Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Futuba Attack 4 FP-T4NBL 75mhz 4 Channel Setup for Cruiser Boat ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futuba Attack 4 FP-T4NBL 75mhz 4 Channel Setup for Cruiser Boat ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Build

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futuba Attack 4 FP-T4NBL 75mhz 4 Channel Setup for Cruiser Boat ?

Hi all, I'm new here and wanted to say hey and ask a question.

I'm building a new electric 36" boat for cruising. No real speed involved, a longer run time is better.

Would the Futuba Attack 4 FP-T4NBL 75mhz with R4F-72 receiver and FP-S48 work ok in a slow cruiser boat?

If not, what would be a reasonable system? Also, there will be waves involved, so a longer range would be good.

What electric motor/battery would be good for a long run time?

Thanks!

Last edited by Build; 08-11-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:17 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

My Futaba Attack is narrow band. I use it for a sailboat. However, I think the 72 in R4F-72 means it is a 72 MHz receiver, not 75 and that is a problem. Just changing the crystal might work since ground systems usually don't need the distance of an air system. However, you'd be better off getting a 75 MHz AM receiver. But you would at least have to change to a Futaba 75MHz crystal on the channel of your transmitter.
The nice thing about using a 4 channel system is you can add features like lights to your cruising boat. I used one channel to separate the jib and main sails and one channel to add an electric motor for when the wind dies.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:17 PM
Build

Hi rgburrill,

That sounds like a great sailboat. I used this setup but it's been a long time. It has matching crystals already. I can't remember which voltages I used to power everything. Ideas where to find that info?

Do you have any thoughts on the motor/battery to power a 36" V hull cruiser? Thanks!
Old 08-11-2016, 06:21 AM
rgburrill

I only look at this site one or two times a day so sorry I didn't answer sooner. Also, I'm not a power boat person so I don't have any info on motors.

Regarding batteries, I use two sets, one for the receiver system and one for the backup motor. It' tempting to use one battery for both with a BEC but I like the idea of keeping my radio system charged up while my motor system runs down. I lost my first sailboat because the battery went so low that it just started sailing in circles in the middle of the lake when the battery went down. The Futaba servos have a tendency to swing hard to one end when that happens and you can't get them out of it.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:25 AM
rgburrill

BTW, Dumas Products has a cruiser in your size and they make great boat products. You should check their site for info on motors and batteries.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:47 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your AM transmitter is most likely wide-band, unless it has a "gold" sticker on it. The receiver is certainly not narrow band. If your transmitter's wide-band, then it is not legal to use.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Build

Rgburrill, Thanks for the info. A backup system is sought after because this boat will be in the ocean. I don't want to have to kayak to rescue it. Dumus Products looks interesting.

Bax, the transmitter has gold sticker. I used this system at one time, but my brother converted the transmitter later on for a project.

If I get a new receiver, would this system be worthwhile building? Since there will be waves, what would the effective range be?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2016, 11:06 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the transmitter's been gold stickered, it's legal to use...no problem there. The receiver may be wide-band, but if there are few, if any, other users on 75 MHz, you should be OK to use it as long as they are 3-4 channels away from your channel.

Here's the current AM receiver:

FUTL0209 R162JE 2CH AM75 W/BEC W/O XTL US$39.99

These parts can be ordered through any hobby retailer who sells Futaba systems and accessories.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:41 AM
Build

Thanks Bax, Do you know the approximate range over ocean water that I can get with this system?

I found the range in the manual, 500 meters. Thanks!

Last edited by Build; 08-12-2016 at 08:14 AM.