1100 is now discontinued! They also say that they only work with DSM2 /DSMX enabled transmitter which is what I surmised.

A s/ware update to the DX6 was the first thing I did weeks ago. Its now on 1.05a. That didn't cure the problem. I have sent all 3 TM1100's back to the vendors now so its going to be tricky to test any upgrades that Horizon UK might do!

Regards
Old 06-22-2016, 07:04 AM
AndyKunz

I'll explain it to Germany then for the future.

Andy
Old 06-22-2016, 08:02 AM
flyham21

I'll explain it to Germany then for the future.

Andy
And to the UK too, since they didn't seem to know what was going on either AND they never phoned me back with a solution, hence my posting here.

I'll see if I can get hold of another module to try here although very reluctant to invest any more since these difficulties.

Regards
Old 06-22-2016, 10:22 AM
AndyKunz

You had communications with the UK then? With whom did you speak? Thanks.

Andy
Old 06-22-2016, 10:38 AM
flyham21

You had communications with the UK then? With whom did you speak? Thanks.

Andy
After many abortive attempts and leaving messages I got through to "Tom". I explained my issues and he said he'd need to contact the US and he'd ring me back - he never did. I really have been left struggling with this issue since I bought my first 1100. This has been compounded by failures in my first two DX6 Tx's last year . I'm now on my third one which was shipped from Germany for some reason. It was then that I found it had no compatibility with my DSM2 receivers which I had to replace. I did at least think the TM1100 would not give me this problem, being new.

Regards

Regards
Old 06-22-2016, 10:57 AM
AndyKunz

Thanks. I'll talk to Tom.

Before you spend more money, just wait. I want to review it with several others first.

Andy
Old 06-30-2016, 11:29 PM
flyham21

This came in from Horizon Hobby today:-

"We have spoken with Spektrum about this matter. The TM1100 is a DSMX. The TM1100 is not compatible with the European Union Spektrum DX6 and DX7 G2 versions transmitters and possibly the DX18 tray transmitter. There are no plans by Spektrum to update the TM1100 to make it compatible with EU DX6 and DX7 G2 transmitters."

So if its true then there is little I can do. Seems a pretty poor deal to me?

Regards
Old 07-01-2016, 02:54 AM
AndyKunz

The actual quote should be, "I don't know if there are plans to update the TM1100..." because it is me that Tom asked.

Andy
Old 07-01-2016, 03:52 AM
flyham21

Well the quote came from the US office of HH who I have been having a long dialogue with, not the UK

Regards
Old 07-01-2016, 04:58 AM
AndyKunz

That's even better - it means both are saying essentially the same thing!

Andy
Old 07-04-2016, 12:11 AM
flyham21

It doesn't really help me in a desire to find a compact Spektrum telem module! Plus your only going to get more disappointed buyers as the sales of the DX6, DX7 G2 increase and more people find out that the their TM1100 sold as DSMX compatible isn't! It really behoves Spektrum to make all current kit on sale to be compatible with legacy and current transmitters? Surely its only a firmware upgrade for the TM1100?

Regards