Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

50Mhz valid anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:02 AM
wc5b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50Mhz valid anymore?

I was getting pretty active in RC planes prior to my divorce. Now two careers and three states later I am thinking of getting back into the hobby. One aspect I enjoyed was using 50Mhz with my license. Since then it appears there is a ton of new technology out there with Spectrum radios. I am guessing this negates the primary feature of 50Mhz in that it was much quiter channels. I was often the only person in my group that used 50Mhz, regardless of the three groups I associated with while in Hawaii. I only ever personally met one other person that used 50Mhz and he was on another channel all together. The other nice thing was you could use higher power which helped even more with a solid connection with the reciever.

My question is, is it even worth the extra headache special ordering 50Mhz gear? Or is the new equipment around just so much better that there is no real need? I run across just as much love as critique at first glance for these Spectrum radios.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by wc5b
My question is, is it even worth the extra headache special ordering 50Mhz gear? Or is the new equipment around just so much better that there is no real need? I run across just as much love as critique at first glance for these Spectrum radios.
Long story short; no it isn't worth the headache, just pickup a new system in the brand of your choice. Despite all the arguments, they'll all do the job. It would be good were you to peruse the threads for some input, most of it is jaded but there are some good information posts.

The programming is much more intuitive than you can imagine, the "connected feel" you'll get with the model due to the faster speed of the new radios (sort of like dialup Internet vs. broadband) has to be experienced to be believed. Just remember there isn't any cross compatibility between brands any more. There are a few clones out there of popular Spektrum and Futaba radios that some folks like as they are less expensive.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:26 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever 50mhz gear out there new has been sitting on a shelf as it has not been made for a couple of years. If looking to buy new, get 2.4. If used is OK, you can get the stuff for a song. If you like working on the radios, 50mhz is the way to go. Depends on planes too. If getting into competition flying, jets, or big planes; 2.4 is the way.