Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Tx for my 8yr old

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 05:52 AM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tx for my 8yr old

I've got a Fut. 8FG Super and need another Fut. Tx for my son to buddy box with me. What would be a good entry level Fut. Tx that he could fly most any .40-.60 stuff for the next several years? Should we buy 1 of the current 6ch offerings or look for a good deal on a used higher level Tx? Don't really know which way to go here other than wanting to stick with Futaba............

Thanks for any help!!!!
Old 11-09-2016, 03:38 PM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Futaba uses two different types of protocols - Fhss and Fasst. Your 8FG uses Fasst, while most of the less expensive Futaba's use Fhss. Both work well but they do not interchange. If I were you I would upgrade to a 14 FG (which does use both protocols) and let your son use the 8. You can find a good used 14 FG for about $280 or so. Or just get another 8 Fg for about $200.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:32 PM
pilotpete2

I like the idea of a new 14SG too, but the T6J is still a good lower cost way to get the son started in the hobby. The T6J will buddy box perfectly to the 8FG. Heck, I train on my 8FG with an old FM Conquest 6 channel for a buddy box...remember those??
Pete
Old 11-09-2016, 04:40 PM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the 6J 8J and now the 10J and they are great radios and will work fine for a buddy box. But now you have a 6J that is Fhss and a 8FG that is Fasst.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:59 PM
flygilmore

Well, the 14ch would make perfect sense but $ won't allow that to happen. I like the lower cost of the fhss rx's too. I'm guessing that the fhss is more or less just as solid as the fasst stuff?
Thanks for the insight btw!!!
Old 11-09-2016, 06:01 PM
krokodyl

I have not heard of any complaints of the fhss, so I'd say it's reliable enough. I personally would recommend the T6K over the T6J, because it has telemetry (the receiver that comes with it does telemetry out of the box I think), and a MUCH better screen. The 10j looks like a great radio to, but for that price you could probably find a used 14 sg.

Hubert