Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Solar Servos

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 11:05 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solar Servos

Hobbypartz is selling a brand of servo called "Solar". These things have unbelievable specs for their price. I realize that there will be folks out there who will condemn these without ever having owned one due to the price, saying you get what you pay for and since these are so affordable, they can't be any good. However, I would like to hear from folks who have owned them, both bad and good (if there be any). You can get high voltage, coreless, digital, metal geared, high torque standard size servos for $20.00. If these things are any good at all, they have to be the best deal on the net. I would love to hear from folks who have tried them as to just what quality they are.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:56 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Over the years, it has been a hit and miss with them servos. I've only know about them being used on the surface side of the hobby. The Solar 700 series of servos, although many say those to be "loud & noisy", gets good reports most of the time. Depending on what platform you plan on using them in...just get one/some. What do you have to loose?
Old 12-26-2016, 04:31 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

an airplane
Old 12-26-2016, 06:18 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I've been flying PowerHD servos in two prop planes (LF-13) and a turbine jet (LF-20) for almost 3 years and still waiting on one to have an issue, while I have watched multiple high end servos crash planes of all types during that time.

Some people swear by high end high dollar servos, but that isn't always saving a plane.

Last edited by Desertlakesflying; 12-26-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:42 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 20 plus Solar servos in planes, helicopters and trucks. knock on wood, I have not had an issue. The 771, 772's I have run in my truck have taken so much abuse I am surprised they have not exploded. I have the 770 in a blade 550x helicopter and they work just fine. I have the micro and 9 gram servos and they all work great.

I think some people use the servo as a badge of honor. See how great I am, I have this unubtainium geared servo with moon dust case CNCed in micro gravity and it can use 5.0v to 2200v, has a speed of .0000000001 for 60 degrees at 400v and puts out 6 metric tons of torque with a .0000000002 dead band.

I do have to laugh at some of the post that say a 60 sized plane's elevator needs at least 150 ounces of torque. I look back and see how long I flew with my Kraft servos that on their best day put out 40 ounces and the stock standard servo put out 42 ounces.

Buzz.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:59 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
i have 20 plus solar servos in planes, helicopters and trucks. Knock on wood, i have not had an issue. The 771, 772's i have run in my truck have taken so much abuse i am surprised they have not exploded. I have the 770 in a blade 550x helicopter and they work just fine. I have the micro and 9 gram servos and they all work great.

I think some people use the servo as a badge of honor. See how great i am, i have this unubtainium geared servo with moon dust case cnced in micro gravity and it can use 5.0v to 2200v, has a speed of .0000000001 for 60 degrees at 400v and puts out 6 metric tons of torque with a .0000000002 dead band.

I do have to laugh at some of the post that say a 60 sized plane's elevator needs at least 150 ounces of torque. I look back and see how long i flew with my kraft servos that on their best day put out 40 ounces and the stock standard servo put out 42 ounces.

Buzz.

exactly !!!
Old 05-26-2018, 03:34 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Just to revive an old thread and to state my to date experience with this very reasonably priced brand of made in China servos. As a weekend sport flier I have been for the past 4 years using Solar servos exclusively in my 1.20 size planes and so far I am very pleased with them as their overall performance has exceeded my expectations as I have never had an issue with any of them. I currently use A101's and D222's analog and digital non metal geared units and after numerous flights they continue to perform as well as when new and their centering ability continues to be as good or better than many higher priced big name brands...….just my 0.02 cents.

Last edited by karolh; 05-26-2018 at 03:37 PM.