Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Anybody ever experienced permanant interference with 72mhz FM receivers?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Anybody ever experienced permanant interference with 72mhz FM receivers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:14 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody ever experienced permanant interference with 72mhz FM receivers?

I came back into this hobby after a 7 year absence last year, and I'm finding that all of my JR FM receivers suffer chatter and signal interference in either of the 2 different channels I use while using either of my two different JR8103 radios. I also received a couple of free stress tests too when the prop started turning unexpectedly and wouldn't stop until I pulled the plug! The solution is that I put PCM receivers in my planes to make everything work fine. Evidently, there is major interference in the area I live.(...and no, it's not that I don't have the modulation set properly on my radio).

Just curious, has anybody else experienced the same type permanent signal interference like this so that you can't ever use any standard FM receivers in your planes? Bummer.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:11 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electric planes? I have never tried a Im assuming a 600 or 700 receiver on an electric plane, but I know speed controllers are noisy electrically. They might not be able to reject the noise. I fly 72mhs but no electric on them.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:20 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

In my first electric sailplane, I replaced the FM receiver with a PCM due to lack of range when the motor ran.. Since then I’ve been using 2.4GHz with no problems.

Allan

Last edited by AWorrest; 09-22-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:20 PM
rustyrivet

Yes, they're electric, and 600, 700 receivers. Didn't bother trying my 9 or 10 channel receivers. They are FM too. Though I don't have to be running the motor to get the interference. Everything starts twitching without me even touching the sticks! So far, I haven't had a problem flying them with PCM.

Last edited by rustyrivet; 09-23-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:24 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a long shot, but have you changed all your light bulbs to CFL over the past few years? They are notorious for EMI.

Also, you might search for the problem by
a) turning off everything in the house to see if the interference goes away
or
b) tune a portable FM radio down to the bottom stop and use it to search for the source of the interference. It should hear ESC noise, if that's it.

Last edited by grotto2; 09-24-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:30 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every 600 I have used if hit the ground turned to junk. If you unplug the esc and run a regular battery is it ok? What voltage are you supplying to the receiver?
Old 09-29-2016, 05:55 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyrivet

I came back into this hobby after a 7 year absence last year, and I'm finding that all of my JR FM receivers suffer chatter and signal interference in either of the 2 different channels I use while using either of my two different JR8103 radios. I also received a couple of free stress tests too when the prop started turning unexpectedly and wouldn't stop until I pulled the plug! The solution is that I put PCM receivers in my planes to make everything work fine. Evidently, there is major interference in the area I live.(...and no, it's not that I don't have the modulation set properly on my radio).

Just curious, has anybody else experienced the same type permanent signal interference like this so that you can't ever use any standard FM receivers in your planes? Bummer.
If it's like this at home only and these 72 MHZ receivers work fine at the field , I'd say someone near you has an alarm system or something else that's swamping the RX's , and don't discount what grotto2 said CFLs especially but really any "switching" (rather than "transformered" or "ballasted") power supply ( like in all computers , TVs , and just about everything else these days) and notoriously electrically dirty and spew out spurious RF in horrendous amounts . As an antique tube radio collector I'm all too well versed on things that cause RFI and believe me they're everywhere
Old 10-01-2016, 08:33 AM
rustyrivet

Thanks for the input. I was just more curious about the "why" of it more then anything else. It's just good for me to be educated about these things and to be cautious with any purchases I make in the future with ANY kind of radio system including 2.4 Can you imagine jumping with both feet into a new $700 JR 2.4 system, only to find out that I can't use it because of interference!! I would need to check into anything first before just assuming it's OK where I live.

I'm not talking about interference at the workbench under the lights or near the radio. It happens from one corner of my backyard to the 100ft far opposite other corner of my property at my driveway. -Twitching without even touching the sticks. The solution is to use PCM receivers. All 6 of those that I have work 100% just fine. Thankfully, 72mhz PCM receivers can be bought for cheap these days being everybody is bailing out of 72mhz. Just bought another for $16 this week.

Last edited by rustyrivet; 10-01-2016 at 08:49 AM.