Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

(Sorta) Newbie Tx Purchase Help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 08:32 AM
FlaminFokker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Sorta) Newbie Tx Purchase Help?

Hi folks, first post here. A little background. I am not totally new to the hobby. I got into it the first time about 15 years ago or so. Still int he days of FM. At that time I bought in with a 6 channel Futaba...which I quite liked. I did glow and some electric at the time. In fact, the last flying I did was when Spektrum introduced the first DX6i or whatever it was, so I do have experience with 2.4.

Anyway, several things drew me away from the hobby. Mostly I've never liked screwing with glow. Space and life at the time limited my ability to keep it up. Well now that the electric side is more accessible for the type of flying I'd like to do, I'm going to reenter the hobby, so I need to make a radio purchase.

Things don't seem to be as straightforward in that regard anymore. My first inclination was to lean Spektrum. I really liked the one I had, and I quite like the idea of sticking to the Horizon flagship for my reentry models. Everything seems to be straightforward with them.

So, I was looking at the DX8 gen 2. I was leaning 8 channel because I want something I can grow into. I'm mostly going to be interested in 3D, but would like some sport and warbrids in the hangar at some point. I never really got into anything bigger than .60 nitro planes before, but have always had the mind to go large scale and maybe one day into at least 50cc gas stuff. I'm not quite sure why these larger airplanes need more channels. To get the the point, I found the Futaba 10J and was thinking 2 more channels may be a better long term entry, but then my research indicates that Futaba has complicated things with their cross compatibility with receivers etc.

So I guess my question is...should I be aiming for more channels, or a more streamlined approach such as Spektrums? How far is 8 vs 10 channels going to get me? What are some considerations, etc. Being fairly new to the 2.4 game I just don't want to false economy my way into a new Tx. I want to get this right, and I was hoping I could get some insight from folks with more experience.

Apologies for the length of this one!
Old 12-30-2016, 02:59 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for the middle and get a DX9. If you are going to have electrics, there are loads of E-Flite BNF planes that have Spektrum receivers. I just ordered a 1.2 M Corsair from Horizon that was $50 off and free shipping today

The new Spektrums are easier to program than the Dx6i and don't have that twisty antenna that broke off.

Someone is going to bash Spektrum, but there are boat loads of them out there. Virtually everyone at my field and surrounding fields fly them with no problems. Horizon provides excellent support too

bob
Old 12-31-2016, 11:37 AM
harcosparky

I've had tons of Futaba and Spektrum in the past.

I've heard anecdotal arguments against both but never had a problem with either of them.

I've never known anyone to have a problem, just people who say they know people who had a problem ...... I ignore all that.

I'm looking for a new TX at the moment and the Spektrum DX-9 and a Futaba 10 channel are in the running.

I am setting a budget of $600 for the radio and $1300.00 for the aircraft. This one will be a 1/4 flying platform ...... probably Hangar-9's PNP Super Cub.

I am going to a shop in Pennsylvania to play with both radios side by side.

Like Bob said, there are plenty of planes on the market with Spektrum receivers already in them, so that is a plus for going Spektrum.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:20 PM
krokodyl

If electric is your thing, spektrum is probably the way to go with all the bnf models. I looked at the 10j vs dx8 g2, and it looks like the dx8 has more features, such as more voice options, servo slow (which the futaba only has on one channel, by mixing), and a few other minor things. The extra 2 channels on the futaba are not proportional, only on/off. They say that it's 8+2. Not saying that the futaba is bad, but it looks like the spektum is more bang for the buck. The dx9 has sliders so if you can, that's the one I would get.

harcosparky, the dx9 would be more of a match for the futaba 14 sg, I think. Sure, the 14 is more expensive, but comes with a receiver.

It's all personal prefrence really, and I'm sure you will get lot's of opinions. Oh, and I wouldn't listen to the people that say spektrum will brownout, if it does, that's their fault...

Hubert
Old 12-31-2016, 01:32 PM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by krokodyl

harcosparky, the dx9 would be more of a match for the futaba 14 sg, I think. Sure, the 14 is more expensive, but comes with a receiver.

Just gave a quick look ...... 14 SG is $599.00 .... DX9 Black is also $599.00

Both come with a receiver ...... and the 14 SG has 12 proportional channels and two switched.

Hmmmm ...... I don't believe the LHS is going to have the 14 SG in stock though.

Oh well they don't have the plane either ( seems interest in large scale planes is dwindling ).